• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chipdog4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    The "L" in the axle code indicates Limited Slip

92- 98's were the worst years for valve seals (burning oil)

Our family loves the panther platform. 5 have been in the family, we still have 3 Mercury's.

three-marquis-007.jpg

wax-job-013.jpg

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I love the full sized Ford Products. My Current Grand Marquis has 130,000 miles and never needs any oil between the 3000 mile changes. The factory ball joints do not have grease fittings and they were getting worn, so I just had them changed. The Front end guy at the shop said if the new, greasable ones get greased every oil change, I will never need to change them again. No transmission problems and only one brake job since new. My air Conditioner was last charged in 2007 and is still cold. You will be surprised by how good the gas mileage is if you drive it easy. The Police motor is definately faster than the two valve civilian motor. Any clean car with 50,000 miles is worth $6000, I'd do it. If you don't what to look like a cop car, put whitewalls on it. Good luck

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    Sounds like a good deal to me as well.

I have a civilian issue light blue Crown Vic and idiots even slow down for me which sucks because I am one those people that tend to do the speed limit

jkfletcher

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 12, 2011
    A geographical oddity
    I've been driving on 2005 P71 for the last couple years. Fun car, decent gas mileage for its size. Drove it from Indy to Terre Haute to Cincinnati and back to Terre Haute last weekend and got 26mpg on interstate. The only real problem I've had with it is the intake gaskets. Time consuming but there is so much room to work that it was a fairly easy job to do, even having never torn a motor down before. And yeah, people drive like idiots around one. I've been tailgated more in this car than in any of my other cars combined. The "sitting in the blind spot" because they're not sure if you're a cop drives me crazy too. Lots of good info here: Crown Victoria, Grand Marquis, Marauder, and Towncar

hotrodtba

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jun 4, 2008
    Ossian
    Thanks for the replies everyone. I'll probably pick it up. On a side note, does anyone have unlimited car fax reports right now and would be willing to do one for me? Thanks.

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    Police INterceptor means very little. Suspension is slightly tweaked, and maybe a different exhaust. Supervisor or not, Id be cautious.

Have you ever had a rental car? Did you take care of it as your own? Think about this... Im just saying LE cars dont typically get nice and gentle miles.

Most patrol cars, supervisor included, are driven hard. Take home cars are always better taken care of (in most cases) than pool cars. Supervisor cars that are really just driven to and from work are usually really nice, but it still depends on the individual person and how they would treat their own car.

Also, not all agencies have officers drive their issued vehicles during EVOC training. The Plainfield academy has a fleet of junkers they can use for EVOC, though I think the departments have a choice to pay to use the junkers, or they can use their own.

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    Decent cars. The P71 will have engine oil and transmission coolers leading to longer service life. They are hard on brake rotors and fuel pumps. They are called police interceptors but there is nothing high performance about them (But I drive a 2011 Caprice now and that makes everything else a dog) . Matter of fact they are down right dogs. You can't lift the wiper blade arms to clean the windows. I have had five or so and every single one had a trunk the leaked. They suck big time on gas. The right side exhaust manifold will leak. But all in all I think it will make a durable and reliable car with plenty of parts availability.

steve666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Indianapolis Eastside
    IMO get the tranny checked out before. Supervisors car or not, they all use their own vehicle for their training (the name of the training is escaping me at 7am, I'm sure I'll remember it right when I log off). The training is fun, you basically find the limits of your car without flipping it however it is very hard on the transmissions. Other than that and the large blind spot you should be good to go with this street legal racing tank.
    Also be sure to get a lube change for the rear-end, it will save you bucks later.

cbseniour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    South East Marion County
    The one big thing you have to consider with a retired police car is idol time. While it may have only 47 K miles how many hours are on the engine?
    Other than that they are a great vehicle, usually fairly well maintained and with above average equipment.

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    Crown Vic PIs are good cars. I had one (a 2000) for a few years, and drove the hell out of it. I finally sold it to my brother, who still has it.

A couple of things: before I bought mine, I thought that people would get out of the way if they saw you coming up behind them, IN A POLICE CAR. They don't. They hit the brakes in front of you. It happens a lot, so be prepared for that. Next, you'll see people do a lot of stupid things when they see you, like look really stupid as they yank their seat belt over themselves, or lock up the wheels to avoid running the stop sign they were just about to run before they saw you. If you think people are stupid drivers now, wait until you're driving around in a Crown Vic Police Interceptor.

And +1 to crownvic.net. I learned a lot about that car there.

A truer statement has never been uttered. However you left out that you will never be able to change lanes as someone will always be in your blind spot. The best part about crown vics is their on frame construction instead of unibody. You can wreck one and rebuild it almost like legos. The downside to a police car is they get driven pretty hard, however they have oil coolers and transmission coolers to fend off premature wear. Once you get it you can mod the airbox and get a couple extra ponies out of it and you can install a havis sheild box that you can customize with plates, storage units, and cupholders so you don't have this big open section between the seats.

Just don't get a "dare" plate as i will make fun of you.

hotrodtba

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jun 4, 2008
    Ossian
    Just don't get a "dare" plate as i will make fun of you.

I was just joking with a co-worker about doing this. Funny you mentioned it.

Well I caved and purchased the Carfax report. No wrecks or anything, all service records. Been serviced its whole life at the local Ford dealer. I am going to go ahead and pull the trigger tomorrow and pick it up.

Top Bottom