• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CTS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    I'm not a drinker, but I need to get a bottle of scotch for someone and have no idea what to get. I'd like something nicer than the cheap stuff, maybe $100 or less? I figure I could go into a liquor store and ask but I have absolutely no idea if what I would be getting is expensive and disgusting or cheap and good. Would any of you have a recommendation?

yellowhousejake

Sharpshooter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    Greenfield
    Glenlivet 12 year, or MacAllen would be good choices as they are easy to find and good quality. Glenlivet is smoother, MacAllen spicier, both between $45 and $65. If you want the full smoky flavor of peat filtered single malt, look for "The Irishman" at $80+.

If you know they like Scotch, I'd go with a single malt like those three.

YHJ

swampdonkey

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 21, 2012
    Bloomington
    HIGHLAND PARK 18

this is the best scotch on the market bar none for the price. it will change the way you or anyone else looks at scotch. glenlivet and the rest are a cheap second after having this.

Reno316

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 7, 2012
    Muncie
    It really kinda depends on what kind of scotch this person likes. Some folks prefer Islay Scotch, others (like me) perfer Highlands, others prefer Speysides... "Scotch Whisky" (note: There's no "e" in "whisky" when one refers to Scotch Whisky) is a pretty broad term for any liquor that meets the following criteria:

Produced at a distillery in Scotland from water and malted barley (to which only whole grains of other cereals may be added) all of which have been:
    Processed at that distillery into a mash
    Converted at that distillery to a fermentable substrate only by endogenous enzyme systems
    Fermented at that distillery only by adding yeast
    Distilled at an alcoholic strength by volume of less than 94.8% (190 US proof)
    Wholly matured in an excise warehouse in Scotland in oak casks of a capacity not exceeding 700 litres (185 US gal; 154 imp gal) for at least three years
    Retaining the colour, aroma, and taste of the raw materials used in, and the method of, its production and maturation
    Containing no added substances, other than water and plain (E150A) caramel colouring
    Comprising a minimum alcoholic strength by volume of 40% (80 US proof)

Different methods and materials make different tastes.

Now, me, I'd suggest Dalwhinne 15 year old. It runs about $55-65 a bottle, has a nice spicy finish, doesn't overpower you with smoke or peat, etc. I always keep a bottle handy (hey, that's a fine idea.... Be right back...) and it just works well for sitting by the fireplace and reading and having a dram.

Another option is to find a bottle of Yamazaki. This is a Japanese single malt whisky (it is NOT "Scotch", as it is distilled and casked in Japan, and thus cannot be legally called "Scotch whisky") that is aged in once-used oak casks bought from Glenlivet. In a blind taste test, almost everyone you'll ever meet will swear on their left testicle that they are drinking Glenlivet.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Get you some Ten High and after you've choked that down, you'll appreciate anything over $20. Of course I've never been into posh booze.

findingZzero

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    N WIndy
    I started with Macallan (aged in sherry wood), now Talisker (Isle of Skye) if you like smoky (smoke comes from the peat they distill with). I also like double wood Balvenie and my daughter bought me a bottle of Bunnahabhain (Islay). Lagavulin is good as well as Laphroaig if you like salty, peaty, somewhat harsh flavors. You could go broke finding the right one. You can't go wrong with Macallan. What do you know about the giftee?

danmdevries

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Top Left Corner
    Someone that's a scotch nut, Macallan single malt. It's a safe bet. They'll be impressed that you bought a well-regarded bottle of single malt at a price beyond a simple token gift. Regardless their tastes in scotch, in my opinion, Macallan is the most middle of the road as one can buy. Haven't found anyone that likes whiskeys that has said they did not enjoy a glass of Macallan. Another alternative along the same lines is the Glenlivet 12yr. I've had several bottles of the Macallan, only one of the Glenlivet. I felt the Macallan carried a bit more character through the drink, the Glen was a bit softer but both are a safe bet, and I know nobody that would say either is better/worse or say that either is a poorly crafted drink .

Someone that likes scotch but isn't a scotch nut, Johnnie Walker Black. If you want to impress them a bit, get a bottle of Gold or Green. All are execellent whiskeys, at different price points but should be under $100 with the Black being under $50 (but an excellent blend) Some scotch nuts will turn their nose at a blend. Personally, I'm a huge fan of JW, and other than the Red, I fully enjoy all their commercial offerings.

For someone in between the nut and the average scotch drinker, this: Johnnie Walker 'The Collection' Blended Scotch Whisky 4 - 200ml Bottles - Crown Wine & Spirits it's got 4 of the most popular JW blends (sans green) for around $100. You get a sample of the Blue (200+/bottle) Gold (100/bottle) Black (40/bottle) and Red (not worth buying a bottle). They'll be very pleased with the inclusion of the gold and blue. This would be my go-to for buying scotch as a gift. In fact, it has been.... Scotch, like cigars, can be reviewed/ rated up and down and the most highly regarded by the specialized media may not work with your personal tastes.

Unless you know for sure what they like, I'd stick to what I've posted here. The two single malts are easy drinking, and there's not a scotch drinker I've met that would turn down a glass. The Johnnie Walker blends are excellent blended scotch whiskeys but some scotch snobs will turn them down because they're blends. Personally, I feel blending makes a more stable product that I can say I like this bottle, I will like the next bottle, and the next and soforth. Therefore, if not a scotch snob, a bottle of JW Green or Gold, or the sampler that includes a bit of gold and blue, is perfect. Several flavors, sure to find one they like.

Last edited:

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    One Bourbon, One Scotch, One Beer

If he is a scotch drinker fill up his bar with other stuff. He likely has a favorite(s) scotch so asking us is useless. But if he entertains then he will get visitors that are not scotch drinkers. So stock his bar with some nice liquors that he can impress his guest with, they will last a while longer since he is not drinking them daily and whenever he serves someone from his bar they will comment on his excellent taste which he can attribute to you. So instead of scotch get an assortment of unique liqours that aren't sitting on the top shelf of every local bar:

GIN - Hendricks / Boodles / Plymouth
    BOURBON - Bakers / Woodford / Basil Hayden
    TEQUILA - ask a tequila drinker
    VODKA - ask a Russian

Scotch is a personal thing. Take them shopping with you.

Excellent suggestion too. Head over to Cap N Cork in Covington Plaza, they have a good selection of samples you can taste. As I recall JK ODonnels has a wide assortment of scotch too if you want to get more than a taste.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2011
    Scotch is a personal thing. Take them shopping with you.

This ..... There are as many types of scotch as there are drinkers.

That said, i'd recommend Laphroaig or Oban

also this may help....

These maps can help you guide your way...

A-Guide-to-Flavours.png

distilleries_full_map.jpg

chemteach

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2013
    Plymouth
    If he likes good scotch, he won't turn his nose up at any quality scotches you give him. The Glenlivet is really good and still reasonable. The Balvenie is good, but has become popular and, therefore, pricey. A relatively new scotch is Tomatin. Its pretty good and under $30. Be careful, if you to learn to enjoy drinking scotch, its like shooting. It becomes addictive and is a money pit.

Top Bottom