• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    I have said it a million times. Schools are gun free zones, so therefore this article is a fabrication and those kids were injured in some other way. (I can say this feeling ok about it since the report states the injuries were non life threatening.)

Buckaroo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    NWI
    Thank God for the staff who stopped this guy! Heroes one and all.

Too bad there was not a CCW in the parking lot to take him out and make a point for school carry.

Buckaroo

homeless

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    indy
    Those teachers are awesome and deserve to be seriously commended. I don't know if CCW would have made a real difference in this case, time line is too short, however it would have given the teachers a response other than charging a gun man.

All that being said Gun Free Zones don't work, and police response time didn't matter in this case.

critter592

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    North Central, IN
    Gun used by criminal in GUN FREE ZONE!

9NEWS.com | Denver | Colorado's Online News Leader | 2 students shot, injured at Deer Creek Middle School in Jefferson County
    BREAKING NEWS
    JEFFERSON COUNTY - Two students were shot at a middle school on Tuesday afternoon before teachers tackled a man with a rifle outside of the school. Authorities say the man is in custody.

Jacki Kelley, spokesperson for the Jefferson County Sheriff's Office, says one victim was found inside at Deer Creek Middle School and the other was found outside the school. Both are expected to survive.
    Deer Creek is on West Columbine Drive near South Garrison Street
    The victims were a boy and a girl. Both were taken to Littleton Hospital with non life-threatening injuries. Kelley says the parents of both of the injured students have been notified.
    She says the shootings happened outside of the school around 3 p.m., which is about when children would be getting out of school. Both of the victims were teenagers.
    Kelley says deputies have an adult man in custody as the suspect. She says he was taken into custody without much resistance, if any at all.
    Kelley says Deer Creek was put into lockdown because of the shooting.
    All of the students were taken to nearby Stony Creek Elementary School at West Columbine Drive and South Everett Street. Parents can go to Stony Creek to pick up their children.
    Groups of children were sent from one school to the other as investigators cleared Deer Creek.
    Parents should not go to Deer Creek to try and get their children.
    Reese Ferrin, a Deer Creek student, says he was standing next to Dr. David Benke, a seventh grade math teacher, when the shootings began.
    "I was by the crosswalk and the gunman came around the corner and Dr. Benke ran and tackled him," Reese said.
    Reese says Benke tackled the gunman first and other teachers piled on top of him.
    One student says she spoke with the shooter and he asked some students if they went to school at Deer Creek before he opened fire.
    Sheri Hasse says her son was on the bus and he saw at least one of the shootings happen outside the school. Her son was kept on the bus as deputies investigated the scene.
    Levi Shafter, a seventh grader, was also on the bus.
    "I heard a gunshot and everybody was running away, I was a little confused, and then I saw the shooter, I saw him put out a second shot and that's when the bus driver told us all to get down so we got down," Levi said. "I was really scared."
    "Some of the teachers tackled him and then the police arrived and arrested him," Levi said.
    Tamara Veremeer has a daughter who is an eighth grader at Deer Creek. She says she was parked close to the front of the school and heard a gunshot.
    "At that time, of course, I'm not thinking it's a gunshot. I see my daughter and her friends coming towards me and I hear a second gunshot and all - probably nine or 10 of them, just piled in my car and then I saw kids starting to run," she said.
    "I could see adults or someone leaning over someone," Veremeer said. "And then I saw a woman come out and pick up a rifle and so that's when I knew this was a shooting."
    Deer Creek is home to seventh and eighth graders.

(KUSA-TV © 2010 Multimedia Holdings Corporation)

Wow, a gun in a gun free zone. He must not have gotten the memo. The teachers' only option was to throw themselves bodily on him hoping he didn't fire on them as they did so. Great job on their part and EXTREMELY brave. They are heros no doubt. That that was their only option sucks.

STAG556

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2009
    Indy
    WAIT so youre telling me that a murdering criminal violated the Gun Free Zone law!? Thats hard to believe.

Unfortunately the libs are going to analyze this and attempt to make laws stricter... the no gun law worked really F'ing well today didn't it? Thank God there was a Sheepdog in town who had the kahunas to charge a gunman and take him out

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    responsibility.jpg

T-rav

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Ft. Wayne
    A CRIMINAL in a GUN FREE ZONE???? Impossible criminals know better then to take a gun into a gun free zone they are creating a crime!

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    More info from Yahoo News:
    My comments are in bold red
    Teacher tackles gunman supected in school shooting

By P. SOLOMON BANDA, Associated Press Writer P. Solomon Banda, Associated Press Writer 55 mins ago
    LITTLETON, Colo. – The gunman was walking through a middle school parking lot and taking shots at students with a hunting rifle as terrified teenagers ran for their lives. (Walking, not running. An easy target, fearing no effective resistance. If only someone could have stopped him without extreme risk to his own life.)He had just wounded two students and seemed ready to unleash more violence when a math teacher named David Benke sprung into action.
    Benke confronted the 32-year-old gunman, tackled him and pinned him to the ground with the help of another teacher, stopping what could have been a much more violent encounter in a city all too familiar with tragic school shootings. The shooting occurred in the same city where the Columbine High School massacre happened nearly 11 years ago.(Two on one, both running into the line of fire. Heroes, both.)

"Unfortunately he got another round off before I could grab him," Benke said. "He figured out that he wasn't going to be able to get another round chambered before I got to him so he dropped the gun and then we were kind of struggling around trying to get him subdued."
    The two students survived Tuesday's shooting and one remained hospitalized.
    Police said they aren't immediately sure about what motivated Bruco Strongeagle Eastwood to target Deer Creek Middle School just after classes had ended for the day. Eastwood has an arrest record in Colorado dating back to 1996 for menacing, assault, domestic violence and driving under the influence, and he is believed to have a history of mental issues. (A known, violent criminal; surely not one with a permit. We don't yet know where he got the gun, but we do know it wasn't from a FFL dealer.)

