• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 23, 2009
    Brainardland
    Pards, I need some advice...

I inherited a mint Winchester 9422M .22Mag from my father. I'm not sure he ever fired it. This strikes me as a rifle that just begs for a scope.

I've never mounted a scope on a rifle, and looking around the gun supply houses I see a dizzying array of scope stuff. It seems with this model that if I use see-through mounts the scope may be high, and mounted low it seems there may be eye-relief issues and interference with the hammer.

What can you 9422 owners tell me about mounts, rings, scopes etc. that will help me get the most from this rifle's capabilities?

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Pards, I need some advice...

I inherited a mint Winchester 9422M .22Mag from my father. I'm not sure he ever fired it. This strikes me as a rifle that just begs for a scope.

I've never mounted a scope on a rifle, and looking around the gun supply houses I see a dizzying array of scope stuff. It seems with this model that if I use see-through mounts the scope may be high, and mounted low it seems there may be eye-relief issues and interference with the hammer.

What can you 9422 owners tell me about mounts, rings, scopes etc. that will help me get the most from this rifle's capabilities?

ive never mounted a scope on one before, but if you buy a scope threw me you always have the option of bring it out and we can try a few things. im sure i have somthing in my rings inventory that will work great.

as far as the see threw rings i almost never recomend them. they cause 2 problems, cheek weld and the crosshairs cross the path of the bullet at to drastic of a angle. if i were guessing id say a set of .97 rings would be what you want

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    See through rings suck.
    Put a nice pair of Burris steel .22 rings (not cheap but compliment the nice rifle you have).
    Then add a hammer extension (slips over and sticks out to the side, tightened by set screw).
    There is a Weaver base (TO-10) that slides on the receiver 3/8 dovetails that will take regular Weaver base style rings, should you not want to go with the more narrow .22 style.
    However, the Weaver base slides on and is secured with a setscrew (or maybe 2 of them), which will leave a mark on the top of your receiver. If minty you might not want to do that.
    I've had 3 of the 9422Ms.
    Not crazy about scoping them, think the Marlins look better for that............but if I was to scope it, to do the nice rifle justice, I'd get a 2-7X Leupold rimfire scope. I ran a 4X compact on mine, and the others I left iron sighted. They all killed chucks to 75 yards, and I kinda liked the iron sighted ones better.

stocknup

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 28, 2011
    Monrovia area
    I have a 9422 .22 lr I bought in 1984............It begs not to have a scope. It is one accurate gun .
    Not what you asked, but thought I would throw that in . :)

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    If you want to scope it I would go low rings and low power. 4 power is plenty for a 22 ,mag heck 2.5 is good also. Mine wore a 1-4 redfield gold five star for years. Now it is unscoped.

I hate big scopes (Size wise In lever guns) .

kboom524

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    New Haven
    I inherited a 9422m from my father-in-law. thought about putting a scope on it, then i took it out and shot it, very accurate. It will stay iron sight only.
    If you do scope it I am with the others on here see through mounts suck. I also agree with the Luepold suggestion. I have a 4x rimfire scope on my 10/22. One of the best scopes I own.

Hondo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Many of the scope mounting options on the 9422's involve tapping a hole(s) in the left side of the receiver....this is a real eyesore in my opinion and lowers the asthetic as well as resale value of these calssic rifless...........my opinion only

bigmedicine

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood
    The 9422 should have a grooved receiver for mounts - please don't touch a drill! As Hookeye noted, you have several options; just don't skimp. A rifle that nice deserves good glass.

Top Bottom