• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • N_K_1984

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    I have a Savage MKII target rifle (thumb hole stock, heavy barrel, accutrigger) BSA sweet .22 3-9 power scope

A friend has a Turkish Mauser action'd sporter, chambered in .30-06. has a walnut monte carlo stock. the optics are older Bushnell sportview 3-9 power scope, old school weaver rings, sporter barrel. metal is all clean. haven't shot it yet. I plan on test driving it, checking groups at 100 yards. the workmanship looks great, obviously older in age, but taken care of.

would it be worth a trade? i would love to gather some opinions.

Thanks INGO! :rockwoot:

buzzard pickins

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 26, 2009
    Out by the Prague pond
    ,Shoot 50rds 30-06, next day call your shoulder and see if it wants to trade.

Or save $180 buy a mil-surp refinish yourself, OBAMMO, gun collection started.
    THEN you and your new shooting friend have something in common.

2cool9031

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    NWI
    To me ..my 1903 Springfield 30-06 has a bit more kick than my Mosin m-44.
    I shoot my 1903 Springfield in a quest for power...and the Mosin in a quest for fire.

Hondo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    What is your motive to trade??? Hunting with a high power rifle? Reaching out to 100yds plus to target shoot? Just tired of the old gun?

Unless there is something special about the 06' then spend $100-150 for a Mosin and keep the .22....then play with the Mosin, trick it out or if you don't like it sell it for about what you paid for it and then try something else. If it is too hunt thaen maybe consider the trade if you like the gun.:twocents:

N_K_1984

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    motive is just to have something new. i like the 30 cal family.

i have a mosin m44 sporter.

i'm not a hunter, just a target/recreational shooter.

just gauging opinions. .22lr shooting is F U N but, it get's old, I like the kick and bang and reach capabilities of the large bore centerfire rifles.

so.... i'm just a little torn as to if the value of my Savage MkII would be equivalent to this mauser sporter. or would i be getting hosed on the deal.

2cool9031

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    NWI
    You can find cheap ammo for your Mosin...Not so cheap with 30-06..check the price of ammo first to see if you are willing to spend the extra money.

Hondo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    well in that case if the Mauser is in good shape it might be worht it...there is no better bolt action rifle than a mauser...

There are several other mil surplus options in the mauser action like the swedes in 6.6mm that can be had fairly cheaply too if you don't want to get rid of the .22

I have all sorts of HP rifles but still go back to the .22's just for fun and another kind of change of pace....

yj-guy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    brazil
    I have a Savage MKII target rifle (thumb hole stock, heavy barrel, accutrigger) BSA sweet .22 3-9 power scope

A friend has a Turkish Mauser action'd sporter, chambered in .30-06. has a walnut monte carlo stock. the optics are older Bushnell sportview 3-9 power scope, old school weaver rings, sporter barrel. metal is all clean. haven't shot it yet. I plan on test driving it, checking groups at 100 yards. the workmanship looks great, obviously older in age, but taken care of.

would it be worth a trade? i would love to gather some opinions.

Thanks INGO! :rockwoot:
    shoot the gun and see if you like it. i personally hate trading or selling guns. just like to buy them. if you are wanting to trade the value of either gun is totally on you, just depends on what you want. the value changes if you are just wanting to profit. i say just buy one so you have an extra gun. watch out though, 30 06 packs a punch so hold on tight and keep your face far enough away from the scope :draw:

N_K_1984

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    still haven't shot the Mauser. made up my mind though after some major thinking/soul searching.

no trade.

I'm gonna keep my Savage MKII. just buy the mauser if i like how it shoots. i have great memories with my Savage, and it's a wonderful rifle. you can't replace those feelings down the road. seller's remorse is a pain in the arss. so i'm not gonna get rid of the MKII. I'll keep her and maybe just add a Mauser to the family.

I will keep posted on how the Mauser fires, and future plans if I buy it.

...`cause if I do she would recieve a thorough refurb/rebuild and get some new, modern parts...

N_K_1984

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    Thanks INGO, i haven't known you long, but thanks for being there for me!

Merry Christmas INGO, to you and yours!

Top Bottom