• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    OK, my pops has always wanted to own something with night vision on it. The other day he asked me to start looking into it when I had time, so here I am.

This would be on more of a varmint / coyote rifle, ie heavy barreled AR, with distances of around 100 to 200 yards typically (ie the family farm).

What is available? what is good? and what are the costs associated?

Thanks!
    Clay

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Im not a NV expert. Ive had a few so Im speaking from a consumer standpoint here but.

Functional night vision is not cheap. Ive had gen1, gen2, and gen 3. For your use gen3 would work, dont bother with gen 1 or 2. I had a gen3 that I could use out to about 300 yards. That wouldnt work for my purpose so I sold it.

Badly Bent

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2013
    i dont have any suggestions, but i do know some states outlawed night vision scopes for night hunting, BUT Indiana didnt :)

Indiana

Night Hunting: Allowed, requires a continuously burning light that can be seen for at least 500 feet to be carried while pursuing furbearing animals between sunset and sunrise.
    Night Vision: Allowed, not a prohibited activity per the 2010 & 2011 Hunting & Trapping Guide but per the regulations you must carry a continuously burning light that can be seen for at least 500 feet. Above information verified with Indiana DNR, Northern Region.
    Phone: 317-232-4080

cook5oh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    I dont have the rifle scopes, but here at work we use night vision goggles. I have the WPT goggles which is one of the newer technologies. It's crazy expensive but you can see clearly out several hundred yards. It has the same image quality as Generation 4, but its black and white instead of the usual green screen. the image seems completely natural. Generation 3 and 4 are all very good but expensive, several thousand dollars. I have used some of the older Generation2 scopes and they are actually really good for the price. I think you can pick one up for around 1500 bucks. Generation 1 is pretty dismal. The image is blurry and you almost always have to use the IR illuminator.

i would go with a Generation 2, unless you dont mind forking out a ton of money.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    yeah my goal is to gather enough info to tell my dad 'here is what you want, and here is what it costs'.

he will make the final decision on spending the $$. He has looked into it a little before, and we are both well aware of the potential costs. I told him to start at $1500 and go up.

I personally see the 'cool factor' of NV, but if it were my money I would go for a 'standard' 'Night Force' / US Optics / or a nice Vortex (hello Alan!), and try to get them before it gets dark ;)

cook5oh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    yeah my goal is to gather enough info to tell my dad 'here is what you want, and here is what it costs'.

he will make the final decision on spending the $$. He has looked into it a little before, and we are both well aware of the potential costs. I told him to start at $1500 and go up.

I personally see the 'cool factor' of NV, but if it were my money I would go for a 'standard' 'Night Force' / US Optics / or a nice Vortex (hello Alan!), and try to get them before it gets dark ;)

We use ATN nightvision and you can go to there website and see prices. You can order directly from them too. they have a lot of good information on there. They have great customer service too.

Night Vision Goggles, Night Vision Scopes, Night Vision Binoculars, Night Vision Accessories - Equipment by ATN

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    I think $1500 would be moddest. NV is limited by the available ambient light and IR floodlights don't really travel that far to begin with. I'm not a NV riflescope expert, but to get something which can effectively see to even 100 or more yards I think you'll be quickly into the several thousands of dollars.

The NVDs we're issued can only see MAYBE about 60-75 yards tops, but they aren't rifle optics either. I doubt you will get much further out though without considerably more cost. Those are in the $1500-2000 range even at government pricing if I remember correctly.

bcannon

QC Dept aka Picky F'er
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Apr 13, 2012
    Boiler Country
    For someone just getting into night vision 5-6yrs ago I bought a ATN mk390 with a external IR illuminator and 200 yds was its effective range - if i had new batteries I could see @ 250ish - for $650 its a getn your big toe wet kinda thing - had to change my flash supressor to a can because I kept getting blinded - finally bartered for Gen2 goggles and am getting a IR pb laser - much easier to use than a mounted scope IMO unless you have 10g's burning a hole in your pocket then I'd suggest thermal again MHO

Top Bottom