• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2013
    Lafayette
    I purchased a Mossberg MVP and I will be using it for yotes and ground critters. I will be using a Vortex Crossfire II 6-18/44 mounted on a EGW solid one piece base. My question is does anyone have any good recommendations on scope rings and ring height? I want a good solid ring but don't need something like a Nightforce ring set. Just want something good quality and good price, but def not bottom of the barrel like some UTG BS on ebay. thanks for all and any help

cwillour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    90   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    Warne Maxima rings have done me well. The vertical split helps them fit well on either Weaver or picatinny rails. I had that same scope on my MVP with EGW's 0moa base & Warne high rings. The gap was just large enough for scope covers, but I did not try the medium rings to see if they would fit.

Last edited:

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Warne Maxima rings have done me well. The vertical split helps the fit well on either Weaver or picatinny rails. I had that same scope on my MVP with EGW's 0moa base & Warne high rings. The gap was just large enough for scope covers, but I did not try the medium rings to see if they would fit.

Close the thread, this is the answer your looking for. Med rings, should clear, but you will need highs if you want to do caps.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2013
    Lafayette
    Just noticed that the scope ring size will be 1" and not 30mm, any good or bad things about it. I wouldn't see why since Im only using it for varmint and coyotes. thanks

cwillour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    90   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    The biggest impact you are likely to notice is the reduced internal adjustment range. Although a 30mm scope may offer better low-light clarity at that magnification, you would likely have to spend several times the cost of the Vortex to get a scope that delivers on the 30mm tubes potential and still tracks well.

Out to 3-400 yds I think you will have enough adjustment range to dial for elevation on the 6-18x Crossfire II. IIRC, most loads will drop less than 10moa at 400 yds and that scope has a 40moa vertical adjustment range. If you plan on going outin the 600yd range, you will probably find yourself either needing to 20moa base or using a combination of dial + holdover.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2013
    Lafayette
    Warne Maxima rings have done me well. The vertical split helps them fit well on either Weaver or picatinny rails. I had that same scope on my MVP with EGW's 0moa base & Warne high rings. The gap was just large enough for scope covers, but I did not try the medium rings to see if they would fit.

Would you happen to have any pictures of the scope and the rings on your rifle? Curious about the clearance. Thanks a ton

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2013
    Lafayette
    Looks awesome, I just ordered my base from EGW and got 10% off woo hoo. Ill take it I guess. I am just wondering why do you have your scope mounted so far forward, again just wondering. Gun looks awesome and I cant wait to get my base and rings for mine, Ill have some pictures up as soon as I get it all squared away. Got my optic yesterday at Gander in LAF for $199, I called and talked to Vortex about the BDC I couldn't quite figure out my bullet drop at yardage using the hash marks but I got it all figured out now I think. Thanks all and cwillour for the pics!!!

cwillour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    90   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    I am just wondering why do you have your scope mounted so far forward, again just wondering.

I tend to lean in & extend (turkey?) my neck pretty far to get solid cheek weld when prone or using a rest (think nose to the charging handle), so by the time I allowed for the 3.5-4" of eye relief the scope ended up pushed forward a ways.

shawnba67

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2012
    So Indiana
    Burris signature rings. I put a set on my muzzleloader and using the inserts moved my point of impact 23 inchs without using any of my scope adjustment's love them.

Top Bottom