• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I have a 10.5" 300BLK with pistol length gas system. I love it so much I'm thinking about adding a similar 5.56 option. All of my current 5.56 guns are 16" or longer. Many they feel heavy and long compared to my SBR.

The only downside to a 5.56 short barrel is that most of the loads are worked up around 16" or longer barrels. That means win short barrels you will exchange muzzle velocity (and thus bullet performance) for muzzle flash (lots of powder still burning as it exits the barrel) unless you have flash reduced powder or worked up your own loads.

For most of us, that reduction in velocity and increase in flash really won't significantly affect our use of the gun.

cop car

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Southside
    I'd be careful who you let "school" you here. I heard .300 blackout is no good past 300 yards the other day :rofl:
    Some actual facts and discussion on 300blk.
    Max Effective Range of 300 AAC Blackout - 300BlkTalk
    just a couple posts in a guy comments that he wouldn't hunt with a 300blk past 100-150 yards.

The U.S. Military max effective range for a 14.5 m4 with 5.56 is 550 yards. Using the same drop and drift standards applied to a 16 inch 300blk rifle, the max effective range is 500 yards. Hardly anyone ever talks about 16 300blk uppers, even though I have one, the benefit to a 300blk is that you can go shorter. So with a 9in barrel, max effective range is 480 yards. That is a 50% probably hit rate in something like a 9 inch square area. So what does that mean? Your actual max effective range is probably going to be under 480 yards. 300blk wasn't designed to be a long range round. It was meant to be essentially a 7.62x39 (another close range and not long distance round) for the AR15. While I am flattered that you are taking time out of your day to troll threads I am in, you shouldn't go around saying stuff that makes you look like a middle schooler in an argument. Even with a 16 inch barrel I wouldn't shoot blackout past 300 yards and expect any acceptable results, same with 5.56. So you can continue to think what you want, but I'll look at ballistics and facts to determine how far I think a round/barrel/gun combo is good out to. And a 9-11 inch 300 blackout would be for close range and inside 300 yards. I'm sure I'll hear some more awesome and fact based responses from you also.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Some actual facts and discussion on 300blk.
    Max Effective Range of 300 AAC Blackout - 300BlkTalk
    just a couple posts in a guy comments that he wouldn't hunt with a 300blk past 100-150 yards.

The U.S. Military max effective range for a 14.5 m4 with 5.56 is 550 yards. Using the same drop and drift standards applied to a 16 inch 300blk rifle, the max effective range is 500 yards. Hardly anyone ever talks about 16 300blk uppers, even though I have one, the benefit to a 300blk is that you can go shorter. So with a 9in barrel, max effective range is 480 yards. That is a 50% probably hit rate in something like a 9 inch square area. So what does that mean? Your actual max effective range is probably going to be under 480 yards. 300blk wasn't designed to be a long range round. It was meant to be essentially a 7.62x39 (another close range and not long distance round) for the AR15. While I am flattered that you are taking time out of your day to troll threads I am in, you shouldn't go around saying stuff that makes you look like a middle schooler in an argument. Even with a 16 inch barrel I wouldn't shoot blackout past 300 yards and expect any acceptable results, same with 5.56. So you can continue to think what you want, but I'll look at ballistics and facts to determine how far I think a round/barrel/gun combo is good out to. And a 9-11 inch 300 blackout would be for close range and inside 300 yards. I'm sure I'll hear some more awesome and fact based responses from you also.
    Anytime u want me to eat your lunch on the range let me know

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    BCG and charging handle ordered, Form 1s signed, picked up, and packet mailed. Now we wait.

Still looking for handguards, not sure about my original choices, want matching ones for both uppers, but starting to rethink my plan...

At least I've got time, lol!

Top Bottom