• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I'm looking for a scope to put on my 10/22. I'd like a low-power variable (in the 1.5 (or 2)-5x area) to perforate paper at up to 100ish yards. I want crosshairs (or mildot) rather than MOA dot. I'd also prefer to keep the price under $200. I'm obviously not looking for high-end glass, just something reasonable to plink with.

I really don't want to go through ten different scopes trying to find one that doesn't suck. Anybody have any recommendations on brands or, preferably, specific models to check out?

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    My Dad recently put on of these on this .22 rifle. I have tried and it seems like a decent scope. I have a few other BSA scopes and I havent had any issues with them.

High Quality Optical Products, Rifle Scopes, Binoculars, Spotting Scopes and Accessories

Yeah, that's the sort of thing I'm looking for. Price is cheaper than I expected, too. Thanks.

I will continue to take additional recommendations right up to the instant I buy one, so if anyone else has a suggestion, I'm all ears.

Melensdad: How is the glass on that Swift? I've noticed on some cheaper brands that it's not ground very well and it makes weird out-of-focus spots sometimes. That's partly was I hate Tasco telescopes.

slow1911s

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Leupold can be had for right at $200. You really can't go wrong, and if you sell it you can get most of your $$$ back. I recommend the 1-4x

SWFA Riflescopes Leupold Hunting Riflescopes Leupold VX-I Riflescopes

Now, here is something for about 1/2 of the Leupy.

Pentax 1.75-5x20 Gameseeker Rifle Scope
    Rhino and I both have a 1.5-5x version of this (mfg 3+ yrs ago) and love them. I use mine on an AR w/ Larue mount. Rhino on a 22 bolt gun. Pentax has very, very good glass - probably the best $ for $. I think you'd be very happy with this.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Opinion

My :twocents:. I've had 2 BSA scopes. I gave away a 6-24 BSA. It was utterly useless in the upper half of it's alleged range and barely passable in the lower end. It seemed OK in the store but just about any scope looks good enough standing in a shop looking through it. The other is a 4-12 airgun scope on a seldom-used .17 HM2. Most of my 20+ scopes are Bushnell, primarily 3200s & 4200s. We'll spend 6-8 hours a day behind a scope on a prairie dog trip and cheap optics just don't cut it. The one exception I've found is the Mueller APV. It's a 4.5-14 with an adjustable objective and duplex reticle. Mine's mounted on a CZ 452 Trainer in .17 HMR which has ruined a slew of p dogs. SWFA has it for $114.95 and, IMO, you won't find a better scope for the money. I'll be glad to let you take a look through it.
    SWFA Riflescopes Mueller Riflescopes Mueller APV Riflescopes

Friends don't let friends buy BSAs! :):

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    Scutter, if you would like to take my Savage with the Mueller APV with you to the range the next time you go, you're welcome to borrow it....

that's the 4.5 --> 14 power

shawkpilot

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 18, 2008
    Lawrenceburg
    I have a simmon silver 3x9 on my stainless and it has never let me down. I wouldn't recommend a simmons on a higher caliber, but for a .22 it's perfect. One of my local shops always puts pellet gun scopes on his .22's and .17's.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    I have a Leaper`s 4x16x40 scope, and its the berries. At night it still not bad, even for a 40 mm front lens. It cost me $60.00 buck, well worth it. For a Ruger 10 22 , one don`t need a thousand dollar scope any ways ha ha.

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    136   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    I have a 3x9 Burris on mine, the magnification above 5 or 6 x is too high for most uses. It was about $100

I put a 4x Swift on my daughters 10/22 and that seems like a pretty good match. It was about $65

I second the burris great value for the dollar I had a 3x9 on my 22 and at worked great.

keyser

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Aug 23, 2008
    CDNN has Simmons Blazer 4x32 with 1" tubes on sale for <$20. I'd think that'd be plenty good enough, it's a .22 so it's not like recoil is going to effect the scope or anything.

Simon6101

Master
    Rating - 100%
    161   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Sw Indy(Camby)
    perfect scope

Bushnell makes an air rifle scope that is 3x9 with the adjustable objective on it. They run around 70 dollars I believe. Perfect scope for any .22 rifle if you are only squirrel hunting or 25-50 yard target shooting

Top Bottom