• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AndersonIN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2009
    Anderson, IN
    Always answer "locked and loaded". Had a 'church' person ask......"Is this neighborhood that dangerous?" after looking at the Glock on my side. I replied "No, and I plan on keeping it that way!" God Bless America!

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    i would ask myself: why are jehovahs witnesses trying to spew me propoganda at this time of night. then id answer the door naked except for a pistol in my hand just like i do to them during the daytime, they seem to dislike my windmill impersonation. i havent seen one at my door in 2 years. haha

Mokkie

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2010
    Never used to lock the doors at night but always had sunshine with me. Now days I lock the doors anytime day or night always have sunshine with me. If you come by at night you had better call or it be a dire emergency.

Greenmonsta79

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    Clay County, IN
    Have not had it happen in over 7 years, last time had a guy blow a tire out down the road wanted to come in and use the phone at 3 a.m. I said no,
    I told him I would call the police and they could send some help, he seemed happy and left, all this talking through the door and the 500 shotty in my right hand locked cocked and ready to rock! :D

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    I just send my wife or boy. If they get offed, I reckon I'll have to roll out of bed. What a bother.

ihateiraq

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Upinya
    i fire through the door. people that know me know to hug the left side. i cant remember if its my left or theirs though...

indytechnerd

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Here and There
    I've only had the 'middle of the night' doorbell once, about 13yrs ago. It was about midnight or so, I happened to be up on the computer, my wife(then girlfriend) was at work in the ER at Clay County. It's probably a good thing I didn't answer armed (no peephole at the house we lived in), as 2 Terre Haute PD officers were standing in the doorway. They were looking for someone who had our house as their last known address.

RachelMarie

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2009
    First and foremost, it wouldn't be the knock that awoke me, It would be my pissed off heard of dogs on the other side of the "knock". My window is pointing towards the driveway so I'd obviously look there first. I wouldn't answer the door and wouldn't be seen unless I saw something/someone I recognized. And even then I'd be alert. If it isn't someone I know and it persisted, I'd have my husband get Callie and call the police while I was at the end of the stairway (still unseen) ready to shoot who might come through my door.
    I could go further into detail, but you get the drift!

Vic_Mackey

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Beastside
    I have one rule for all of my friends and family, and that is CALL FIRST! Nobody rings my doorbell that knows me, because they know my dogs start barking and don't shut up. So when I do get the occasional ring at the front door I have my pistol in my left hand against the back of the door when I answer. That way should it be some BG he won't have a chance to come in!

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    I'd answer the door with my PS90. If it was a badguy, I get to test the ballistics of the 5.7x28 round on something other than gelatin and if it was a neighbor in trouble, I'd be able to help them. Win-Win situation.

I can't imagine not answering a knock or a ring. We often hear about people/kids running to their neighbors house for help and no one answering. I'd hate to be one of those morons that let a kid die on their front porch.

As to people selling something (which sometimes are thieves posing as door-door salesmen), I'd rather them know someone was home than think it's a good time for them to break in tomorrow. Doesn't mean I always open the door, sometimes it's just a "I bought at the office".

We park all the cars in the garage so it's virtually impossible for someone to know if we are home or not.

JDonhardt

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    I'd like to share a story, fitting this scenario, that happened to me about 6 years ago...

I used to live in an apartment in downtown Indy. 11th and College Ave. For non locals, this is not an area one would want to stroll through alone at night, if you know what I mean...Anyway, my bedroom had a door (which I never used, nor did anyone who would visit) that opened right out onto the sidewalk of College Ave. Well one night - 1 or 2 am or so - I hear a knock at that door. I was obviously surprised and curious. I peeped out of the blinds to see an unkept, short, black man. He was older than me, maybe 35 or so. I figured he was one of the many bums around asking for change or handouts, I was used to it. But he was actually knocking on my door!

He was smaller than me, and I never felt threatened by these bums. They were generally out of shape, unhealthy, drug addicts or drunks. Those days, I trained regularly in Muay Thai (kickboxing), so I wouldnt have had a problem dealing with one of them.

I placed a baseball bat next to the door, out of his sight, then opened up. He looked like he was sizing me up - he was smaller than me, and with the two steps up into my bedroom he was in a terrible attacking position. This dynamic between us was more than obvious. He started giving me some story about how his car broke down yada yada yada. He wanted to come in - not happening, buddy. He wanted some money - I dont think so, pal. He wanted to use my phone to get a ride...alright, fine, make it quick. I handed him my cordless phone to use outside.

The whole time we talked - about 4-5 minutes - I had the distinct feeling that he wanted to try me. He was figity, nervous, he would stall and mix up his words - he kinda reminded me of some people I used to know who were addicted to crack cocaine when they were out of drugs.

I finally told him he had to leave. He did.

The very next day I heard a new story about a woman who was stabbed in her apartment the previous night - which was in the building right behind mine! According to the police report, a short black man in his late thirties/early forties knocked on her door late at night. When she opened the door he rushed her, knocking her down. He pulled a knife, stabbed her, but she managed to escape. She ran out of her apartment, called the cops, and when they arrived, saw that her place had been trashed a bit and some things were stolen. She was not seriously injured.

JDonhardt

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    I'd answer the door with my PS90. If it was a badguy, I get to test the ballistics of the 5.7x28 round on something other than gelatin and if it was a neighbor in trouble, I'd be able to help them. Win-Win situation.

I can't imagine not answering a knock or a ring. We often hear about people/kids running to their neighbors house for help and no one answering. I'd hate to be one of those morons that let a kid die on their front porch.

As to people selling something (which sometimes are thieves posing as door-door salesmen), I'd rather them know someone was home than think it's a good time for them to break in tomorrow. Doesn't mean I always open the door, sometimes it's just a "I bought at the office".

We park all the cars in the garage so it's virtually impossible for someone to know if we are home or not.

I agree with you about letting a stranger know someone is home. Along with my dog barking, I would want them to know there is a man in the house.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I literally slept through a tornado once, it dropped every tree in my yard, and blew part of the chimney down, boy was I surprised when I woke up, and I was sober as a judge, too. So if I'm rattled outta bed in the middle of the night, it would be by my wife, and let me tell you, I'm gonna be plenty ****** off! Let's just leave it at that.;)

Muddy_Ford

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    Hartford City
    I literally slept through a tornado once, it dropped every tree in my yard, and blew part of the chimney down, boy was I surprised when I woke up, and I was sober as a judge, too. So if I'm rattled outta bed in the middle of the night, it would be by my wife, and let me tell you, I'm gonna be plenty ****** off! Let's just leave it at that.;)

:): This ^
    That would be me, except I have never slept though a tornado, but i did sleep though a bear roaring as he walked upright all around my house once. Although in all fairness at the same time i was living next to Orlando international airport too. That may have helped desensitize me?:dunno:

Top Bottom