• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 21, 2009
    In a fog
    I just had an encounter that had my heart rate way up.
    The house next to me has been vacant for a while. It's a rental and the previous tenant left it. Two work vans come to my house and tell me I need to get out because they have work orders to do repairs and I am tresspassing.
    I CALMY tell them they have the wrong address and the house they are looking for is next door.
    The worker insists this is the house and I am tresspassing and need to leave. I repeated that he had the wrong address and he should call his employer and verify the address.
    The idiot says fine, he tell his partner to call but reaches for my screen door to open it. Yes, it was locked.
    Luckily, I had my range bag and rifle behind me, as I had it out to go to the range today.
    I reach for the rifle and point it at him (I am in my living room) and tell him to back off as I am calling the police as he is to be calling his office.
    They can't reach anyone in the office but the LEO shows up. The guy is upset that I pointed the rifle at him.
    Bottom line, LEO tells them they are wrong, and that I was in my right to protect myself in my own home.
    They are working next door.

ISHOOTHST'S

Master
    Rating - 93.3%
    14   1   0
    Nov 14, 2009
    Iyaf
    Good work on standing firm. This could of been one of those just try and get the homeowner to open the door so that they caan rob/attack you.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 21, 2009
    In a fog
    Thank you. That's what I thought and that's what I told the LEO. He understood completely. Thank goodness.
    It would have been no big deal had that guy not tried to open the door.

drgnrobo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    ft. wayne
    The workers were way in the wrong & you had every right to take a stand to defend your home .They should have waited for a confirmation on the address & then trying to open the locked door (even a screen door ) could be viewed as forcible entry.Glad the outcome was positive on your side.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    :yesway:

Good job protecting your home! More people need to be vigilant and prepared to protect themselves.

Redskinsfan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    :yesway:
    The guy attempted forced entry into your home. Your actions were justified just as the Police Officer told you. The man who attempted to enter your home has much to learn, but he is one lesson closer thanks to you.

Don't worry, you didn't do anything wrong. What you did was right.

I understand being shaken, it is the adrenaline aftermath and it can be considerable.

Best regards,

Terry

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Somewhere on the interwebz on a plumbing forum. . . . .

Check your addresses!

You'll never guess what happend to me today! My dispatcher gave me the wrong address on a job, so I told the lady she needed to pack her stuff and go! She refused, and then pulled a gun on me! A BIG gun! She also called the cops on me and he said that I was lucky to be alive!

I'll be sure to triple check my addresses from now on!

:D

Good on ya for keeping calm and collected. Cool heads always prevail!

Serial Crusher

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Northwest Indiana
    Wow, that worker is dense.... I don't know any squatters, but I imagine they're pretty easy to spot.

Seriously, what did he think the next step was after opening that door? A physical confrontation? He has no idea who could be in that house.....

Any worker, delivery person or pretty much anyone else should have a very healthy fear of things like this. It's unusual that he was stupid enough or brave enough to do something like this. The FedEx guy in my neighborhood won't even get out of the van because of the slavering beast of a dachshund I have :D

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    Excellent handling of the situation, OP! One suggestion, take the time to get the tag numbers on the work trucks and the contact info for the renovation company. I might wait to call the company until those clowns finish their project and move on out of your neighborhood, but I would call them and complain to the owner. This could have ended tragically for all involved. As someone said, if the screen door hadn't been locked...

Gpfury86

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2010
    Somewhere on the interwebz on a plumbing forum. . . . .

Check your addresses!

You'll never guess what happend to me today! My dispatcher gave me the wrong address on a job, so I told the lady she needed to pack her stuff and go! She refused, and then pulled a gun on me! A BIG gun! She also called the cops on me and he said that I was lucky to be alive!

I'll be sure to triple check my addresses from now on!

:D

Good on ya for keeping calm and collected. Cool heads always prevail!

:lol2: :rofl: Made me chuckle....

What company was this? Or were the vans unmarked.

I go to peoples homes everyday and do service work and have never run into this situation, but If someone says u are at the wrong address double check, just don't assume the people are supposed to be evicted. Guy is lucky he didn't bust in the door like was said. If people don't welcome u into their home then u aren't welcome to enter on your own will, pretty well common sense, sounds like he was lacking in that area.

Woodsman

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New albany
    I'm very glad this turned out to be a legitimate, but misdirected event for you. One of the easiest ways to gain ease with a total stranger is to appear official and have a piece of paper to wave around. It's almost like having instant credibility.

Congrats for not choking on the adrenaline dump also. They do take a while to burn off don't they?

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jojo99
    Top Bottom