• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Has anyone done a self-defense class offered by their employer? I might have a chance to do something like that, but I'm wondering whether that's worth it, having done martial arts for a long time and shooting for a while now. If they go over stuff like BlueI's "precursors to a robbery," that might be helpful. But if it's about what to do if someone is trying to hold you down, I don't need that.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    We have been hired by business' to teach exactly that. I would like to think it was worthwhile to the employees and they said it was, but fortunately we have no way to measure that yet.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    If my employer were to offer a self defense or safety or first aid course or ............. I would personally take it. I still enjoy going to other instructors intro gun courses. It doesn't matter what level the course is or how much a person thinks they know, a refresher is always good. Plus you might come away with some new found knowledge. Even if you would do it differently.

ghostdncr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Louisville
    I would sign up for anything beyond the standard Run-Hide model. I'm quite capable of handling myself in a hostile situation but as VERT pointed out, I may learn something new and innovative from any training I sit through!

Hammer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    On the lake
    Ant training is good to go through, even if it is bad. But you have to decipher what is good and bad in the training, and use it accordingly.

GNRPowdeR

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Bartholomew Co.
    :+1: To all of the above responses... I actually wish my company would be willing to offer something other than the "sheep" or "ostrich" approach.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    :+1: To all of the above responses... I actually wish my company would be willing to offer something other than the "sheep" or "ostrich" approach.

I know where you work. Don't expect that to happen.

I have actually had my boss in a pistol class. He has actually taken a picture of a gun on his desk and sent it to me. We have a no weapons policy. Love the guy but honestly he is still not that safe when handling guns. Some people don't get it.

I have been advocating basic first aid and CPR training. Falls on deaf ears with our safety guy. He is worthless when it comes to organizing any real training or putting together meaningful emergency plans.

GNRPowdeR

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Bartholomew Co.
    I know where you work. Don't expect that to happen.
    Sadly, I agree. Still, I at least have (and am part of) an Emergency Response Team for the company / facility and am encouraged by the training we get...

I have been advocating basic first aid and CPR training. Falls on deaf ears with our safety guy. He is worthless when it comes to organizing any real training or putting together meaningful emergency plans.
    If you're guy is anything like my upper mgmt, it's gonna take something happening before plans are considered. Again, the "ostrich" approach...

Faine

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 2, 2012
    Indy (South Side)
    My employer maintains a very strict no weapons policy, they put out a video that said we members of management were the first line of defense for our employees, I looked the security manager in the eye, in front of my Co workers, boss and hr, and told them that if we had a security breach I would be in my car leaving the property calling 911. They even acknowledged in the class that the shooter would be done before police arrived but it was best to hide under your desk or in a dark room and throw things at the shooter. I was straight to the point brought up the fact that if just management was offered training and the option to carry more lives could be saved. The response was epic. "Our legal team views armed company personel as a liability to the safety of the employees and believes that this training class should be sufficient to protect everyone in the office."

I love the company I work for but this misguided policy will in the end be the one that causes me to leave them, I am just biding my time there for now supporting my family, once I am in a position where insurance coverage and pay aren't the most important things for my family I am out.

Top Bottom