• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Woodsman

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New albany
    There were several other seed banks also. One was flooded and the other was caught in an earthquake I believe. Poor seeds... I bet this is not too much different from buying heirloom seeds versus genetically mutated seeds.

WeAreNotAlone

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    Makes you wonder if they know something that we don't!

"They" will going into underground NBC hardened bunkers...

Seems to me that seeds and the like should be stored in various places (EG into EVERY hardened bunker, in addition to any commercial ventures that are promoting such.

WeAreNotAlone

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    lol i hear that...

"They", the chosen few will be protected.

Google "deep underground military base"

*Note I do not agree with everything said on the below site. I do think the Government has places prepared for "those that rule us".

Project Camelot | Underground bases and tunnels

tunnel_boring_machine
    tunnel_boring_machine_4_lg.jpg

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    "They", the chosen few will be protected.

Google "deep underground military base"

*Note I do not agree with everything said on the below site. I do think the Government has places prepared for "those that rule us".

Project Camelot | Underground bases and tunnels

tunnel_boring_machine
    tunnel_boring_machine_4_lg.jpg

That photo was taken under the Beach Gove concentration camp. My cat told me so. Just sayin'.

Indiana_Dave

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2010
    Non-Hybrid Seeds

I think most preppers know this, but while we're talking about seeds...

An important part of a survival stockpile is non-hybrid seeds. The ordinary seeds which we buy at the local or big-box garden store are "hybrids". They have been developed by the company to produce one high yield crop. This is different than in nature, where a plant's primary purpose (as is ours) is reproduction. The plant which grows from hybrid seeds won't likely create good seeds for planting next year's crop of plants.

With that in mind, you need some non-hybrid seeds, which have not been developed just to produce some big fruits in a single season. You can get them here Non-Hybrid Seeds | Non-Hybrid Vegetable Fruit Grain Herb Seeds (I have not shopped around recently for these; so you might find better deals.) From these plants, you can remove, dry and save some seeds for the next year.

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    I do think the Government has places prepared for "those that rule us".

I remember watching something on TV about bunker's that they had for them during the Cold War and they even took camera's in at least one of them and showed video of it. The governement said they would not confirm or deny if they still have them at other location's but why would they not?

These places were in populated area's. It was a pretty good show if someone can find it. The local's said they had no idea what was being built, just that is was under ground.....

Hemingway

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    Indiana
    So could if I vacuum sealed non-hybrid seeds, does anybody know how long they would be good?

This is something I've been trying to learn myself recently. Airtight I think is a bad thing. Can't recall exactly why now.

Here's a link I've been reading that is pretty good--I think it is at least.

Index of Home Gardening Tips - Vegetable Seeds - by Robert Wayne Atkins, P.E. - Grandpappy

I get my seeds from here:

Seed Savers Exchange

I buy the certified organic, heirloom seeds. They all seem to be high quality. All 58 tomato plants I planted have sprouted :rockwoot:

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom