• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    There are some key differences from fingerprints. For one thing, DNA holds intimate medical/genetic information. Not only about the arrestee, but about their entire family. None of whom have been convicted of anything.

I wouldn't want that information in the hands of the government... not to mention all the 3rd parties who could potentially buy, hack, or steal the database.

Read what you cut out of my quote. DNA can be used to violate privacy, but simply entering a profile into a database and comparing it against crime scene collected samples doesn't. If the police department, for some reason, decided to run tests to see if you had genetic diseases, yes, that would violate your privacy.

The same applies to blood draws for alcohol, frankly. Your DNA is already in there. Do they run it for genetic diseases when they test for alcohol? No, of course not. Its expensive, time consuming, and pointless. Why would they run those tests on saliva DNA samples then? The tests aren't the same, would require extra cost and extra facilities and extra expertise for what gain?

Even if your DNA profile was hacked, so what? Your entire DNA strand isn't used for identification, and the information stored can't be distilled down to if you have a genetic disease. Something like 1/10th of 1 percent is used for identification, and its not like its a file jacket that reads "timmy has a high chance of developing this genetic disease". Its basically a string of letters, and like a fingerprint, is only useful in comparison to another string of letters.

I think a lot of your worries would be put to rest if you researched what DNA identification actually gathers and how it works.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Do you see a problem with registering all guns and doing ballistic fingerprinting? It would only be used for solving crimes. Trust me.

Different issue altogether, however remember this is all in the context of criminal in-processing after an arrest. If you are arrested and have a firearm on you, do you think it isn't test fired and compared against NBIN for ballistic matches against recovered shell casings from crime scenes?

Arthur Dent

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    Just pointing out to those who told me I must vote for Romney because he will appoint conservative justices. They said Obama appointees would be the death low to the constitution. What's the point of putting conservative justices in if they don't care for the constitution any more than the liberals?
    Ok, thanks for the clarification. I agree with you, 100%.

I find it funny that liberal justices were the dissenting votes.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Read what you cut out of my quote. DNA can be used to violate privacy, but...
    And that is why fingerprinting is different than DNA harvesting.

The same applies to blood draws for alcohol, frankly. Your DNA is already in there.
    If they are drawing blood from anybody who walks through the doors, with no warrant or probable cause, then I oppose that too.

It is a search - follow the 4th amendment.

Not to mention they keep what they harvest, permanently, in a database. Innocent or guilty. That's personal property that should be returned.

No person shall be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law. Follow the 5th amendment.

BigMatt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 22, 2009
    Even if your DNA profile was hacked, so what? Your entire DNA strand isn't used for identification, and the information stored can't be distilled down to if you have a genetic disease. Something like 1/10th of 1 percent is used for identification, and its not like its a file jacket that reads "timmy has a high chance of developing this genetic disease YET". Its basically a string of letters, and like a fingerprint, is only useful in comparison to another string of letters.

FIFY

You haven't been paying attention to genetic testing for certain diseases, mental disorders, etc. It is only a matter of time until the .gov decides that a certain gene makes you predisposed to criminal activity and you are put away for good.

BTW, this is the same .gov that just seized all Verizon domestic and domestic-foreign phone records. Decided that groups of certain political persuasions aren't to be granted tax exempt status and certain children should be put on different organ donor lists.

THis is the same .gov that ships thousands of guns to Mexico and blames the citizens for it, is purposefully running our economy into the toilet and pushes a global warming scam that threatens to remove the US as a world super power.

I trust them with my DNA records forever.

Top Bottom