• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cundiff5535

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    Nwi
    Hey gang, I know that the two scopes I am going to list are a bit different but, for the price I am getting them at, its down to these two (ONLY). The Optic will be used for group size from 100-400 and maybe some plate shooting (not much though). I am really shooting for group size so precision is key for me. One of the scopes will be going on my AR-15... The upper that came from Compass Lake... has a full 26" Krieger barrel, Geissele match trigger... just a great target rifle really.

To get to the point my scope choice is down to the following:

Nightforce benchrest 8-32x56

or

Leupold Mark 4 8.5-25x50mm LR/T M1 Illuminated Reticle

Retail the prices are off about 400.00 bucks but, I can get the NF for around $1,100.00 and the Leopold for around $950.00

Thoughts?

Thanks,

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    The NIGHTFORCE will be bigger & heavier, but for target shooting it shouldn't matter, the NIGHTFORCE has .125 clicks better for target shooting, I like the NP-R2 reticle on my NIGHTFORCE
    nxs5522-ret.gif

The LEUPOLD MARK IV, is smaller & lighter, has a .250 (less clicks) faster to shoot at dangerous two legged animals, I like the TMR reticle

One will be better for smaller groups & the other quicker to fire, both have fine glass.

cundiff5535

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    Nwi
    gunman, I was thinking the same thing. Just was posing the question. I am 95% sure I am going with the NF given what I am using it for. The Leupold is simply a steal at that price though!

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    gunman, I was thinking the same thing. Just was posing the question. I am 95% sure I am going with the NF given what I am using it for. The Leupold is simply a steal at that price though!
    I have two NF NXS 5.5-22x56 on two McBRO'S 50 BMG & I have LEUPOLD MARK IV 4.5-14x50 on the McMILLAN 300 win mag. the reason for the NF NXS 5.5-22x56 is cause it will give me 110 MOA for long distance shooting, I think the NF 8-32x56 only has 50 MOA

cundiff5535

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    Nwi
    I have two NF NXS 5.5-22x56 on two McBRO'S 50 BMG & I have LEUPOLD MARK IV 4.5-14x50 on the McMILLAN 300 win mag. the reason for the NF NXS 5.5-22x56 is cause it will give me 110 MOA for long distance shooting, I think the NF 8-32x56 only has 50 MOA

Gunman, given the distance I will be shooting on a 223 Target Benchrest. I simply will not need the same MOA adjustments. Shooting a 308,338, or even 50... you can shoot out to 900+ with out batting an eye.

Since this is for 200-400 or so the magnification on the NF will be great as I want to be up close on it... group sizes are the goal! If I were to go with the next step up on NF BR, mirage of the elements may be a deterrent....

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    The nightforce is a no brainer. better optics, better warranty, better everything. Nightforce is 2 levels in front of leupold. The only advantage the leupold will offer is the internal travel. With the ranges you intend to shoot you dont really need alot of travel. My favorite reticle is the npr1, and the br series does not come in npr1 (or atleast they didnt last time I bought one) the npr2 would be my backup reticle

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    I picked up my first Nightforce scope last week, and I can't put it down. I love my Leopold Mark IV too, but you can feel the exceptional quality of the NF just by the weight and construction.

Either are going to be an exceptionally great optic, but I think I'd spring for the Nightforce.

tparell

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 17, 2012
    On my ARs i usually go with the scope with the smaller objective. Target shooting doesnt rely as heavily on light conditions as hunting usually does, and big objectives on ARs are really awkward. 40mm is my MAX

cundiff5535

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    Nwi
    How close do you live to the seller? might be worth the trip before you decide.
    To far for travel... The Leupold is in Nothern Wisco and the NF is in Cali.... I do a lot of accessory and brass sales to Cali, NEVER firearms though.

With that said, the guy in Wisco is a small mom and pap shop that I have already gotten 2 Mark 4's 6.5-20x50mm ill tmr... both at a hell of a price (I think I got them for 750 a piece)

My NF guy is great as well... wouldnt buy the NF scope from anyone other than this dude. He used to work for NF and can tell you more about their scopes and company then you could ever want or need to know.

On my ARs i usually go with the scope with the smaller objective. Target shooting doesnt rely as heavily on light conditions as hunting usually does, and big objectives on ARs are really awkward. 40mm is my MAX

As far as this goes... For me, with precision bench rest, I think large large objective helps... I have shot .118 and I needed all the light and magnification I had at the time (or at least I did to shoot this group). If you are running around or shooting prone etc... I agree. For pure precision, I disagree... but, I am sure there are folks on both sides of this thought!

Top Bottom