• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mjblazor

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 28, 2011
    Is it against law to not register a gun sold between two private parties? Do I need proof of sale? what kind? what or where can I find the gun sale laws in indiana?

CrimsonRayne

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 13, 2012
    as far as I know, you don't need to do anything. I would get a bill of sale of some sort just in case the gun is ever used to commit a crime seeing as they will come to you first. I think a gun store can do a legit trade and re-register it, but it cost a fee.

Ideally there are quite a few people that would rather buy used due to it not being registered in their name if the government were to ever revoke the right to bear arms.

canterbc

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 13, 2012
    Noblesville
    Like a few said above, no registration is needed (or even possible i think.) A bill of sale may not be a bad idea on your part, but in no way is it required.

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    as far as I know, you don't need to do anything. I would get a bill of sale of some sort just in case the gun is ever used to commit a crime seeing as they will come to you first. I think a gun store can do a legit trade and re-register it, but it cost a fee.

Ideally there are quite a few people that would rather buy used due to it not being registered in their name if the government were to ever revoke the right to bear arms.

Now we not only register but we can re-register? This is false information.

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    There is no requirement in Indiana law for a proper person to document a firearms sale to another proper person. However, many members on INGO have decided to require the buyer to show their LTCH and compare it with the DL (checking name and address) as this provides some level of indication that the buyer is, in fact, a "proper person." (That is, if they were able to obtain a LTCH, they are likely not a felon or otherwise prohibited from owning a firearm.) Another level of CYA that some use is to draw up a receipt showing the firearm's make, model, and serial number as well as the names and addresses of the buyer and seller; however, there is no law requiring this.

CrimsonRayne

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 13, 2012
    i did give false info. yet apparently it is illegal to sell your gun to a known alcohol/drug user. I guess a bill of sale is also moot.

flatoutt

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    You do not need a bill of sale, or to register the gun. If you choose to do some type of transfer papers, it is totally up to you. That is why at gun shows in Indiana you will occasionally see signs that say "private collection". If you are a Indiana resident you do not need to do any paperwork, unless the guy selling the gun wants you to fill something out.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    I have sold and bought guns with nothing more than a handshake and an exchange of money for goods. I didn't check ID, I didn't ask for an LTCH. I simply asked if they were a resident of Indiana and if they were a proper person.

mjblazor

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 28, 2011
    I have sold and bought guns with nothing more than a handshake and an exchange of money for goods. I didn't check ID, I didn't ask for an LTCH. I simply asked if they were a resident of Indiana and if they were a proper person.

ur under citizens arrest. meet me tomorrow for your incarceration.:laugh:

Top Bottom