• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Lest y'all think I only pick on government schools....

Girl's natural hair "suddenly" an issue

At least the parents have some recourse here though. Theoretically, the threat of a mass exodus via withdrawal would be sufficient for the school to amend its position. Loss of paying customers over an issue as trivial as this would seem extremely stupid on the school's part. But apathy and "It's not affecting me" is probably going to keep most parents mum.

I wonder if the girl/her family pursued legal action how that would fare. The hair hasn't been a problem for 3 years and suddenly it's a distraction???? Because someone said it was? Sounds like a forum I used to frequent years ago. You couldn't post "offensive" material, but the libs were always complaining that the facts I posted rebutting their positions were "offensive" and my posts always got edited (or I got banned).

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    I smell a lawsuit in this schools future.... Good for the little girl for seeing through the bull****. Good for her for being proud of who she is.... We need more children like her.

VanDyke wears her hair in a natural African-American style, which she says she won’t change. “It says that I'm unique,” she tells WKMG. “First of all, it's puffy and I like it that way. I know people will tease me about it because it’s not straight. I don’t fit in.”

Vanessa-VanDyke-Watermark.jpg

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    So since she doesn't "fit" their idea of the right hairstyle, she's kicked out? Hopefully the little girl fights this :poop:

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    She should cut her hair or switch schools. If it was a boy at that school letting his hair grow out they would tell him the same thing, cut it or leave.
    I'd agree if the school hadn't let it be for 3 years without saying anything about it.

EDIT: she doesn't need to cut it, according to the school. Just tame it.

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    She should cut her hair or switch schools. If it was a boy at that school letting his hair grow out they would tell him the same thing, cut it or leave.

Its not a boy and my guess is there are plenty of little girls at the school who have similar length hair and who care for their hair similarly. It seems to be clean and well kept... it just doesn't "lay flat" like white hair.

Let's note that this little girl isn't purposely making her hair this way... this is how it naturally lays. For once I agree with 88gt... the school is setting themselves up for a **** storm of bad press and on the surface it seems they deserve it. This is a bad precedence.... Whats next... handing out detention for all kids who have freckles?

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    Its not a boy and my guess is there are plenty of little girls at the school who have similar length hair and who care for their hair similarly. It seems to be clean and well kept... it just doesn't "lay flat" like white hair.

Let's note that this little girl isn't purposely making her hair this way... this is how it naturally lays. For once I agree with 88gt... the school is setting themselves up for a **** storm of bad press and on the surface it seems they deserve it. This is a bad precedence.... Whats next... handing out detention for all kids who have freckles?
    :+1:

ultra...good

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    The quote from the news article "wearing her hair in a natural African-American hair style"....... say what? Curly and all puffed out is a natural African-American style? What the hell does that mean? Their hair naturally became like this as a result of their being Americanized? What, is it the water that does this? Where do they find the morons that write this stuff?

Now, to the meat of the story. Whoever made that decision at that school has about the same size brain as the one's that enforce the zero tolerance policies for finger and pop tart guns. If that person were in charge of my kids school they would be out of a job or my kid would be in a new school. End of story.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom