• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Enfieldno4mk1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 27, 2012
    Shelbyville
    I am considering buying another Mosin to add a scope to. On the internet there seem to be many different ideas on how to do this. Any opinions on the best way to put a scope on a Mosin? Thanks for the help.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    The best way would be to drill and tap the reciver. But you may not want to do that. The only other choice would be the rear sight mount, but if you use it you will need a long eye relief scope, so its a give and take.

peberly400

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2012
    Warsaw
    Brass stackers mount is amazing. It knocks out the rear sights and allows for a mouth there. Then you add a long eye relief (basically a pistol scope) a you get a scoped mosin and you didnt have to chop it up.

peberly400

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2012
    Warsaw
    Weaver 2.5x8x28mm. You should be able to get almost 1 inch groups at 100 yards with decent ammo. Heres a good video on the mounting system. Guy talks a lot and videos a little long, but its really pretty good.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOmqUdhJm_8[/ame]

Colinb913

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 15, 2012
    Newburgh
    I heated and tapped my back sight off of the rail it was on and put a scope right on there, long eye relief of course.

Salty Possum

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2012
    Greenfield, IN
    I am considering buying another Mosin to add a scope to. On the internet there seem to be many different ideas on how to do this. Any opinions on the best way to put a scope on a Mosin? Thanks for the help.

You got several options, there really are only 3 in my opinion. Here you go
    1. Brass Stacker Mosin Nagant 9130 See Thru Scout Scope Mount 9130-SSM -Solid scout type scope mount.
    2. http://www.rocksolidind.com/mosin-nagant/mosin-nagant-hex-receiver-scope-mount-1.html - The best scope mount out there, it does require drilling and tapping though.....
    3. Home Page - A great scope mount no drilling or tapping required!

These three are the best from what I've seen online, I've shot a guy's mosin that had the scope mount on and it works great. But if your not a scout scope kinda guy look at the other two.

:patriot:

sgm98ws6

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2011
    I used the ATI kit with the bolt handle when i did mine. Had a small vice and a hand drill and it was really quite simple to install. I think I still have a couple of pictures of it on my old cell phone. But over all it was the first rifle i modded and seemed to be fairly easy.

lmyer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 28, 2012
    South Bend
    Leapers Airgun/.22 1" Bi-directional Offset Optimum Profile Mount RGPMOFS38-25H4

I use this mount directly on the dovetail. If you have a refurb 91/30 or 91/59, just remove the two pins and knock the rear sight mount off. You can always restore it back to original later. Note this does not work with any other Mosins.

Total cost with NCStar Scope = about $55.

Leapers Airgun/.22 1" Bi-directional Offset Optimum Profile Mount RGPMOFS38-25H4 FREE S&H RGPMOFS38-25H4. Leapers Accushot Riflescope Mounts, Rings & Bases, Leapers Accushot Rifle Scopes, Leapers Riflescope Mounts, Rings & Bases.

p.s. the finish on this laminated stock is original! A 1942 Izhevsk refurb - my first Mosin!

Les

http://i1260.photobucket.com/albums/ii568/lesmyer/Scope1.jpg
    Scope1.jpg

Scope2.jpg

Last edited:

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Leapers Airgun/.22 1" Bi-directional Offset Optimum Profile Mount RGPMOFS38-25H4

I use this mount directly on the dovetail. If you have a refurb 91/30 or 91/59, just remove the two pins and knock the rear sight mount off. You can always restore it back to original later. Note this does not work with any other Mosins.

Total cost with NCStar Scope = about $55

Leapers Airgun/.22 1" Bi-directional Offset Optimum Profile Mount RGPMOFS38-25H4 FREE S&H RGPMOFS38-25H4. Leapers Accushot Riflescope Mounts, Rings & Bases, Leapers Accushot Rifle Scopes, Leapers Riflescope Mounts, Rings & Bases.

Les

attachment.php

attachment.php

im not a mosin guy, but i cant imagine a airrifle mount and a ncstar would last much more than 1 range trip on the mosin

lmyer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 28, 2012
    South Bend
    im not a mosin guy, but i cant imagine a airrifle mount and a ncstar would last much more than 1 range trip on the mosin

Hundreds of rounds on this one. I have three that are just fine. One was bad from the beginning and it was replaced for free. If you get a scope that is not adjusting in the low (tight) side to center of it's adjustment range, it will never hold zero and will be trash shortly. Same with other brands of scopes as well.

Mount is aluminum, but has two set screws to tighten the mount. Better than a NC Star on a mount that is perched on top of the mount I think!!

LMyer

with the old refurb and this setup

120410_9130_Reload.jpg

LMyer

Last edited:

Dorky_D

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 4, 2010
    I have given some thought to doing a side mount scope, but I am not brave enough to do the drilling myself. Is there anyone in the Indy area that competently does this?

AuburnGuy

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 3, 2012
    Auburn, Indiana
    I just did mine last night. Took less than 20 minutes. I bought a UTG rail mount. $8. I used a small nail punch block of wood and took off the iron sight. Super easy. Under the iron sight is a dove tail, attach rail, and your DONE. and if you want your iron sight back, just put it back on. 2-3 pins and done. Remember to take all of them out.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7lZI4HD3gM&feature=related[/ame]

Video on removing iron sights.

Enfieldno4mk1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 27, 2012
    Shelbyville
    Thanks for everyone's help on this. It looks like there are a lot of different opinions on this. My concern with the lower cost mounts is if they will hold up to the recoil of a Mosin. I will contact 2cool for his opinion.

happyfiero

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Campbellsburg IN.
    Its all what you want, and how you plan to use it.
    the scout type mount is cheaper package
    because you dont need a bent bolt

Receiver mount needs a bolt to match the brand of mount
    Ati vs rocksoild

mesha1.jpg

Wanted it to be steady. I went with ATI mount .two holes to drill and tap
    Rock-solid is the same but More
    cost 29.00 vs 99.00
    get a welded bent bolt avg cost 70 .00
    total cost 110.00 to 175.00 / mount and bolt

kb66

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Noblesville
    happyfiero,

I have read that some the ATI mounts tend to be less stable than the Rock-Solid mounts, what has your experience been?

Nice rifle, what is on the barrel just in front of the scope?

Top Bottom