• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rjstew317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 13, 2010
    Fishers
    Here is another thing, I have a valid drivers lisence and a valid LTCH but the address is different. I did not want to pay the $20 for a new LTCH with my new address. I see people that put in there add must have matching INDL and LTCH, I also have a Utah permit but people don't ask for that. I have bought and sold alot of firearms and I also say go with the gut feeling.
    did you notify of the address change?

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    I always ask to see a LTCH and DL when I sell a gun. It seems that I always get at least one person who says "I want to buy it but I can't/won't show you my DL or LTCH." If you aren't willing to show me then I don't want to deal with you. Also, my LTCH has a different address then my drivers license but I faxed the change of address form into the state police.

Jake46184

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 2, 2011
    Indianapoils
    In Indiana, as long as they are age 18, and you have no reason to believe them to be a felon, all you need to get from them is their money. You have no further obligation. A good precaution for you, however, is to get their driver's license info.

us_agent

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2010
    All you need is a bill of sale showing where you sold whoever the gun just for CYA in case someone after you does something stupid with said gun.

It comes down to what you feel comfortable with. You do not need a BOS but if it makes you feel better than go ahead with it, otherwise go thru an FFL. As long as you have no reason to believe they are an improper person then you will be ok. I understand the paranoia but not everyone's a crook.

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    Ask to see a DL and have them sign a receipt of sale.

Yep, I don't have an LTCH. I've bought handguns from dealers without an LTCH, why can't I buy one from a person? I don't carry the firearm on me unless I'm going to a range, in which case it is unloaded, trigger locked, in a case, in the back of my blazer, with the ammo locked in the glove box.

When I sold my handgun, I didn't ask for an LTCH, I simply wrote up a bill of sale for both parties names and had it state that by signing, the purchaser complies that he/she is legally able to purchase and own the firearm in the state of Indiana. I also had it stated that after the purchase, I was not liable for any legal matters due to the firearm in question along with the make, model, and serial number of the firearm all within the bill of sale.

As long as they are an Indiana resident and 18 years of age you are perfectly legal to make the sale. Keep that bill of sale locked up, make at least 2 copies and both of you sign and date each document. From there your ass is covered. If something happens and the police come knocking on your door, show them that bill of sale. Case closed.

USMC_0311

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 30, 2008
    Anderson
    Yep, I don't have an LTCH. I've bought handguns from dealers without an LTCH, why can't I buy one from a person? I don't carry the firearm on me unless I'm going to a range, in which case it is unloaded, trigger locked, in a case, in the back of my blazer, with the ammo locked in the glove box.

You still need a license to take it to a range in Indiana. If you don't want the LTCH then you need the target/hunting license.

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    You still need a license to take it to a range in Indiana. If you don't want the LTCH then you need the target/hunting license.

I know the law hasn't passed yet, but I've never had a problem with it being locked up and not accessible. The point I was trying to make is that I don't own an LTCH because I don't carry a firearm on me. I'm not going to pay $125 for a little piece of pink paper so that I can buy a handgun from someone and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

All in all, a bill of sale works better than seeing someone's LTCH anyways. Who's to say they won't do something later on that voids their LTCH? I would think you'd have more problems by asking for an LTCH and letting the sale happen without a bill of sale than not seeing an LTCH and writing up a bill of sale. The paper is what's going to prove your innocence, not your word. Just my :twocents:

USMC_0311

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 30, 2008
    Anderson
    I know the law hasn't passed yet, but I've never had a problem with it being locked up and not accessible. The point I was trying to make is that I don't own an LTCH because I don't carry a firearm on me. I'm not going to pay $125 for a little piece of pink paper so that I can buy a handgun from someone and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

All in all, a bill of sale works better than seeing someone's LTCH anyways. Who's to say they won't do something later on that voids their LTCH? I would think you'd have more problems by asking for an LTCH and letting the sale happen without a bill of sale than not seeing an LTCH and writing up a bill of sale. The paper is what's going to prove your innocence, not your word. Just my :twocents:

Not argueing your point I just don't want someone else read it and think its legal to carry your pistol a range to shoot with out a license. Even its unloaded, locked up or whatever.

My :twocents: if I am buying you won't get anything from me but money. Same as selling I don't care to see anything just give me the money. I am not required by law to cover my ass.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    ...The paper is what's going to prove your innocence, not your word. Just my :twocents:

The paper doesn't do anything and it's not required, just like seeing an LTCH.

Both are simply to make some people feel better. We don't need to prove our innocence in such transactions.

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    Not argueing your point I just don't want someone else read it and think its legal to carry your pistol a range to shoot with out a license. Even its unloaded, locked up or whatever.

My :twocents: if I am buying you won't get anything from me but money. Same as selling I don't care to see anything just give me the money. I am not required by law to cover my ass.

Yeah good point, didn't think people would perceive it as being legal, but I'm glad you pointed it out just in case.

But I'm with you man, I write up a bill of sale just so it's not "he said she said" crap if something does happen...

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    The paper doesn't do anything and it's not required, just like seeing an LTCH.

Both are simply to make some people feel better. We don't need to prove our innocence in such transactions.

I know neither are required, but if you want to feel good about the transaction, shouldn't you at least do something that could potentially cover your ass? At least paper is physical evidence of proof unlike saying, "I sold it". :dunno:

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    I know neither are required, but if you want to feel good about the transaction, shouldn't you at least do something that could potentially cover your ass? At least paper is physical evidence of proof unlike saying, "I sold it". :dunno:

Then shouldn't it be witnessed and notarized? I could easily make up fake bills of sale for things I still own.

Nothing needs covered that I'm aware of. They're just guns.

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    Then shouldn't it be witnessed and notarized? I could easily make up fake bills of sale for things I still own.

Nothing needs covered that I'm aware of. They're just guns.

[strike]You can get a fake bill of sale notarized and witnessed just as much as a real one.:rolleyes:

None of it is necessary, but to make yourself feel good at least you'd have a paper with someone's name, signature, date of sale, and them taking liability. If you fake a bill of sale and police question that person who has never seen you before and you can't even point them out in a court room, your ass is grass my friend.[/strike]

Edit: Forget I said anything else. I'm not going to sit here and argue on the internet... you're right, sir. Congratulations, may the world forever bow to your most humble opinion and knowledge. :poop:

Last edited:

USMC_0311

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 30, 2008
    Anderson
    [strike]You can get a fake bill of sale notarized and witnessed just as much as a real one.:rolleyes:

None of it is necessary, but to make yourself feel good at least you'd have a paper with someone's name, signature, date of sale, and them taking liability. If you fake a bill of sale and police question that person who has never seen you before and you can't even point them out in a court room, your ass is grass my friend.[/strike]

Edit: Forget I said anything else. I'm not going to sit here and argue on the internet... you're right, sir. Congratulations, may the world forever bow to your most humble opinion and knowledge. :poop:

Why do you got to feel good?

Unless you knowingly sale to someone who can't own one then you have nothing to worry about. It is not your responsibility to play FFL. Simple questions are all that is necessary if you want to feel good. Are you 18? Are you an Indiana Resident? Are you allowed by law to buy a gun? If they answer yes, yes, and yes then thats good enough.

Top Bottom