• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Trapgn1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2014
    Sellersburg
    I've bought a 300 Win Mag, and I'm in the process of decking it out. (Muzzle break, new stock, bi pod, ect...) but I'm torn on a scope. I've been playing around with a Nikon Monarch 6-24x50 with BDC. But I'm concerned the BDC circles will cover up too much of my target. I've been looking at Leupolds I just don't know what to get. I want a bullet drop compensation, and I'm wanting to get out to 500 yards for now. Maybe beyond at a later time. I've shot long range before but this is MY first long range gun so advice is needed! I'm wanting to stay around the $700 range on glass if at all possible...

Trapgn1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2014
    Sellersburg
    Mainly will be a target rifle, but as being I live on the border I'll jump over to KY and smoke a whitetail each year with it. So something that's versatile.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    I'd highly recommend you give this a watch before you go dropping glass on your rifle not suited to your uses.

[video=youtube;TRpBxLbxhAo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRpBxLbxhAo[/video]

Last edited:
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    I have the Nikon Buckmaster 4.5x14x40mm on my Remington 700 7mm rem mag and it shoots great out to 500 yards! I have also shot a 300wsm with the same scope in 18 power and it was great as well. I like the Nikon scopes and the BDC makes it extremely easy to shoot longer ranges for people that may not do it all the time.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Everyone does their BDC differently. Depending on who's scope you choose BDC can be very beneficial in hunting situations. Keep in mind deer don't stand still as long as steel targets.

If you go nikon skip the circle BDC. If your shooting long enough range you need holdover a circle will enclose to much area. Its not such a issue of of the circles covering the target as the entire target is inside of the target. You want to aim at a spot not a area.

Measuring reticles trump BDC every time. For you use and budget I'd take a hard look at the PST 4-16 SFP. I've got a demo for sale in the classifieds right now that will save you 100 bucks on one. I'm on my phone so I can't post a link. It will be under my "threads started"

Last edited:

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Don't go with a BDC. Learn to dial the the turret.

Dirty Steve

I do believe dialing is a good thing, but its nice to have a BDC/measureing reticle as a back up system.

I deer hunt with a PST 4-16 (same as I recomended the OP except mine is FFP) If I have time on a long range shot I will dial every time, but sometimes deer don't give you that kind of time. When they dont its nice that I know my dope chart from dialing matches my reticle for holding.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    ^^This^^

BDC's don't always match the loads your rifle likes and this will become more of an issue the farther you're shooting.

BDC's always match, but they don't match what the manufacturer says they should. You have to look at the BDC as known points of referance and see where they line up with your rifle/load. What the manufacturer says is 300 may be 360 in your setup. You have to put some round down range and figure out your drop. No manufactor can tell you what it is, and when they do its not much more than a educated guess.

This is where a measuring reticle comes into play.

Whitsettd8

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Floyd Co
    I just completed my 300 Win Mag build. After talking to Vette and reading several reviews I ended up with a Vortex PST 6-24 X 50 SFP and couldn't be happier. I couldn't afford a new one so I just watched the classifieds for a while and got a good deal on a used one. I highly recommend this scope

Just noticed your from the Burg as well get a hold of me once you can PM and we will go out and sling some lead.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I just completed my 300 Win Mag build. After talking to Vette and reading several reviews I ended up with a Vortex PST 6-24 X 50 SFP and couldn't be happier. I couldn't afford a new one so I just watched the classifieds for a while and got a good deal on a used one. I highly recommend this scope

Just noticed your from the Burg as well get a hold of me once you can PM and we will go out and sling some lead.

Glad I could point you in the right dirrection even if I couldnt get the sale. Ill catch you next time sir.

Trapgn1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2014
    Sellersburg
    I'll have to take you up on hittin the range sometime. I've been doing a lot of playin with Vortex the last few days. I think that'll be my final choice.!

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    Bushnell Elite 3200 10x40 with mil/mil, this model is only made for MidwayUsa.com The elite 3200 is a common model but the one with 10x40 with mil/mil is NOT made for anyone other than midway. Bushnell Elite 3200 Tactical Rifle Scope 10x 40mm 1/10 Mil Adjustments Runs $189.99. I have one on my Remington 700 Tactical AAC-SD .308

You can get the Elite 3200 in many flavors but if you want mil/mil then its midwayusa. Bushnell makes the elite 3200 in multi power as well of course.

Top Bottom