• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TwinTurbo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Under pressure with two snails
    I'm considering getting a scope for my SP6920, and I'm not really sure what the best options are. I'm looking in the 150-350 price range and have been considering the Nikon M223. Anything else out there I should be aware of? I'll need a mount as well. Thanks in advance for any advice. :)

cwillour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    90   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    What type of shooting?

If you are thinking of the 1-4x, a couple of alternates come to mind:

Burris 1-4x Tac30
    Leupold VX Hog 1-4x
    Vortex Diamondback 1.75-5x

For a mount, I have had good luck with the Burris PEPRs.

TwinTurbo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    What type of shooting?

If you are thinking of the 1-4x, a couple of alternates come to mind:

Burris 1-4x Tac30
    Leupold VX Hog 1-4x
    Vortex Diamondback 1.75-5x

For a mount, I have had good luck with the Burris PEPRs.

I'll be using this for plinking and range duty, probably 100 to 400+ yards. I was looking at 2-8x. Do you recommend 1-4(ish) over a higher magnification? Thanks for the info.

nick89302

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 28, 2012
    Northern Indiana
    I'll be using this for plinking and range duty, probably 100 to 400+ yards. I was looking at 2-8x. Do you recommend 1-4(ish) over a higher magnification? Thanks for the info.

I think what you'll have to balance is how you need to balance speed of acquisition vs. how much magnification you need. Is 4x at 400yds going to be enough magnification? If it is, I would go with that. If you need more, maybe it is time to look for a 2-8 (like you mentioned) or a 3.5-10x.

Something else to keep in mind: SWFA and Vortex are coming out with 1-6x scopes this year.

As for a mount, I've had good luck with Larue Tactical, but you'll need to decide for yourself if you want to swallow the $200 price tag. Just remember it is a rock solid mount with QD capability that will return to zero.

cwillour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    90   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Northern Indiana

For myself, I only worry about getting down to a 1x if I think quick target acquisition under 50yds is vital. I am normally pretty happy with some that bottoms out in the 2-3x range in hunting scenarios or for most short range use.

Given that, I might look at something between a 2-7x and a 3-10x. If you are not expecting to shoot inside 100yds much, even a 4x at the lower end might be good -- which would allow for something like a 4-12x or a 4-16x (the 4-16x scopes seem to be pretty popular for 3-600yd use.)

There are several good Vortex scopes in this range, and I really like my Weaver 3-10x from MidwayUSA w/ mildots. I might even look for a Nikon with Mildots or a Sightron SII if you can find the right deal.

The only things I really have against the Nikons is the circles on the BDC (which feel too large at distance) and that the BDC points do not seem to be in standard moa or mil increments (which makes calculating offsets for intermediate ranges more complicated.) Just my :twocents:, however.

At 400+ yards on the range, though, I would look for good turrets and either a 20moa base or a 30mm tube to give you the option of dialing for range instead of being limited to the BDC points. I know I am being somewhat hypocritical in saying that, since I use mil or moa marks for most of my adjustment but I also confident that I give up accuracy for the speed of not having to turn and reset the turrets.

TwinTurbo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    I think what you'll have to balance is how you need to balance speed of acquisition vs. how much magnification you need. Is 4x at 400yds going to be enough magnification? If it is, I would go with that. If you need more, maybe it is time to look for a 2-8 (like you mentioned) or a 3.5-10x.

Something else to keep in mind: SWFA and Vortex are coming out with 1-6x scopes this year.

As for a mount, I've had good luck with Larue Tactical, but you'll need to decide for yourself if you want to swallow the $200 price tag. Just remember it is a rock solid mount with QD capability that will return to zero.

For myself, I only worry about getting down to a 1x if I think quick target acquisition under 50yds is vital. I am normally pretty happy with some that bottoms out in the 2-3x range in hunting scenarios or for most short range use.

Given that, I might look at something between a 2-7x and a 3-10x. If you are not expecting to shoot inside 100yds much, even a 4x at the lower end might be good -- which would allow for something like a 4-12x or a 4-16x (the 4-16x scopes seem to be pretty popular for 3-600yd use.)

There are several good Vortex scopes in this range, and I really like my Weaver 3-10x from MidwayUSA w/ mildots. I might even look for a Nikon with Mildots or a Sightron SII if you can find the right deal.

The only things I really have against the Nikons is the circles on the BDC (which feel too large at distance) and that the BDC points do not seem to be in standard moa or mil increments (which makes calculating offsets for intermediate ranges more complicated.) Just my :twocents:, however.

At 400+ yards on the range, though, I would look for good turrets and either a 20moa base or a 30mm tube to give you the option of dialing for range instead of being limited to the BDC points. I know I am being somewhat hypocritical in saying that, since I use mil or moa marks for most of my adjustment but I also confident that I give up accuracy for the speed of not having to turn and reset the turrets.

Thank you both for the great info. I think I'll look into the Vortex Diamondback 1.75-5x. The new 1-6x scopes sound great, but I'm in the market now. I didn't think about the BDC points being too large, but that would definitely be an issue. I really want a small point on the reticle for aiming.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Thank you both for the great info. I think I'll look into the Vortex Diamondback 1.75-5x. The new 1-6x scopes sound great, but I'm in the market now. I didn't think about the BDC points being too large, but that would definitely be an issue. I really want a small point on the reticle for aiming.

sorry for the late entry, ive been at the show all weekend. it seams like cwillour did my job for me. the 1.75-5 diamondback is a great option, i have them instock ready to ship at the lowest price to be found on the web. if you have questions feel free to drop me a email at alan@aaoptics.com

depending on what your wanting to do at 400 yards you will want more magnification. there are plenty of 2-7's in your price range and a great option here just outside of your pricerange http://www.vortexoptics.com/product...escope-with-dead-hold-bdc-moa-reticle/reticle

i sell them for 399 and its want i use on my personal deer rifle.

TwinTurbo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    sorry for the late entry, ive been at the show all weekend. it seams like cwillour did my job for me. the 1.75-5 diamondback is a great option, i have them instock ready to ship at the lowest price to be found on the web. if you have questions feel free to drop me a email at alan@aaoptics.com

depending on what your wanting to do at 400 yards you will want more magnification. there are plenty of 2-7's in your price range and a great option here just outside of your pricerange Vortex Optics - Viper HS 2.5-10x44 Dead-Hold BDC

i sell them for 399 and its want i use on my personal deer rifle.

Thanks, I'll send you an e-mail when I get home tonight. In addition to the scope and mount, I'm also interested in the VMX3 w/ swing mount to go with my sparc, which will be moving from the 6920 to the M&P 15-22.

Top Bottom