• ...and so much more!
  • XDinmyXJ

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    Columbus, IN
    Well, I am on this "I gotta have a remington 700" kick. I am hoping to find someone willing to trade one for my Colt M4 .22 or sell it outright to get the funds for one. I was thinking of going with something in the .300 win mag, 7mm, ,308, or 30-06 because I want something that will be very accurate at a couple hundred yards. Since high powered rifle hunting is Illegal in Indiana, it will mainly be a range toy but AFAIK, its not illegal to use high-powered rifles in KY(unless the law changed and I didn't hear about it) where I have family and places to hunt. I want to have a good round for deer hunting/knocking down an elephant if need be! :D

Any suggestions, precautions, possible substitutions for me? I want something a little meaner than my ole .22 marlin!

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    of the 4 cals you listed i would narrow it down to the 308 or 7mm fairly quick. for me the winmag has to much recoil to shoot all day with. imo the 30-06 is outdated ballistically.

XDinmyXJ

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    Columbus, IN
    of the 4 cals you listed i would narrow it down to the 308 or 7mm fairly quick. for me the winmag has to much recoil to shoot all day with. imo the 30-06 is outdated ballistically.

Ok thanks for the tip. They are all about equal in price for the target loads it seems.

dtkw

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2009
    Bloomington
    I wouldn't call the 06 outdated yet. Since it's the oldest of the choices here, it is still a very good round for most North America large games.

Fixer

Expert
    Rating - 96.4%
    26   1   1
    Nov 22, 2009
    Fort Wayne Area
    I have owned a Remy 700 ADL with synthetic stock for quite a few years. It is chambered in 7MM Rem Mag with standard barrel. I have a Bushnell scope and a bipod on it, nothing special. For a stock rifle though it shoots an impressive group. It has the ballistics close to a 300 Win Mag without the heavy recoil of that round. I handload for it and this is where the rifle comes alive. I have recently shot a 3 shot group that all three bullets were touching at 100 yards. I am using 168 grain Berger VLD bullets and load them as close to the lands as possible. I have been extremely happy with how my rifle performs considering it only cost me about $350 when I got it years ago. I didn't have to spend $1200 on a rifle and I can shoot close to one hole groups at 100 yards. I can't ask for much more than that. The Remy 700 shoots well and won't kill your budget.

IndyMonkey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    Chances are you will never shoot the gun more than 20 or 30 rounds in one sitting so caliber is a moot point because of recoil.

I would choose the 300wm for me, but I travel a lot hunting.

XDinmyXJ

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    Columbus, IN
    Chances are you will never shoot the gun more than 20 or 30 rounds in one sitting so caliber is a moot point because of recoil.

You're right, I could also add a recoil pad if its too much. I won't put a couple hundred rounds through it in one sitting like my .22! I wanted to go with a bigger caliber for the obvious knock down power over say a .223 or .243 and .270 is about the same price and the other 4 i listed SO I may as well get a larger caliber. I don't really hunt but would love to kill a couple deer because I love venison!

308jake

Master
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Brownsburg
    I have a Remmy 308 w floating fluted barrel, match trigger and custom furniture...i freakin love it. 'eupold scope too. Great KY deer gun...never had one take a step after shot and not a lot of waste. Good ammo is pricey but worth it. Had it 5 years and absolutely love it.

XDinmyXJ

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    Columbus, IN
    I have a Remmy 308 w floating fluted barrel, match trigger and custom furniture...i freakin love it. 'eupold scope too. Great KY deer gun...never had one take a step after shot and not a lot of waste. Good ammo is pricey but worth it. Had it 5 years and absolutely love it.

Yeah i saw the good ammo gets expensive. I would use good ammo when hunting but go with something cheaper for target shooting. Gonna hit up some gun shops tomorrow and try to find a used one! :D

Also, how does a 770 compare to a 700?

Last edited:

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    The 770 doesn't compare......they are both Remingtons and bolt actions and thats where the similarity stops. 770 is a entry level highpower. There is a huge aftermarket following for the 700. Other than scope mounts there isn't much for a 770.

den57

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 28, 2009
    Franklin, In
    30-06, one of the best all around cal. out there. With the right load you can shoot anything from varmints to Moose. Great round.....

pop gunn

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2010
    Bought my 1st 700 BDL lt. hand 30-06 in 1976 - fight with my brother every year because his 700 in .270 WIN. aint nutten but a coyote rifle, other bro. uses a 700 in 7mm mag and last bro. 6'7'' 280# is recoil sensitive and goes with the .243 - guess what? they all shoot an 1" @ 100 =/- and we all kill deer every yr. with them - being the oldest, and living in VA where the season runs from nov. - mar with no daily bag limit, i've killed more than they have in PA. i've picked up others in .222, .243, .280, and .300 mag but they are right handed and sit most of the time, but the .280 mod. 700 "mountain rifle with Nosler bal. tip 150gr and 50gr of IMR and fed. match primers and neck sized cases outshoots everything I own and has taken several benchrest 100 and 200 yd sporting rifle matches. I love their easilt adjustable triggers and mine are set at 1/2 a pound

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in

that depends on the hunter/shooter. i put well over 30 rds threw my muzzleloader in one day when preping for hunting season. id put alot more threw a gun i could reload faster with. durring load development i put over 50rds down range for my 30-30,7mm,243,260.

it depends on if you want a gun to enjoy shooting. i personally enjoy shooting and 99% of my guns are shot regularly. i dont have alot of guns that go 2 months without getting shot. id say my shooting routine is not what the average shooter does, so for me recoil is a big issue. the least shot gun i own is a 300wby. want to guess why?

Last edited:

243rem700

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    If you have never tried a high powered rifle in the caliber you are wanting I would suggest you shoot something similar before you buy it. Other than that the 700s are great guns that are very accurate.

farmboy365

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   1
    Dec 22, 2008
    NE Indiana
    that depends on the hunter/shooter. i put well over 30 rds threw my muzzleloader in one day when preping for hunting season. id put alot more threw a gun i could reload faster with. durring load development i put over 50rds down range for my 30-30,7mm,243,260.

it depends on if you want a gun to enjoy shooting. i personally enjoy shooting and 99% of my guns are shot regularly. i dont have alot of guns that go 2 months without getting shot. id say my shooting routine is not what the average shooter does, so for me recoil is a big issue. the least shot gun i own is a 300wby. want to guess why?

[/quote]
    your not the average shooter I have rem 700s that have not been fired in 2 years but I know they still work.I dont have the time to fire all my guns every 2 months.

JBusch8899

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    Keep your eye's peeled for a Remington 700 PSS in 308.

Whatever you choose to purchase, place a good piece of glass upon it. An old rule of thumb, is to spend an equal amount of money on the optics, as you spend upon the rifle. That rule may have changed, as a number of cheaper optics have hit the market, with good commentary about their quality.

I recently purchased a used, but never fired Remington 700 PSS in .308, with a Springfield Armory 1st Gen, 4-14x56 government model scope, for $1300. I took it out a couple weeks ago at Roush and sighted it in. A real pleasure to shoot.

XDinmyXJ

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    Columbus, IN
    Eventually it will have a nice scope but it'll be a budget one until i can get ahold of a good scope. It seems as if nobody wants my M4 .22 anyways so its gonna be a while.

XDinmyXJ

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    Columbus, IN
    Well, I came across a 700 ADL in .243. I am not at all worried about it being an ADL. It can be changed if it bugs me. I'll be picking it up tonight.

Top Bottom