Mishawaka indiana

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Yes I am signed up with Second Call Defense. I even went through the process to become a recruiter. Prior to this I carried the self defense rider on the Lockton Risk (NRA liability). There are pros and cons to each product but I felt Second Call Defense was the best choice.

A1Paracord

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2013
    I have the USCCA insurance. Hopefully I never have to use it but, if for some reason i would need it,it's there to fall back on.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Be careful with the whole "insurance" portion of these organizations. By law "insurance" can not pay until a person is acquitted of the charges. So these groups are basically a fund to get you out of jail and get a lawyer hired. If there is an actual "insurance" component the group will get reimbursed.

Lockton Risk sells an actual "insurance" policy. It is an optional rider on a personal liability policy. Portions of this carry over to Second Call Defense. I hope they make some adjustments since the liability portion seems a bit light to me. If self defense is your concern go with the Second Call product. If you want liability for hunting/sport shooting it is much cheaper through Lockton direct.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Yes I am signed up with Second Call Defense. I even went through the process to become a recruiter. Prior to this I carried the self defense rider on the Lockton Risk (NRA liability). There are pros and cons to each product but I felt Second Call Defense was the best choice.

What are the pros and cons of such insurance?

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Be careful with the whole "insurance" portion of these organizations. By law "insurance" can not pay until a person is acquitted of the charges. So these groups are basically a fund to get you out of jail and get a lawyer hired. If there is an actual "insurance" component the group will get reimbursed.

Lockton Risk sells an actual "insurance" policy. It is an optional rider on a personal liability policy. Portions of this carry over to Second Call Defense. I hope they make some adjustments since the liability portion seems a bit light to me. If self defense is your concern go with the Second Call product. If you want liability for hunting/sport shooting it is much cheaper through Lockton direct.

One additional comment. The Ultimate level of Second Call Defense provides the same level of liability insurance as Lockton's policy. $250,000. This is listed as "accidental shooting" which is basically when your bullets hit unintended things. The base liability from Lockton only covers this for sporting purposes unless you have the self defense rider. The Ultimate level includes this. But at $40/mo it is salty to say the least. If however I go back on the road for work I would upgrade and pay the fee. If I lived in a less gun/self defense friendly area I would pay the fee.

TAT7

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 27, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Tag, I have almost signed up with Second Call but am more curious to hear about the acquittal process. the defender package says $500,000 Civil Suite defense Protection. Is that for Lawyer fees? Is that reimbursement?

TAT7

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 27, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I actually just got off the phone with Second Call, spoke will Bill there and everything seems good to go. Very knowledgable. BTW this is not an "insurance" which, in this thread, it has been said that insurance can not be paid until acquitted which is true Being this is not insurance, they pay for everything up front to the limits of whatever your plan is. THEIR insurance will not pay THEM until their client has been acquitted is how Bill explained it to me. I like it.

ETA: The "Civil Suite Defense Protection" is the Lawyer fees BTW

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Correct. There is insurance backing the program, but this is not in and of itself insurance. Kind of confusing I know. Other groups may or may not have resources backing them up.

And I agree that everyone I have talked to has been very friendly and willing to answer questions.

Top Bottom