• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bogie

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Munster
    I am a student at Purdue University Calumet, and last month we received an email that emphasizes IC 35-47-5-2.5, The email emphasizes that anything that could be considered a weapon is not allowed on campus. I know that I read on here that Universities do not fall into the "school" category and therefore it is technically not illegal to have a gun on campus, but I am unable to find that certain thread. Could someone please clarify this for me?

iamaclone45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    Indiana
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...16185-ingunowners_faqs_sticky.html#post187168

OK, wait. Up there it said something about schools. What about colleges and universities? Is it illegal to carry there?
    The moderator team at INGO does not consist of any lawyers. With that fact in mind, we do have some basic concept of the English language and most of us have a fair command of its use. As such, this seems to be the relevant and applicable law. Colleges and Universities do not seem to fit the criteria of a "school":

Quote:
    IC 35-47-9-2
    Possession of firearms on school property, at school function, or on school bus; felony
    Sec. 2. A person who possesses a firearm:
    (1) in or on school property;
    (2) in or on property that is being used by a school for a school function; or
    (3) on a school bus;
    commits a Class D felony.

IC 35-41-1-24.7
    "School property" defined
    Sec. 24.7. "School property" means the following:
    (1) A building or other structure owned or rented by:
    (A) a school corporation;
    (B) an entity that is required to be licensed under IC 12-17.2 or IC 31-27;
    (C) a private school that is not supported and maintained by funds realized from the imposition of a tax on property, income, or sales; or
    (D) a federal, state, local, or nonprofit program or service operated to serve, assist, or otherwise benefit children who are at least three (3) years of age and not yet enrolled in kindergarten, including the following:
    (i) A Head Start program under 42 U.S.C. 9831 et seq.
    (ii) A special education preschool program.
    (iii) A developmental child care program for preschool children.
    (2) The grounds adjacent to and owned or rented in common with a building or other structure described in subdivision (1).

IC 20-18-2-16
    "School corporation"
    Sec. 16. (a) "School corporation", for purposes of this title (except IC 20-20-33, IC 20-26-1 through IC 20-26-5, IC 20-26-7, IC 20-30-8, and IC 20-43), means a public school corporation established by Indiana law. The term includes a:
    (1) school city;
    (2) school town;
    (3) school township;
    (4) consolidated school corporation;
    (5) metropolitan school district;
    (6) township school corporation;
    (7) county school corporation;
    (8) united school corporation; or
    (9) community school corporation.
    (b) "School corporation", for purposes of IC 20-26-1 through IC 20-26-5 and IC 20-26-7, has the meaning set forth in IC 20-26-2-4.
    (c) "School corporation", for purposes of IC 20-20-33 and IC 20-30-8, includes a charter school (as defined in IC 20-24-1-4).
    (d) "School corporation", for purposes of IC 20-43, has the meaning set forth in IC 20-43-1-23.

Colleges and universities do not seem to meet the criteria to be called "school property" according to the IC.
    Also, if you will be/would like to carry on a college/university campus, there is an excellent organization trying to spread the word about carrying on campuses across the nation: Students for Concealed Carry on Campus - ConcealedCampus.com

Smokepole

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2011
    Southern Hamilton County
    I am a student at Purdue University Calumet, and last month we received an email that emphasizes IC 35-47-5-2.5, The email emphasizes that anything that could be considered a weapon is not allowed on campus. I know that I read on here that Universities do not fall into the "school" category and therefore it is technically not illegal to have a gun on campus, but I am unable to find that certain thread. Could someone please clarify this for me?

So that would be all, cars, baseball bats (dozens of violations in the Athletic Dept.) steak knives (time to arrest the cook and cafeteria managers), lead pipes (go get the janitor), rope, hockey sticks, . . . . . You get the idea. All of the listed items and dozens more have been used as weapons numerous times in the past and can and have been CONSIDERED weapons. Are they REALLY serious? I know, yes they are. But they have to actually get serious somewhere. Or not, they are Libs after all. :D

g00n24

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    IN
    Not an answer to your question but... Purdue Rifle and Pistol Club
    Where do members of Purdue shooting teams & their gun club store their firearms? Off campus? :-/

They are kept at the armory which is ROTC's building IIRC. I was in the rifle and pistol club for a semester but only got over to the armory to shoot once or twice. I believe they did have personal firearms there as well as club/team owned weapons but they had to be stored in the armory. I don't recall the rules as far as the initial transporting them to the armory, if the student needed to get some kind of permission or what not...

jfryan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2012
    Schererville
    the section specifically referenced in the email (35-47-5-2.5) seems to pertain only to knives or sharp edged weapons:

IC 35-47-5-2.5
    Possession of a knife on school property
    Sec. 2.5. (a) As used in this section, "knife" means an instrument that:
    (1) consists of a sharp edged or sharp pointed blade capable of inflicting cutting, stabbing, or tearing wounds; and
    (2) is intended to be used as a weapon.
    (b) The term includes a dagger, dirk, poniard, stiletto, switchblade knife, or gravity knife.
    (c) A person who recklessly, knowingly, or intentionally possesses a knife on:
    (1) school property (as defined in IC 35-31.5-2-285);
    (2) a school bus (as defined in IC 20-27-2-8); or
    (3) a special purpose bus (as defined in IC 20-27-2-10);
    commits a Class B misdemeanor. However, the offense is a Class A misdemeanor if the person has a previous unrelated conviction under this section and a Class D felony if the offense results in bodily injury or serious bodily injury to another person.
    (d) This section does not apply to a person who possesses a knife:
    (1) if:
    (A) the knife is provided to the person by the school corporation or possession of the knife is authorized by the school corporation; and
    (B) the person uses the knife for a purpose authorized by the school corporation; or
    (2) if the knife is secured in a motor vehicle.

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    To clarify, it is not illegal to carry on campus, but most do have university/campus policy against it. That means you won't be arrested, but you can be expelled.

So, if a parent visits a campus and they carry - is that grounds to expel their child? Guess it depends on the university.

bigg cheese

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Crawfordsville
    Ivy Tech thinks it's a school, FYI. I had a guard stop me last year while I was walking a family member around the old stomping grounds to tell me I was breaking federal law against carrying in schools. Had that been true, I'd have had a SWAT team either tackling or shooting me.

Funny though, the kid's "bat-belt" was thicker than he was. I complied with his request to leave, but I did it slowly, making sure to look back every few seconds to smile at him while I had my arm around the wife :).

Electronrider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    White County
    Bottom line is that Purdue does not allow you to carry on campus. Get caught carrying and you potentially risk being expelled from school. Concealed means concealed. Only you can assess the risk.

Hammerhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Bartholomew County
    Bottom line is that Purdue does not allow you to carry on campus. Get caught carrying and you potentially risk being expelled from school. Concealed means concealed. Only you can assess the risk.

This only applies to students and faculty. As a citizen, I can and have carried on Purdue's campus, openly and concealed, as well as IU, IUPUC, and Ivy Tech.

Top Bottom