• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ryninger

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Newburgh
    What are good otpions for securing a pistol in your truck while you are at work in a non gun friendly environment? In a not so trust worthy area...

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I have a lockbox that is attached to a cable that secures it under my back seat. It is not at all the best and could be defeated, but it is more than just leaving it in the console or glove box. They would at least have to cut the cable and then break into the lockbox.

Mikeh82

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Did everyone know they passed the law.... We can have our gun in the car while we are working.... How exciting, right?

On a serious note, just look up automobile lockbox and you will get all kinds of ideas. I prefer bolting it to the car but as stated before you can use a cable... Its just harder for a person stealing it to pry it when its bolted in an awkward spot than it is to cut the cable... Just my 2 cents.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2009
    OHIO
    not til june or july 1

I use the lockbox with cable. I figure if someone wants it bad enough fine, but if they shoot someone with it the fact it was in a lockbox will add some protection in a lawsuit against me.

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    I have a Center of Mass clamshell on a cable secured around my passenger side seat, if they want the ECC (everyday car carrier) they have to cut the cable first.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Box on a cable for me as well. I can move it to whatever car I am driving (we have 3). I am looking at a security console for the Jeep, though. There is nothing secure about a Jeep (they'll just cut the soft top), so I don't even lock the doors.

junglerogue

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 20, 2009
    SAV, ELP, DFW, SBN,
    Do what the FBI does down in DFW. They secure some heavy duty chain in the spare tire area of their crown vics, and then have a loop or some other fastening device that they thread the chain threw in the trunk lid. So to unlock their "secure" trunk, they have to reach into the truck and unlock the padlock, that limits the opening of the trunk to a 4-6 inch opening... just my .02

Muddy_Ford

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    Hartford City
    Do what the FBI does down in DFW. They secure some heavy duty chain in the spare tire area of their crown vics, and then have a loop or some other fastening device that they thread the chain threw in the trunk lid. So to unlock their "secure" trunk, they have to reach into the truck and unlock the padlock, that limits the opening of the trunk to a 4-6 inch opening... just my .02

Wow!! I'd hate to think about them having to get into their trunks in a hurry to get to their firearms they have stored in there.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    I really need to get something. Have to admit that I am just a tucker right now. I have a "truck" gun that stays in there and it is just tucked under the center console. I drop my EDC under there when I go to work.

I bought a rig that allows you to fasten to your steering collumn. Works great, but everybody can see what you have when you open the door. Maybe on a small car it would work better.

Nothing really to secure or discourage bad guys yet.

Looking at the GunVault site now... thanks for the link.

Biohazard

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    central indiana
    One other thing you might consider is checking out the Gunvault in person versus some other manufacturers. I'm not sure what gauge steel it is, but the overall construction seems a lot stronger than other brands and the spring is still strong after over 5 years of being in the heat and cold. Handling one in person made up my mind for me.

clt46910

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Akron Indiana
    I had one of the smaller gun vaults under the driver's side of the bench seat in my old Chevy. I had taken the seat out and anchored it down. Front side forward and just out of sight. Step out of the truck, reach under the seat and use the finger pad to open it.

Kind of sucked my Ford seat is not high enough to mount it the same way. Now never much go anywhere I can not carry.

Titanium Man

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2009
    Indy---USA
    Handcuff it to the seat frame

That's pretty good, considering my concealed carry, would get more at a pawn shop than my 13 year old car I drive to work. :D They'll just tow the freaking car, and cut the gun out later.:):

Thanks for the tip, was wondering what I was going to do with all my handcuffs. Seriously!!:yesway:

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I have a relatively inexpensive .38 that I keep stowed in the vehicle. If it was stolen I don't have to give up eating to replace it.

schafe

Master
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Monroe Co.
    I use a Tuffy brand security box I have bolted to the floor behind the seat of my standard cab truck. It wouldn't be impossible to get my gun, but they would have to break into the truck, find the box which is not visible through any glass, and either pry it from the floor, or tear up the box. (not impossible, but would take some tools, and time.) At least it'll make 'em cuss!:)

indymike

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jun 29, 2009
    I have a relatively inexpensive .38 that I keep stowed in the vehicle. If it was stolen I don't have to give up eating to replace it.

I have to agree with this post. If you are going to keep one in the car, make it an inexpensive gun. I had a safe secured with a pretty decent steel cable to the lower part of the frame of the passenger side seat. My car was broken into and they used bolt cutters (I'm assuming) and got off with the safe and a $250 .380 handgun. They will have a ***** of time getting that safe open but certainly will...though I'm glad I didn't have one of my nicer guns there.

If you can bolt the safe to the structure of the car somehow, that would be ideal.

Top Bottom