• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • INGunGuy

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2008
    Jeffersonville, Indiana
    1) If you are a legal resident of Indiana, do not even TRY to sell your gun outside of Indiana.

2) Ask the buyer to see their Drivers License to verify they are also a resident of Indiana. If you sell to an out of state buyer, you risk being arrested on the spot.

3) It sure doesn't hurt to ask if there is any reason the buyer can't legally own a gun. You never know what you will hear. Asking if they have been convicted of a felony is too narrow.

I expect to see more sting operations at gun shows, whether initiated by bloomy or not.

Well a couple of things you said were pretty obscure, like selling a gun outside of Indiana, if you can quote federal code, or Indiana Code, I would love to see where I cant sell a gun outside of indiana. The law states that I cant sell a HANDGUN to someone outside Indiana, without it being trasferred via a FFL, but since the law does not require me to gather any information, that is pretty much a moot point also. As for asking for a drivers license, again since there is no federal or state law requiring the gathering of ANY information on the purchaser other than a cursory attempt to verify the are not considered a "excluded person" I am not saying that a person should just up and sell a firearm to someone with no questions asked, but the law doesnt require any questions to be asked.

INGunGuy

Eiffelman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2009
    If Granny has the key to that locked hard shelled carrying case, the handgun is still readily accessible. Now wrapping it up in a bunch of duct tape kind of takes 'readily accessible' out of the picture.

Mike_M

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2009
    Beautiful Milan
    INGunGuy,
    The obscure point I am referring to is 18 USC 922(a)(5). While it doesn't say that you HAVE to check ID, I would do it anyway. I am not an attorney, but I don't want to be arrested and have to try to make my point later in court at great expense when asking for ID is such a simple thing to do.

Mike

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    If Granny has the key to that locked hard shelled carrying case, the handgun is still readily accessible. Now wrapping it up in a bunch of duct tape kind of takes 'readily accessible' out of the picture.

"Readily accessible" is not codified in Indiana statutes. "Secure wrapper" is. In fact, it doesn't need to be broken down, either, just unloaded. The red highlighted portion in the IC I quoted above is the only thing she needs to worry about.

On a side note, I'd not want to try to clean a bunch of duct tape adhesive off my brand new gun.

Eiffelman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2009
    "Readily accessible" is not codified in Indiana statutes. "Secure wrapper" is. In fact, it doesn't need to be broken down, either, just unloaded. The red highlighted portion in the IC I quoted above is the only thing she needs to worry about.

On a side note, I'd not want to try to clean a bunch of duct tape adhesive off my brand new gun.

'Secure wrapper' has probably been in that statute for many, many years. Granny isn't worried about getting some sticky duct tape on her home defense handgun because Grandpa left her a bunch of solvent in the garage. Hope she has it wrapped in heavy packing paper first before all the duct tape goes on. Then she can drive it home in her Bravada 4 X 4.

revance

Expert
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Zionsville
    I wonder if there are any recommended standard questions for a seller/dealer to test mental competency of a prospective Buyer?

Easy... most idiots love to talk just to hear their own voices. Just chit chat with the person for a few minutes and you will know if they are a complete idiot who you shouldn't sell a gun to. There are no laws against discriminating against idiots. Just tell them you changed your mind after they tell you about "this one time, me and my buddy...".

Unfortunately, many dealers/employees fall into that category too. I use the same standards to determine who I will buy a gun FROM. :rolleyes: The sooner those guys go out of business, the faster we can get rid of the bad reps associated with gun shows and gun owners. Last time I was at the 1500 I was looking for some 9mm defensive rounds and the tool working a booth pulled out a 20 year old box of black talons and told me they were "the original cop killer". I just said "no thanks" and walked away.

Top Bottom