• ...and so much more!
  • jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    They can expect the unemployment rate among young people to go way up when they have to compete with older, overqualified workers who will now be willing to take on those kinds of jobs.

slowG

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 15, 2010
    At least you will be less likely to have your order messed up at the drive through.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Yeah, the order taking will be automated.

This pic has been going around a lot lately:
    8koXXEt.jpg

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Yeah, the order taking will be automated.
    That or your order will be taken by some 29 year old named Tiffany who's desperate to start paying off her graduate degree in fashion design, but still doesn't know how to make change without a calculator.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    Good, as soon as that $15 / hr. is perpetuated through the States, we'll FINALLY be caught up to equivalent 1974 wage levels! :thumbsup:

HeadlessRoland

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2011
    In the dark
    Good, as soon as that $15 / hr. is perpetuated through the States, we'll FINALLY be caught up to equivalent 1974 wage levels! :thumbsup:

Let me go ahead and suggest some light reading for you:

http://www.mises.org/Books/humanaction.pdf

http://library.mises.org/books/Murray N Rothbard/What Has Government Done to Our Money.pdf

[h=1]“It is no crime to be ignorant of economics, which is, after all, a specialized discipline and one that most people consider to be a ‘dismal science.’ But it is totally irresponsible to have a loud and vociferous opinion on economic subjects while remaining in this state of ignorance.” - Murray Rothbard
    [/h]

jjtroy912

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 8, 2013
    Ft. W
    Let me just remind everyone that the cost of a good is the price point at which a company makes more money than selling more goods for less money or less goods for more money. So if you can buy more the price will go up until the company sees the sales begin to tapper off. Therefore if an item costs x% of your income, it will continue to cost x% of your income, unless savings are realized for the company by other circumstances ie. lowered cost of goods or pay cuts.

Last edited:

Henry

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2014
    Athome
    Let me go ahead and suggest some light reading for you:

http://www.mises.org/Books/humanaction.pdf

http://library.mises.org/books/Murray N Rothbard/What Has Government Done to Our Money.pdf

“It is no crime to be ignorant of economics, which is, after all, a specialized discipline and one that most people consider to be a ‘dismal science.’ But it is totally irresponsible to have a loud and vociferous opinion on economic subjects while remaining in this state of ignorance.” - Murray Rothbard

Some great reads. It's unfortunate more do not take advantage of the materials offered by the Ludwig Von Mises Institute...or the Liberty Fund right here in Indiana.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    They can expect the unemployment rate among young people to go way up when they have to compete with older, overqualified workers who will now be willing to take on those kinds of jobs.

^^^^^ THIS is what I was thinking ^^^^^

I want to see the FIGURES, of how many employees, will LOSE, their jobs, because they will hire college grads, and call it Mgr., in training !!!!!

Henry

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2014
    Athome
    Back in April of 1775, some folks took a stand, risked all of their property and their lives to free themselves from a tyrannical government and establish a fertile ground for liberty.

It is rapidly being / has been pissed away.

I do not even recognize what this republic has become in my lifetime.

Henry

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2014
    Athome

Further, it will become more cost effective for companies like fast food operations to automate more of their processes. There is no sense in paying some unskilled worker to punch buttons on a "cash register" when a customer can enter his order on a kiosk and swipe a credit card himself. Plus, the kiosk doesn't miss days of work, show up with an attitude, or bring with it a host of HR issues and the related costs.

In some markets, Mickey D is testing a centralized drive through order system. The customer pulls up and places his order through a speaker to a live person. That live person is not in that store however. That person is taking and entering the order via a web connection for several stores.

Labor or is like any other commodity...when the price gets beyond what the market is willing to pay, a substitute will be provided in the market.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Further, it will become more cost effective for companies like fast food operations to automate more of their processes. There is no sense in paying some unskilled worker to punch buttons on a "cash register" when a customer can enter his order on a kiosk and swipe a credit card himself. Plus, the kiosk doesn't miss days of work, show up with an attitude, or bring with it a host of HR issues and the related costs.

In some markets, Mickey D is testing a centralized drive through order system. The customer pulls up and places his order through a speaker to a live person. That live person is not in that store however. That person is taking and entering the order via a web connection for several stores.

Labor or is like any other commodity...when the price gets beyond what the market is willing to pay, a substitute will be provided in the market.
    Allo, my name is Kevin how may I be helping you! Outsourcing the order taker, BRILLIANT!

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009

So is Jack-in-the-Box and Hardees.

I would rather punch my order into a kiosk than talk to those rude jerks that work at most fast food places. They aren't worth $5/hour.

That said, somehow Chick-fil-A finds the nicest people to work at their stores. It's almost shocking how polite they are.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    I am curious to know how you can justify paying someone $15 per hour to slap beans into a tortilla, fold it, and wrap it up to shove it down the line into a bag?

Henry

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2014
    Athome
    Meanwhile unions which have their pay contract rate pegged to the minimum wage + X% will support this madness not realizing that they are sawing off the tree limb they are already way out on. The market will give them the same response as it will the unskilled guy standing behind a MickeyD counter today with a blank stare.

Oh...and here is another bonus.

Many would assert today that the latest generations have poor work environment skills, customer skills, etc. The lack of those skills may well become even more prevalent as younger folks have fewer opportunities to get exposed to situations to develop those skills.

Surely the state will step in to demand more be stripped from producers to "help" these poor souls through "government education and training" programs and "social welfare" nets.

Gee...I can't for the life of me figure out why capital is being allocated elsewhere.

Top Bottom