Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    This thread-"This interaction with police didn't go so well "
    got me to thinking.

Do security officers in Indiana carry under the same
    license the rest of us do? They don't usually get hassled
    by the police as "a man with a gun". Why should we?

Thanks

Mark

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I worked security one summer while in college. This was back in the early 90's so this may have changed. At that time I could not carry my personal weapon while at work, even though I had a personal protection permit. Although since I had the permit I could carry a weapon if the company gave me authorization to do so. I believe they would issue me or I could provide my own .38 special revolver. I think this was mainly due to liability of the security company and/or the client.

Not sure how this has changed but to the best of my knowledge, yes a security officer would need a valid LTCH. They are not law enforcement.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Some of the security jobs I worked required me to get a permit.

But, one outfit said they "have a letter from the state" that permitted those without the normal carry permit to carry but only during the duties of being a guard. I thought that was a bit on the stretching far side as it raised SEVERAL questions in my mind:
    1. One aspect of my job was when I did my specific route, I was alone and in a box truck (no armored plating or anything, yeay CoinStar!). What happens if I am pulled over? I dont have the letter with me (would not allow me to photocopy it, see part three).
    2. What about driving home for the night? I dont think I could convince an officer about having a gun in the car (without a permit) for "my job". Anyone can get those security uniforms anywhere.
    3. They didn't allow me to even see the "letter from the state" or carry a photocopied variant of it with me at all. Really raised a red flag on my part.

I had my permit, but another guard at my company was raising these questions. Seems suspicious, not on the state's part, but the company. I think they are playing the numbers (thinking they wont get in trouble due to statistics of being pulled over). I have talked to other guards when I was in about this and they worked for different companies (some requiring permits and others saying they had the same "state letter").

I would say there is something strange going on regarding that. As for the open carry harassment: Gotta be the uniform. I think the police see the uniform and think that the person is there doing a job. So does that mean, in addition to the ladies, cops love a guy in uniform too? :D I remember the instant I went from unarmed (wearing a gray polo, name tag, and black slacks) to armed security, they immediantly gave me a black "cop" shirt with patches/badges.

SigSense

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Louisville, KY
    People expect a police officer or uniformed security guard to have a gun. In many places (not all), people going about their everyday lives do not expect to see people openly carrying guns who are not police or security.

I fully understand the "expectation" theory...but, I expect:

-To believe that the Constitution was written to give me certain protections
    -To no taxation without representation
    -To have free speech
    -To be able to express my opinion, even IF it is different from the mainstream

But here lately, many of my "expectations" are being removed by a government that is supposedly in office to SERVE me. WTF is going on? If folks start OC'ing, the "expectation" of seeing an honest citizen exercising their rights is what they see!

SC_Shooter

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    Bloomington
    I know exactly why they won't get harrassed. People have psychologically attached images with theories or ideas.

See a gun?

Panic.

See a gun held by a man with a uniform?

Safety!

That would be my guess. Many of the OC-LEO issues I've seen posted around here seem to have started because of the proverbial "man with a gun" call. While some were undoubtedly because of the LEO's observation of the situation, this seems to be the case with many.

Most sheeple wouldn't even make the call if the person carrying were in uniform. It would seem just as normal to them as seeing one of you guys OC'ing would seem normal to me. No 911 call = no LEO interaction in those cases.

phishb0y

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2008
    Lawrenceburg
    I wonder about Armored Car drivers. I wonder if they have to make drop offs in places that are a no-no for LTCHs?

Armored Car companies have agreements with the treasury dept and others so we can enter areas normally no nos. Like federal buildings and it is always fun to enter the federal reserve bank, drive on a airport tarmac, banks, schools, and others.

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    Armored Car companies have agreements with the treasury dept and others so we can enter areas normally no nos. Like federal buildings and it is always fun to enter the federal reserve bank, drive on a airport tarmac, banks, schools, and others.

Thanks for answering that... I've always wondered.

chiggins83187

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 28, 2009
    Whitestown
    The company I work for requires an LTCH. Our 'uniform' is just a polo shirt w/ the company logo on the front, and 'SECURITY' in bold letters across the back. Never ran into any issues when I stopped at gas stations or anything...actually, the cashiers tend to be nicer :D

I'm looking to move to OH for this company and manage armed guards, but under OH laws, you are required to take courses etc and become licensed to be an armed security guard...LTCH doesn't cut it. But, OH is a lot stricter on gun laws than IN.

agentl074

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2008
    Yeah, I figured it was free for retired police officers, but not reserve police officers lol. Dang if I could've got mine for free :laugh:

Top Bottom