• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hosshauler

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2013
    Clinton
    Has anyone out there tried Sellier and Bellot Primers? I bought some large pistol primers and plan to load 44mag and 45LC. I assume these are comparable to CCI 300?? Any comments are welcome. Thanks!!

I'm new to the forum so if I've screwed something up let me know. :)

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    Andrew at Profire sells them by the truckload. He was also using them when he was loading his Red Star brand ammo he sold. Seemed to work well.

MadMan66

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 7, 2012
    Hogshitt's Paradise
    Welcome to :ingo:
    I hear that Sellier & Bellot primers can be harder than most. I looked into this because I was experiencing light hammer strikes in my Kel Tec at the range (first time I shot the gun). I automatically assumed it was my gun, since some work but some didn't. I would have about 2 to 3 light strikes per 7 round mag (pretty frustrating at the time thinking I had to send it in). However, I've ran hundreds of other rounds through my gun since then without experiencing anymore light strikes.
    After this, I did some searching on the internet and found a lot of people complaining about the Sellier & Bellot primers with the same issues (in multiple different guns). The general consensus was that their primers are harder than others. However, other people would pipe in and say they have used Sellier & Bellot in a large range of different guns and it has always worked.
    My guess is that their primers ARE harder than most other brands, but probably only affects particular firearms. If it works in your guns 100% of the time, then I see no reason not to use them. I just stay away from them in my particular gun. Hope this is useful for you!

Steve B

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    KEWANNA
    Do to recent shortages on Winchester SP primers I switched to S&B SP primers. They have worked fine in 2 different M&P pistols, a Taurus and a SR9c. Hundreds of rounds down range so far and no issues.

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    Do to recent shortages on Winchester SP primers I switched to S&B SP primers. They have worked fine in 2 different M&P pistols, a Taurus and a SR9c. Hundreds of rounds down range so far and no issues.

Same here. I loaded them for the first time over the weekend in some 9mm loads. I have fired 250 between Sunday and today and every one went "bang".
    Using a Lee AutoPrime, they seemed easier to load than the CCI primer I had used.:dunno:
    Guns used was an MP9 and a SW3914.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    Welcome to :ingo:
    I hear that Sellier & Bellot primers can be harder than most. I looked into this because I was experiencing light hammer strikes in my Kel Tec at the range (first time I shot the gun). I automatically assumed it was my gun, since some work but some didn't. I would have about 2 to 3 light strikes per 7 round mag (pretty frustrating at the time thinking I had to send it in). However, I've ran hundreds of other rounds through my gun since then without experiencing anymore light strikes.
    After this, I did some searching on the internet and found a lot of people complaining about the Sellier & Bellot primers with the same issues (in multiple different guns). The general consensus was that their primers are harder than others. However, other people would pipe in and say they have used Sellier & Bellot in a large range of different guns and it has always worked.
    My guess is that their primers ARE harder than most other brands, but probably only affects particular firearms. If it works in your guns 100% of the time, then I see no reason not to use them. I just stay away from them in my particular gun. Hope this is useful for you!

This is my understanding as well. I bought 2k spp's anyways, because I don't own any finicky guns. I believe it is only a problem if your gun is cheap basically (i.e Kel Tec, Taurus, Sigma, Jennings, etc).

Hosshauler

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2013
    Clinton
    Thanks. I'm mainly using revolvers and lever guns in these calibers. I would think these guns are more forgiving than semi-autos.

MadMan66

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 7, 2012
    Hogshitt's Paradise
    This is my understanding as well. I bought 2k spp's anyways, because I don't own any finicky guns. I believe it is only a problem if your gun is cheap basically (i.e Kel Tec, Taurus, Sigma, Jennings, etc).

Agreed. My Kel Tec is a cheap little thing. It was gifted to me though, so I can't complain :D

Thanks. I'm mainly using revolvers and lever guns in these calibers. I would think these guns are more forgiving than semi-autos.

Yeah, it should be fine. I just thought I'd give you a heads up just in case.

87gsxr711

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 9, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Great info. I had the same question. Looking to start reloading for an M&P 9. Good to hear people have had good luck with these primers and the M&P

ludlow

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 26, 2009
    I've had some issues with my XD45 not always igniting the primer on the first strike with S&B primers. Maybe 1 in 25-30. I can load the round back into the gun and it will fire. I've not had any issues with CCI primers or factory ammo with the same gun. My 1911s will fire the S&B primers every time. Other than that issue, I still use them, I just won't use them to load SD rounds for my XD.

derrickgoins

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 23, 2009
    Westfield
    I've ran through about 2,000 S&B primers in my M&P 9mm and another 1,000 S&B primers in 45ACP. Haven't had an issue yet. I agree with everyone else, they do seem to be harder than the CCI primers I was using but that's nothing that's caused any issues so far.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I shot a lot of S&B 9mm ammo. A Beretta 92 lights them off fine. I can see that a revolver with a target tuned trigger job may have a problem.

Top Bottom