Jefferson County Sheriff Ted Mink praised Benke and called him a hero. Benke, the father of 7-year-old twins and a 13-year-old girl, fought back tears after Mink thanked him.
    "Believe me when I say, I think he stopped what could have been a more tragic event than it was this afternoon," Mink said.
    The victims, students Reagan Webber and Matt Thieu, were both treated at Littleton Adventist Hospital, where spokeswoman Christine Alexander said Webber was treated and released to her home. Thieu was transferred to The Children's Hospital, where he was listed in critical condition late Tuesday.
    Benke, a 6-foot-5 former college basketball player who oversees the school's track team, was monitoring the parking lot in the afternoon when he heard what he thought was a firecracker and began walking toward the noise. (A very athletic man, sounds like, and it still took two to subdue the criminal. Suppose kindly old Mrs. Wilson (hypothetically, 55, 5'2", 185#) and little Mr. Fenster (hypothetically 59, 5'5", 120#), the history and algebra teachers had been on parking lot patrol instead?)

"At first when I was walking over there, it was kind of what a teacher does," Benke said, still shaken hours after the shooting. "`Hey kid, what are you doing,' you know that kind of thing."
    He said another teacher was quickly on the scene and both of them pinned the gunman to the ground. Eastwood was armed with a bolt-action rifle. (A bolt gun...Well at least it wasn't one of those evil "assault weapons"! (That's sarcasm, for those of you keeping score at home.))

"I basically have my arms and legs wrapped around him, (the other teacher) has his forearm around his front and we were basically trying to get the guy to quit struggling."
    "I talked to him while we were on the ground," Benke added. "I was underneath him and his face was pretty close to mine. I asked him, `Why did you do this? Were you a student here?'
    "He either didn't respond or his responses didn't make a whole lot of sense," Benke said.
    Investigators said Eastwood visited the school previously and was inside shortly before the shooting. (And if he'd seen someone, anyone there, armed... Would he have changed his mind? Who can say?) He is expected to make his first court appearance Wednesday and may face at least two counts of attempted murder.
    Denver station KUSA-TV reported that Eastwood attended Deer Creek Middle School in the early 1990s.
    In 2005, Benke participated in a NASA-funded medical study in which he spent 10 days in a hospital bed so scientist could study muscle wasting, an affliction experienced by astronauts during long flights, according to a story in the Rocky Mountain News at the time.
    He told the newspaper that he had a lifelong dream of being an astronaut and described his occupation to the newspaper as horse trainer working at his father's Eagle's Nest Ranch in Hudson.
    A man who answered the phone Tuesday night at a number listed for Eastwood identified himself only as "Mr. Eastwood" and said he was Bruco Eastwood's father. He was at a loss for words.
    "There's nothing you can say about it. What can you say?" the man told The Associated Press. "Pretty dumb thing to do. I feel bad for the people involved." He wouldn't comment further.
    As for Benke, he said he still wishes he could have done: "It bugs me that he got another round off" before Benke tackled him to the ground.(And if Benke could have been armed, perhaps the criminal would not have.)

___
    Associated Press writers Samantha Abernethy in Littleton and Ivan Moreno and Thomas Peipert in Denver contributed to this story.

Copyright © 2010 Yahoo! Inc. All rights reserved.

How many more children (or adults, for that matter) have to be made into victims before the anti-self-defense morons are called out as the co-conspirators they are. No, they didn't make the plan with the shooter(s), they just laid the groundwork for his plan to succeed.

Speedy healing to Miss Webber and Mr. Thieu; they and their families, as well as Mr. Benke and his unnamed partner will be in my prayers.

Blessings,
    Bill

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Yet another incident of violence in our schools. We need more gun control law I tell you. We need to ban bolt action riffles right now. Just think he there were no bolt action riffles this would not have happened. Think of the children! The children! :rolleyes:

As for the 2 teachers I hope they have attys. Cause they just violated that guys right by not doing a proper citizen's arrest. Plus they physcially hurt him. That BG needs to sue them!

As for the students, I say get your parents' together and do a class-action lawsuit against the school district, the police, and the state/city/feds. The school district FAILED to provide a gun-free zone for you. The police failed to provide protection in a timley manner, and the state/city/fed limited your ability and that of your teachers to protect yourselves.

ocsdor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Lafayette, IN
    This story will be used by the "anti's" to prove why citizens should not own semi-autos.

They'll say: "Just think how many children he would have killed if he had an assault weapon."

Seancass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Near Whiteland, IN
    He is expected to make his first court appearance Wednesday and may face at least two counts of attempted murder.
    Two counts? I'd give him hundreds, for every single person there, teachers, parents, bus drivers and students.

I can never decide on these cases whether or not i'm glad the person is alive. I'd just assume they not waste tax payer money and the man be dead and getting what he deserves. But i hope the victems find some solice in justice being done here(i hope). Make any sence?

elaw555

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    As for the students, I say get your parents' together and do a class-action lawsuit against the school district, the police, and the state/city/feds. The school district FAILED to provide a gun-free zone for you. The police failed to provide protection in a timley manner, and the state/city/fed limited your ability and that of your teachers to protect yourselves.

Took the sarcasm out of this...

IF the .gov wants to effectively strip your right to defense THEN they are responsible for your defense.

Oh wait...

Warren v District of Columbia

Nevermind...sarcasm back on!

Last edited:
    Top Bottom