• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • diveski11

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 14, 2016
    Indianapolis
    It's been a hot minute since I was last able to plink at the range with my AR (Nov ???). It's also been at least 2 years since my last eye appointment or new Rx. I was having a heck of a time with seeing the target clearly in prone (target at ~25 yds). I kept seeing a "picture in picture" effect of the target through the scope. I played around with length of pull/eye relief, cheek riser height, turkey neck, etc. It wasn't nearly as bad when in seated or standing. Any ideas of how to make it better with both eyes open? I'd like to get a handle on this before a training event later this month.

RobertIN

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2024
    West Harrison
    If applicable and can swing it financially I can't recommend LASIK enough. It's cliche to say, but it's been a literal life changer. One day i was blurry, took a valium, went into the room and came out. Got home and fell asleep until the next day and holy cow, I could count leaves on the trees across the yard. Absolutely amazing, and it was painless.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    robertIN has a good testimony about Lasik. Many people do. The last I looked it up, 20% are not to good. Half of those can be touched up. Some of the others are worse off than before and some end up with a white cane.

I went to the most expensive guy with the best record in the area. That was in 2004. He left me legally blind. Spent a ton over the next two years having my sight worked on in Indy. After those two years I was able to use thick bifocals and get a restricted drivers license and eventually a regular license. My vision has never been as good as before lasik. This last year I had correction during cataract surgery. The result is a pretty good focus, but the quality of the vision looks like driving through dead bugs on the windshield. My days of being competitive with iron sights are pretty much over.

That said, I hope whatever you choose works for you, just know that it is not risk free.

RobertIN

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2024
    West Harrison
    robertIN has a good testimony about Lasik. Many people do. The last I looked it up, 20% are not to good. Half of those can be touched up. Some of the others are worse off than before and some end up with a white cane.

I went to the most expensive guy with the best record in the area. That was in 2004. He left me legally blind. Spent a ton over the next two years having my sight worked on in Indy. After those two years I was able to use thick bifocals and get a restricted drivers license and eventually a regular license. My vision has never been as good as before lasik. This last year I had correction during cataract surgery. The result is a pretty good focus, but the quality of the vision looks like driving through dead bugs on the windshield. My days of being competitive with iron sights are pretty much over.

That said, I hope whatever you choose works for you, just know that it is not risk free.
    Damn I'm sorry to hear that, it sounds awful. I went to the Eye Institute in Cincinnati. Out of curiosity how old were you and how was your vision beforehand? I required glasses but I could still generally see things in the same room as me, but seeing road signs was an issue without corrective lenses.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Damn I'm sorry to hear that, it sounds awful. I went to the Eye Institute in Cincinnati. Out of curiosity how old were you and how was your vision beforehand? I required glasses but I could still generally see things in the same room as me, but seeing road signs was an issue without corrective lenses.
    I was 45 when I started, and was about 3.75 nearsighted. I wish I had just bought new glasses instead of the Lasik route. My friend went to some shady place in a strip mall for $200 an eye and he came out great. I paid $3800 up front and had all that problem. Sometimes things just don't work, no matter how carefully you plan.

RobertIN

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2024
    West Harrison
    I was 45 when I started, and was about 3.75 nearsighted. I wish I had just bought new glasses instead of the Lasik route. My friend went to some shady place in a strip mall for $200 an eye and he came out great. I paid $3800 up front and had all that problem. Sometimes things just don't work, no matter how carefully you plan.
    I can imagine so. I was probably about 30 I think it was four or five years ago, it was about $4k out of pocket. I'm sorry your eyes got messed up =/.

Reactions: Leo

sixGuns

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 24, 2020
    Grabill
    It's been a hot minute since I was last able to plink at the range with my AR (Nov ???). It's also been at least 2 years since my last eye appointment or new Rx. I was having a heck of a time with seeing the target clearly in prone (target at ~25 yds). I kept seeing a "picture in picture" effect of the target through the scope. I played around with length of pull/eye relief, cheek riser height, turkey neck, etc. It wasn't nearly as bad when in seated or standing. Any ideas of how to make it better with both eyes open? I'd like to get a handle on this before a training event later this month.
    At LEAST 2 years? Dude, get a checkup, seriously. Preferably with an ophthalmologist. Dilation... the works. There are other types of correction outside of LASIK, but I'm not up on all that. My sister had lenses implanted and a nephew with LASIK. I think he has trouble at night now and it's been about a year. I'm not saying don't look at the surgical options, but do the research. I've been back and forth for about 5 years now on "correction." One thing that always gives me pause is there are plenty of optometrists and ophthalmologists that still wear glasses/contacts. :twocents:

gassprint1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 15, 2015
    NWI
    Had a buddy that was a long haul truck driver that had laser eye surgery a few years back. He was tired of glasses n such. Surgery was awful for him. Eyes were worse after a couple more sessions and he has to put drops in his eyes daily. It's a craps shoot to have surgery.

• Sad
    Reactions: Leo

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    How old are you? Cataracts yet? Get vision checked, they sneak up on you.

I had cataract couple year and a half ago and my eyesight is better than when I was born. Lense replacement surgery was suggested to me when I was 40, and I wished I had gone ahead and done it.

Probably can’t get it done before your training event though.

STFU

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 30, 2015
    Hamilton County
    BLUF: Go get your eyes checked!

Long version:
    Sorry you are having issues with your vision.

For the rest of you growing older like me...here is a fun one to discover:
    PVD or Posterior Vitreous Detachment.

(pay close attention at the 6:00m mark)

Apparently, this is very common as we age. Some have a worse time than others.

Good thing (most) shooting matches are held in daylight or equivalent.
    I don't notice it as much during the day but this is making me nucking futs at when driving at night!

Last edited:

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    I had LASIK done in 2012. I went from not seeing distance to not seeing up close. At the time it was a trade off I was willing to make.

I swapped one set of glasses for another, although readers are cheaper to replace.

Few years back I noticed the distance was going bad again. Eye doc said meh, you are getting older. No correction was done.

Last year I signed up for lens replacements. I was literally in there prepping and the surgeon told me that since I had LASIK I might still have a little correction needed. I chickened out.

Over that year's time my vision has grown worse. Especially night vision. Cataracts are there and bigger. I go in next Tuesday for the new consult for lens replacements. I wish I had done it years ago. Had I known about it when I did the Lasik I would have spent the extra money then.

I really wish that I had at least done it last year.

Top Bottom