• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    For the guys who took kids, anything that would upset a 9 year old in it?

I took my son (although he's 13), and I don't recall anything that would have upset his mom, which is the standard I hold to ;)

As others mentioned, if the kid has played any recent First Person Shooter, there would not be anything that would upset them.

My son and I both liked the movie and thought it was a good departure from the normal, unrealistic action movie.

My son watches the history channel quite a bit, and likes the more authentic stuff.

rtfisher1

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    May 4, 2009
    Anderson
    two thumbs up!

Actions scenes were excellent! The 'extraction' scene was just awesome. I didn't take my 15 yr old but wish I had. It would be good for him to see the realistic view of things and realize its not like Rambo or any other action movie where the hero or heroes always win without any 'losses' per se. And dead guys don't get to 'regenerate' and start where they left off like in a video game.

Todd

Eric05

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    New Palestine
    Movie was excellent. I recongnized a lot of the names of the SEALS at the end from the various books I have read about them. Very striking and powerful. One book I would recommend reading is Lone Survivor. Probably my favorite book I have ever read. Its based on Seal Team 8 in Afganistan in 2005-2006. That book and this movie gave me a whole new appreciation for our armed forces.

blamecharles

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    South side of Indian
    two thumbs up!

Actions scenes were excellent! The 'extraction' scene was just awesome. I didn't take my 15 yr old but wish I had. It would be good for him to see the realistic view of things and realize its not like Rambo or any other action movie where the hero or heroes always win without any 'losses' per se. And dead guys don't get to 'regenerate' and start where they left off like in a video game.

Todd

Best scene of the movie. Not trying to spoil it for anyone but damn i love some mini gun action.

blamecharles

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    South side of Indian
    Best scene of the movie. Not trying to spoil it for anyone but damn i love some mini gun action.

Had to look up why its called a mini gun. Don't know why i didn't know but i didn't.

From Wikipedia for those who dont know either.
    The "Mini" of the name is in comparison to designs that use a similar firing mechanism but larger shells, such as General Electric's earlier 20 mm M61 Vulcan, and "gun" referencing the delineation between a cannon, that of a caliber higher than 20 millimeters—and gun—within certain ranges.

JeepinGunGuy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2012
    South Bend
    I couldn't take it, I took my 15 year old son to see it tonight. The mini gun was badass, possibly the first time I ever heard one in a movie that sound like it did in real life at Knob Creek.

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    I would enlist in the Navy today thanks to this movie...however my fiance feels different. Probably for the best too, because I doubt I'd have the mentality to push myself to those lengths. :patriot::ar15:

Not everyone in the Navy is forced to endure what a SEAL does (actually on the SEALs do haha).

I spent 5 years in the Navy and it was the greatest experience in my life... I miss it everyday and have contemplated going back.

For a young couple who is unsure of what direction to take in life... I have no problem recommending the military. You would be surprised how simple life is and probably surprised on how much easier it is then you think.

Physically the military is not arduous at all... its more mental. Obviously its not for everyone... but don't let movies give you the impression that life is hell.

Living on a base is similar to living on a large college campus actually. (State side of course... being deployed is obviously not like home)

Its a lot less running, pushups, marching and getting yelled/shot at then most movies would like you to think.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    Wife & I went to see this movie Saturday afternoon. I've heard that at some showings, the audience spontaneously applauded - at our showing there was dead silence, many people stayed to watch the credits, and there wasn't any talking that I could hear as people left the theatre. Wife & I weren't talking much either.

To explain, when I watch movies of this type, I usually tend to go behind the action on screen to try to figure out how it's being done and to see where the obvious shortcuts and improbabilities are. Even knowing that the protagonists were actual-real-live-Navy-SEALS!, I was expecting something along the lines of Black Hawk Down, or Tears of the Sun. In some ways, the movie was very predictable (I had figured out the "Act of Valor" halfway through the movie, although it was pretty obvious what was going to happen) but I was reduced to marveling at the things SOCOM gets away with doing in TRAINING that the rest of us mortals wouldn't be allowed to do in actual combat. I, too, was struck by the 'realism' of the movie, although I'm pretty sure some things were altered to conceal much of their Tactics, Techniques and Procedures, with them sticking to things that are pretty well known, like the HAHO jumps (although the sub deployment was cool). I was also truly impressed by the extraction sequence at the beginning of the movie.

I have to say that I was also truly surprised by the way the movie ending affected me (and the rest of our audience, apparently). I'll have to get a copy when it comes out on DVD, to provide the film-makers with as much of a profit as I am able, but I'm afraid the DVD will sit on my shelf next to Black Hawk Down and Tears of the Sun, movies which I enjoyed but are pretty difficult to watch.

My wife reminded me that my Naval Academy nephew will have to make his specialty choice in the next year or so, wonder if this movie will have any effect on him . . .

P.S. Went online for information about the movie and discovered that the film-makers used live ammunition during the filming of this movie. Camera operators were wearing body armor during some of the team action sequences. That must have been really interesting for the "bad guys" during the first extraction scene.

Easy1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2012
    Kokomo
    My father, brother-in-law, and father-in-law are all going on Saturday afternoon for my birthday.
    :yesway: Sorry but I thought you were going to say, my father, brother in-law, friends cousin....etc knew one of the seals in the movie haha. Awesome though and hope to see it soon too. After I saw the preview I couldn't wait - what a good idea from a producers stand point! Hopefully the director did as good as the acting! :popcorn:

Scratcher

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 11, 2012
    In a house
    P.S. Went online for information about the movie and discovered that the film-makers used live ammunition during the filming of this movie. Camera operators were wearing body armor during some of the team action sequences. That must have been really interesting for the "bad guys" during the first extraction scene.

That's probably why the budget was pretty low. All the extras were literally expendable:D

Scratcher

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 11, 2012
    In a house
    Not everyone in the Navy is forced to endure what a SEAL does (actually on the SEALs do haha).

I spent 5 years in the Navy and it was the greatest experience in my life... I miss it everyday and have contemplated going back.

For a young couple who is unsure of what direction to take in life... I have no problem recommending the military. You would be surprised how simple life is and probably surprised on how much easier it is then you think.

Physically the military is not arduous at all... its more mental. Obviously its not for everyone... but don't let movies give you the impression that life is hell.

Living on a base is similar to living on a large college campus actually. (State side of course... being deployed is obviously not like home)

Its a lot less running, pushups, marching and getting yelled/shot at then most movies would like you to think.

That's true....................Unless you want to be the tip of the spear. Then its not so much hell as opposed to an almost constant adrenaline rush interspersed with some hell

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    wonder where the guys who wash out of BUDs go?

That's what happened to a co-workers son, and now he's a SWCC crewmember.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bqoja3iWWaE

Cool. I'd been meaning to look that up. It's supposedly the short film by Mike McCoy and Scott Waugh that got them the "in" to do the Act of Valor movie with real SEALs....at least that's what I read about it.

Top Bottom