• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • random_eyes

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 31, 2009
    Curious what others would do if you were awakened in the middle of the night by the doorbell ringing. Seems the mainstream advice is to not "clear the house" if you suspect an intruder has broken in, but what about if someone knocks on the door?

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    I live in the country, unless I'm expecting the doorbell to ring I am armed when I answer. It's funny how cooperative the sales people are when they see you're not alone when you open the door!

RelicHound

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    SW IN
    peek through the window or peep hole..if I dont know who they are I dont answer the door..and I watch them until the leave.:dunno:

Archbishop

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    INDY
    I live in the country, unless I'm expecting the doorbell to ring I am armed when I answer. It's funny how cooperative the sales people are when they see you're not alone when you open the door!
    I live in the city, so I always answer the door armed. It's just sometimes you don't see it. I open the door with my left hand and my right hand is just out of view due to the angle. If I know you I holster weapon out of view as I swing the door open. I don't know you I tell you politely to leave. Again They never see the weapon.

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    Hell, I don't answer the door when people knock on it in the middle of the day and they can see me through the window. If I want to talk to anyone, I'll call them...

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    If home alone, I don't answer it unless I know who it is.
    If hubby is home I let him decide but I am there for back up if needed.

OiRadio47

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 21, 2010
    Mishawaka
    Hell, I don't answer the door when people knock on it in the middle of the day and they can see me through the window. If I want to talk to anyone, I'll call them...

I do the exact same thing. I'll sit and continue to watch tv while they continue to stand there!

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Turn on the porch lights, rack the 12 gauge, crack open the door, strobe them in the face with 135 lumens and demand that they state their business.

If they truly warrant my invitation to enter, I still make them wait outside until I put some pants on. :D

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Deadman's Hollow
    Curious what others would do if you were awakened in the middle of the night by the doorbell ringing. Seems the mainstream advice is to not "clear the house" if you suspect an intruder has broken in, but what about if someone knocks on the door?

Since I'm five miles from civilization, at the time of night it either an emergency, or someone up to no good. Id check the house quietly with the AR and put the 92FS in my shorts.

Last time this happened the two unexpecting fine pieces of human trash found a deputy coming down the lane and a SW 44 mag on them.

I'm a little better armed than I was years ago.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Turn on the porch lights, rack the 12 gauge, crack open the door, strobe them in the face with 135 lumens and demand that they state their business.

If they truly warrant my invitation to enter, I still make them wait outside until I put some pants on. :D

Mental note. NEVER go to ATM's house. He doesn't wear pants....

zip

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    I live in the city, but when we bought the house we told everyone to call before they stop by. So if someone knocks at the door it is not some one I know.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I live in a small town. I have lived here for almost 20 years and no one has ever knocked in the middle of the night. I would answer with the Glock fotay in hand but behind my back because more than likely it would be a neighbor in trouble.

bigiron

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    NWI hiding in the bushes
    if its the middle of the night, 20 gauge in hand and i would peak through the window at the top of the door. wife would be standing by with phone in hand ready to call 911 and dog would be at my right flank. i have a porch light that stays on all night so i'll be able to see who it is. if it is someone i don't know or like, call the police and stand guard until they arrive. otherwise, if i know them i would give them a stern lesson about calling or else risk being shot.

Last edited by a moderator:
    Top Bottom