School Zone / Traffic Stop question - What happens here?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    You're driving by a school, and you exceed the speed limit. Officer lights you up.

You have two choices,

A. Pull over in the school area.
    B. Drive for a bit and pull over outside of the school area.

If A... you're now in a school zone with a firearm in your car. Cop approaches window. Again, two choices:

A. Inform cop you have a firearm.
    B. Don't inform.

If A... you've now let an officer know that you have a firearm in a school zone. In this situation, what happens? Does the cop understand that they pulled you over, and not pursue the law you may be breaking? (Entrapment?) Or does the officer lose their crap on you? Curious for answers from officers here, and non-LEO's.

If the officer were to pursue charges against you for having the gun in a school ground, how would that play out in court? I tend to think you'd win this one... but again, that's why I'm asking the question.

Lammchop93

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 23, 2011
    Floyds Knobs
    I have always wondered this, because I live next to a school and no one ever goes the speed limit there. I've never been pulled over, but there have been plenty of times where I should've been.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I was thinking I read here before when this question came up, if you're a LTCH holder and not on school property, you're G2G. But I'm sure those that have the laws memorized better than me will either confirm or refute me.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    As long as you don't get out of the car you're G2G! As normal though I'm not telling unless the specifically ask.

As long as you do not get out of your car on school property you are good to go.

Mmmmm....that's not how the IC reads, guys. You need to be picking up or dropping off, not just driving through. Personally, OP I'd drive a bit farther and get out of the zone, if possible. If the cops gets bent out of shape about it, then you might just want to tell him you're carrying and didn't want to commit a crime by being in a school zone with a firearm.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    No crime has been committed. Gun on public road in "school zone" is NOT "school property".

That said, pull over as soon as possible after getting "lit up". We don't "light you up" in an arbitrary spot so pull over when the officer indicates for you to do so.

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    No crime has been committed. Gun on public road in "school zone" is NOT "school property".

That said, pull over as soon as possible after getting "lit up". We don't "light you up" in an arbitrary spot so pull over when the officer indicates for you to do so.

Wondered when someone was going to say that. :yesway:

Yup!

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011

if no crime has been committed, then why is he being pulled over... ;)

you mean, no ADDITIONAL crime has been committed ;)

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    "School Zones" are not schools. Just stop and deal with the LEO.

I routinely get mixed messages about the whole "Stop right there" vs. "turn on flashers and pull over when safe". Folks routinely get told both, and then routinely get yelled at for doing the other. Me? I just try not to limit my professional interaction with LE.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis

Does "school property" begin at the front door of the school? That would make sense, and I think that answers my overall question. Thinking if you were to pull 'into' the school area... like the parking lot, or off of the main road just inside of the school area. Can't really think of many examples... the area around a school is typically quite large around here in Greenwood.

Yup!

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    Does "school property" begin at the front door of the school? That would make sense, and I think that answers my overall question. Thinking if you were to pull 'into' the school area... like the parking lot, or off of the main road just inside of the school area. Can't really think of many examples... the area around a school is typically quite large around here in Greenwood.

No. School Property ends where the property line says someone else owns that land. A public road is not owned by the school. If it were they would be responsible to pave it, paint it, and plow it.

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side

thank you... if "school zone" was off limits.... well let's just say I would be in soooooo much trouble as I routinely park ACROSS the street from the school and get out, leaving my firearm in the car while I go inside the school ACROSS the street

Yup!

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    Think of it in terms of your house. What do you consider your property? Certainly not the road correct?

councilman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2013
    Danville
    Think of it in terms of your house. What do you consider your property? Certainly not the road correct?

Actually, your property line is usually the center line of the street. From the center line of the street back toward your house will be a certain measurement (20, 30, 40 feet) that is an easement for the road and sidewalk. That area is for the "good of the public" and generally not under the control of the landowner. I believe that as long as you remain in this area you won't be found in violation of being on school property with a firearm. Any in the legal field wish to chime in on this.

Top Bottom