• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    I just told my buddy that it's to much of a hassle, I've almost got 50 posts anyway so if I decide that I still want to sell it I'll just put it in the classifieds or something.

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    I wouldn't do it on a bet...too many different local laws. However if he says it is legal for him to own and if you do sell to him make sure you get a copy of his FOID card and ID for your records.

Hmm, if I, as an Indiana resident, sell a rifle to a friend who lives in Ill, and the sale takes place in my house in Indiana, and *I* required to abide by Illinois laws. Remember, I am an Indiana resident, and the sale is happening in Indiana. As far as I know, the buyer may intend to keep it in Indiana.

Either way, I wouldn't sell a BRICK to someone who lives in Illinois, because there's probably some law about it over there.

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    As a former Illinois resident, my advice is to don't sell it to him. Slap him silly until he realizes there's no reason to live in that state and moves here. That state's just bad news in every way. I'd do FFL and nothing else.

RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    wow, this thread should be deleted and started fresh with only corret info. then you should make it a sticky.

That is a very good idea Vette.

Sadly I don't think I will sell my friend my rifle, it just seems like a hassle when he could just buy one locally, it's not like Yugo M70AB2's are rare or hard to get or anything.

finity

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Auburn
    You cannot sell a weapon to a resident of another state unless you have an FFL.

A non-FFL can sell the long-gun to a resident of another state as long as it complies with the laws of both states. The only reason the FFL is needed is to do the final transfer. The FFL is not selling the gun the private person is.

Mike_Indy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Trying not to hijack here. Similar scenario... so here goes...

Selling a rifle. I live in IN, Mans dad, resident of IN, is paying me (in person) for the gun. It "may" end up in another state, not IL.

Should I do this or use an FFL and pay for shipping as well as fee if it needs to go to another state?

What say you?

finity

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Auburn

Selling a rifle. I live in IN, Mans dad, resident of IN, is paying me (in person) for the gun. It "may" end up in another state, not IL.

Should I do this or use an FFL and pay for shipping as well as fee if it needs to go to another state?

What say you?

If the person you are selling it to is the "actual purchaser" (i.e. he's not intentionally buying it for someone else who can't, like being a resident of another state) I would have no problem selling it to them. What they do with it after you sell it is out of your control.

I would get some kind of reciept if you have any inkling that he may sell it out of state later just to cover yourself.

BUT.....

From reading your post it looks as though you're selling it to someone who lives out of state but you are physically getting the money from & giving it to someone who is a resident of IN who will, as was the original intent, give it to the out of state person as a way to beat the legal requirement to use a FFL to do the transfer.

Sorry. That is a straw purchase. That is a federal felony.

Just use the FFL.

my :twocents:

Michiana

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Granger

What say you?

Being a FFL I always lean towards the safe side and in this case you know what is going on and it is illegal. If you get hauled into court to testify are you willing to lie that you did not know the true intentions of the buyer? Risk going to jail to save $20 is not very smart in my book. :twocents:

Midskier

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 25, 2012
    NWI IL/IN BORDER
    any updates to this 2 year old post or still the same answer - as I understand :
    IN resident ships to IL FFL (after IL buyer pays) IL FFL receives firearm processes the NICS check when approved and waiting time passes IL buyer can pick up item from IL FFL.............

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    If the person you are selling it to is the "actual purchaser" (i.e. he's not intentionally buying it for someone else who can't, like being a resident of another state) I would have no problem selling it to them. What they do with it after you sell it is out of your control.

I would get some kind of reciept if you have any inkling that he may sell it out of state later just to cover yourself.

BUT.....

From reading your post it looks as though you're selling it to someone who lives out of state but you are physically getting the money from & giving it to someone who is a resident of IN who will, as was the original intent, give it to the out of state person as a way to beat the legal requirement to use a FFL to do the transfer.

Sorry. That is a straw purchase. That is a federal felony.

Just use the FFL.

my :twocents:
    That is incorrect - A "straw purchase" is made when a person purchases a gun for someone else. YOU MAY BUY A GUN AS A GIFT per the BATF rules.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    That is incorrect - A "straw purchase" is made when a person purchases a gun for someone else. YOU MAY BUY A GUN AS A GIFT per the BATF rules.

this statement needs some clarification as well.

A straw purchase is made when a person purchases a guy for someone who can't legally own a firearm.

You can buy a gun for a gift, sure, but it doesn't necessarily have to be a gift.

You can buy a gun for your friend because he has to work during the guy show, as long as he can legally own that firearm otherwise.

Last edited:

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    this statement needs some clarification as well.

A straw purchase is made when a person purchases a guy for someone who can't legally own a firearm.

You can buy a gun for a gift, sure, but it doesn't necessarily have to be a gift.

You can buy a guy for your friend because he has to work during the guy show, as long as he can legally own that firearm otherwise.
    What does male prostitution have to do with straw purchases? :):

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    any updates to this 2 year old post or still the same answer - as I understand :
    IN resident ships to IL FFL (after IL buyer pays) IL FFL receives firearm processes the NICS check when approved and waiting time passes IL buyer can pick up item from IL FFL.............

Pretty much nailed it.

Further clarification on the shipping: Mere mortals cannot ship handguns via USPS, but CAN ship long guns via USPS.

we can ship Long-guns & Handguns via "common carrier" - but their rules generally stipulate overnight shipping...which = $$$

An FFL-holder can ship just about anything via USPS. Generally it is a better deal financially to work out a deal with a gun shop to ship the gun to the receiving FFL. This should generally cost you $~30 or so. They can take advantage of the lower cost USPS rates and only charge you a "handling" fee.

Also note - some FFLs will not receive shipments from individuals anyhow. Anything that comes to them must be shipped from another FFL. Check with the receiving FFL first to see what they require.

SaintsNSinners

Shooter
    Rating - 94.1%
    16   1   0
    Mar 3, 2012
    At Work in Indy
    You cannot sell a weapon to a resident of another state unless you have an FFL.

Most Indiana FFLs will not sell to an Illinois resident because if they do not precisely follow Illinois state and local laws their license and freedom is at jeopardy.

IF you are going to effect a transfer mail it to an Illinois FFL.

If for some reason your friend cannot take delivery of the weapon, the FFL make keep and sell it without any compensation back to you.

If it were me I would explain to my friend that I can't do the deal. Too many bad things happen mixing guns, Illinois, and Chicago in the same drink.

Did anyone catch the epic fail in this post? An FFL cannot sell a rifle legally owned by someone else.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama

YES, but since you live on the IN/IL border, and if the person wanting your gun also lives near the border but on the IL side, you may be able to drive your gun to the IL FFL and deliver it to him, which will save you shipping costs. The IL buyer then would go through the IL procedure for purchasing the gun (produce FFL, fill out forms, background check, waiting period) from that FFL dealer.

Top Bottom