• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tornrebel

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2013
    Indiana
    Can't speculate what happened, but I have dummy rounds for ever caliber of gun I own that I can run through after any changes or cleaning to ensure good working order of the gun and safety. I think a trip to a gun smith is in your near future and is a must after any mishap along with avoiding them in the future.

Archer46176

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 21, 2012
    South East of Indy
    I'm certain there had to be at least one, maybe two carts sitting in barrel already when I put mag in 3rd time and when I racked slide the hammer fired one into the other. It really didn't feel like 3 going off at same time. I noticed that when the safety is on and the slide is racked the hammer does not stay back and fires. But, when safety is OFF and slide is racked it does not. I'm wondering if I rack a round then put safety "On" will the hammer again hit the firing pin and send a round off??? Man, this is crazy. I need to learn more about this gun and I am going to take to gunsmith.

I am trying to figure out #1 what carts in firearms are. They are round or cartridges...
    #2 how you think 2 "carts" could be in the chamber at the same
    time without being noticed unless they were the wrong caliber.
    #3 how in the world 3 rounds went off at the exact same time in
    the same firearm. Without it being on fire thereby "cooking off"
    rounds.
    #4 IF the rounds did indeed go off at exactly the same time how
    did the pistol NOT get destroyed?
    There is more to this story there is too much "hinky" stuff here.

KoopaKGB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 99%
    101   1   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    South Bend
    They had a problem with those slam firing and also my son had one that would fire when he put the safty on!! Send it back to Smith & Weson to get it looked and /or fixed!

Sounds like a slamfire/runaway gun as others have said. How else can you have 3 spent casings?

Now is a good time to shameless plug this clearing barrel.
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...rel_for_all_guns_up_to_50_cal_api_rounds.html

If you read the part of my thread,the part about slamfires... then the clearing barrel will make a little more sense.

Then again you could also just check the gun while pointing in a safe area.

Last edited:

mjblazor

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 28, 2011
    I would not try loading this gun and turning the safety on/decocking without a proper area/device to catch bullets if it fires per what I mentioned above. Preferably have a smith check it out first just to be sure. The slide racking part is definitely true for .380. Mine fails to battery on target ammo regularly. Guns do wear down. And the drum of the safety lever can crack on you. It's been reported I believe on the same forum. Please be careful.

I intend to do as you commented. Thanks.

mjblazor

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 28, 2011
    Can't speculate what happened, but I have dummy rounds for ever caliber of gun I own that I can run through after any changes or cleaning to ensure good working order of the gun and safety. I think a trip to a gun smith is in your near future and is a must after any mishap along with avoiding them in the future.

Yes, good point! I was actually thinking of that this morning and plan to get some dummies for that reason.

mjblazor

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 28, 2011
    I am trying to figure out #1 what carts in firearms are. They are round or cartridges...
    #2 how you think 2 "carts" could be in the chamber at the same
    time without being noticed unless they were the wrong caliber.
    #3 how in the world 3 rounds went off at the exact same time in
    the same firearm. Without it being on fire thereby "cooking off"
    rounds.
    #4 IF the rounds did indeed go off at exactly the same time how
    did the pistol NOT get destroyed?
    There is more to this story there is too much "hinky" stuff here.

Archer, my bad on "carts" - yes short for cartridges (rounds). as far as 3 rnds simultaneously all I can say is it fired off a round (or 2, or 3 - sounded and felt like one). When the dust cleared (meaning my wife's hellstorm) I sat down to try to figure out what happened. I looked down and saw 2 more spent casings and couldn't believe it. I then found 2 more holes in wall just to the left of me in side wall of basement. Thank god no one was down there with me. There has been alot of good advice that has been posted to explain what likely happened.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    I'm surprised you shot your basement wall. Most people shoot their refrigerators...
    wink.gif

The German PPK/S doesn't have the recall problems like the S&W. It sounds like you're describing a common loading problem with the .380 PPK/S. These guns have a very strong recoil spring and tend to short cycle if you rack the slide by hand. If you rack it again you'll get two rounds jammed in the breech area. Plus the gun is designed to eject empty casings. Loaded rounds don't always clear the ejection port because the slide is moving too slowly.
    Here's how to safely load your Walther PPK/S: 1) Put the safety ON. 2) Lock the slide back using an empty magazine. 3) Load one round in the magazine and lock it into the mag well. 4) Pull the slide back fully and let it go. 5) Remove the empty mag and put in a full one. 6) With your finger off the trigger take the safety OFF and put it ON again to move the trigger forward. Then holster and carry.
    I have no idea how your PPK/S could fire with the safety ON. The safety drum blocks the hammer and locks the firing pin in place.
    My suggestion it to have it checked out and then take it to the range. If it's working OK after 200 rounds of target ball ammo try some JHP. Gold Dot usually works. Please let me know how things are going when you're back from the range.
    Here's a photo of my 1972 German PPK/S...#156349...
    smile.gif

http://www.fototime.com/834D0CD27C8C179/standard.jpg
    Bob T.

I am going to check this for confirmation but this is good explaination although still does not sound safe to me. Anybody else have comments as to the above??? Also, his pic looks just like mine (although) not sure if it will open in this forum?
    I would not fire the gun again until it has been checked out by a competent gunsmith - Period. From what he has described the fire control group is broken. I am quite sure the gun 1) slam fire, then 2) went into full auto mode (disconnector did not engage) and slam fired 2 more times. (possibly firing is pin stuck out). I have several years of working on guns, but I doubt I would take this on without help. I would contact S&W - I'd bet they would want to fix the weapon - just to keep their name good and avoid any possible liability.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Please look into a proper backstop when admin handling or clearing your weapons.

All firearms can go bang without your finger on the trigger. Sorry you had to learn this way!

Exactly. I can't imagine taking a new to me gun for sure (or as you recommend, any gun) and chambering a round in my house without something such as this.

Make sure the wife understands it is defective equipment. IMO.

Defective gun is a small part of this problem, and as others stated, probably would not make her feel any better and worse it reinforces the idea that guns can just up and kill people without some added negligence/carelessness.

If you can get the slide to go into battery with 2 rounds in the barrel, you've got some serious issues.

Definitely. Sounds like the gun went full auto.

NO I AM ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN!!! It did not run away on me. It was ONE ONLY. I have shot a Walther PPK/S before (my Dad has one). I know how they can fire quickly after first hard pull. That absolutely did not happen. I did not have finger on trigger.

If the gun has an issue and the hammer is following, etc then it could happen without the finger on the trigger.

Oh Honey, no worries now you can stop being mad at me....the gun is defective. Whew, don't you feel better now....it wasn't my fault. Let's go get you a new pair of shoes and we'll forget all about it. I'll patch the holes next weekend. :rolleyes:

My thoughts exactly. Blaming the hardware 100% doesn't recognize the software problem in this situation.

My vote is you slam-fired a 3 round burst. That could very easily sound like 1 big explosion in an enclosed space.
    I'd agree with this. It would be a wonder to be able to hear at all after an unexpected 3 round burst in a basement, let alone hear and discern each individual shot while it is happening.

In any case, definitely take the gun to a reputable smith or better yet, call S&W. When you get it back, I'd suggest following Kirk's recommendation, or not loading it with live ammo until you get to a range other area where you can shoot it.

Top Bottom