Seinfeld actor tries suicide: 'I shot myself but it didn't work'...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Very sad though...I hated Seinfeld, but he was great on Malcom In The Middle and he had a crazy role in Lord of Illusions (the two things I remember him from).

He was also the opposing police chief on Super Troopers.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    This call is tragic to hear, and I think it is terrible that people have no right to privacy when calling 911.

Being in health care and working every day with the logic that what I hear from people and about people is personal information that I would not share and actually cannot share without a court order makes me just appalled at the fact that 911 calls are public information.

I understand it isn't like calling your doctor but what happens when the line between healthcare and public services gets obliterated by Obamacare? Before long your trip to the ER will not be considered private just like your call to 911. After all we are all paying for your ER visit under Obamacare just like other public services so why shouldn't it be public information what the public is paying for?:rolleyes::xmad:

Thoughts and prayers to this guy and his loved ones.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    He was also the opposing police chief on Super Troopers.

Dangit, I knew I was missing one...Eh, I'm probably missing a few.

The two I named really stood out though. As soon as I saw his picture, Malcom and LoI came right to mind.

This call is tragic to hear, and I think it is terrible that people have no right to privacy when calling 911.

Yeah, that's pretty messed up that someone would want to air that for their own personal gain.

Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    What a mess. He's not out of the woods yet. I feel bad for him but I've often wondered what it is about a failed attempt that makes someone try to get help afterwards. I've heard the "cry for help" theory but it doesn't make much sense to me. He was clearly going for the kill shot. "Mental Illness" I suppose.
    I helped care for a young man who took a similar shot with a 22 handgun. Blinded him both eyes and his family would not approve a shunt to relieve pressure in his brain saying "well, he wanted to die anyway" and he finally died.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    While I certainly don't agree with the post you quoted, since when is losing a few toes reason to kill yourself (BTW, did he say he was "tired" when the operator asked him why he shot himself? I couldn't really make that part out.)?
    That audio was definitely one of the saddest things I've heard in awhile.

I believe it said he had already lost his other leg. Then the prospect of having to go through another similar procedure to remove at least a few toes if not more would be enough to depress most people.

Hopefully you are never in a desperate situation that you feel you have no hope of ever returning to a normal life.

A little decency and compassion go a long way in this type of situation.

I once talked a Marine out of suicide. He was discharged from the Marine Corps but he went on to work for IBM and have a family. Sometimes people just need a little help to get back on track.

Militarypol21

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Noblesville, IN
    I can only imagine what this guy is going through. On January 10, 2007 I found my dad dead in his barn after taking his own life with a shotgun to the mouth. He was a severe diabetic, out of a job, lost his house, and just filed for divorce. He felt horrible for years after him and my stepmom drove from Indiana to Missouri to see me graduate from BCT/AIT and ended up missing the graduation ceremony because he had a diabetic attack that morning. According to the letters he left he said he couldn’t stand the sickness anymore and saw no other way out. After everything I have seen and been through I am still one to say let it be your choice on how you want to go out of this world. He is missed dearly but in the end I know he is no longer in any pain and someday I hope to see him again.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    My buddy had an illness, was probably going to kill him within 6 months.
    He was just going to go to sleep but couldn't get the cocktail ingredients so went ala .357.
    Was within his belief system, sucks for those of us who loved him though.
    Pretty logical.
    Most times such exits are not.
    Cleaned one suicide gun (not that one)......a previously unfired Colt 380 Gov (amazing how blood can eat up a blued gun in short order).

Only thing to add: use a revolver, stainless, and do it outside.

Makes it easier on other folks (esp the gun cleaner dude) ;)

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    My Condolences

I can only imagine what this guy is going through. On January 10, 2007 I found my dad dead in his barn after taking his own life with a shotgun to the mouth. He was a severe diabetic, out of a job, lost his house, and just filed for divorce. He felt horrible for years after him and my stepmom drove from Indiana to Missouri to see me graduate from BCT/AIT and ended up missing the graduation ceremony because he had a diabetic attack that morning. According to the letters he left he said he couldn’t stand the sickness anymore and saw no other way out. After everything I have seen and been through I am still one to say let it be your choice on how you want to go out of this world. He is missed dearly but in the end I know he is no longer in any pain and someday I hope to see him again.

My condolences on the loss of your dad Militarypol21. With everything you have been through, I admire your strength and open mindedness. Accepting that people should have the right to chose how they leave this world is the greatest love a person can give to someone who is suffering from a painful and debilitating illness.

God bless you and your family.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I am of the same mind. We should have the ability to choose our end. I would only say that it needs to be in a way that does not effect children, leave a horrible mess etc. I grew up with 2 fellows who's fathers ended themselves at home and messy. Not cool for those who are left behind. Militarypol21 had some issues to deal with I am sure after finding his father that way. I commend you on your strength and mean no disrespect to your father. I just remember what those boys went through. It changed them for life.
    I was stage 4 cancer and in a fight for my life in 02. Have to say I thought of ending myself to save others from dealing with my impending meltdown. I obviuosly did not go there but the thought did cross my feeble mind more than once and usually right after the trip through the reactor. Just saying I understand.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I cannot comprehend what you have had to deal with. I am glad that you have found peace with such a horrible ordeal.

Militarypol21

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Noblesville, IN
    I will add…

I have more than one mindset when it comes to one taking their own life. This is just my two cents based on what I went through.

First, I think it should be everyone’s right to decide how they wish to leave this world when it comes to a serious medical problem with no cure although, they should still consider the feelings of others as well.

For the first few months after finding my dad deceased it was hard to sleep at night. I became extremely depressed and shut everyone out of my life. My wife at the time got scared and called 911 to get me to finally talk to someone because she didn’t know what else to do. The IMPD officer that arrived called me stupid and a dumb***. He also thanked me for ruining the movie he was watching beforehand. To date I wish I could find that POS and give him a piece of my mind. Anyways, I was diagnosed with PTSD. I ended up selling all of my dad’s guns and couldn’t stand the sight of blood. After that I went through a “pissed off” state and hated him for what he did. After awhile I put myself in his shoes and came to the realization that he was in a lot of pain and saw no other way out therefore he ended his own suffering. I saw firsthand what this disease did to him and in a way felt his pain. It took a good year or so to fully understand and accept what he did and in the end I respect him for leaving a note that explained why he did what he did. I think he could have done this in a much better place as we were stuck with cleaning up the mess but at the time I doubt that was on his mind.

Five years later I work in a hospital and part of my job is removing deceased patients from their hospital rooms, transporting them to the Morgue, and placing them in the cooler.

Now on the other hand… When it comes to depression I think there are “better” options than suicide. Depression can be overcome with therapy and medication although time is usually the best cure for depression. Everyone gets depressed at some point in their life and some depression is far worse than others. If you’re depressed you’re usually not in the right state of mind to make your own decision on whether to live or die. Luckily, I never came to that point and talked to someone about my depression.

One thing I agree with most is this…

“Just talking to someone about suicide does not make one suicidal. If you are feeling down, talk to someone you trust. Whether this be a family member, friend, co-worker, teacher, or doctor it is best to talk about why you are feeling down as this will usually release a lot of built up pressure. They may make you look at things in a totally different way. Don’t let someone tell you that this is not a good enough reason to kill yourself because they are not you and everyone handles things differently. Each of us are unique and some can cope more than others.”

Top Bottom