SC officer charged with murder in man's death. Video catches him plant evidence.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I will wait and see, but I doubt any jail time will be served.

I sincerely hope you are wrong. I don't see any way to come close to justifying what that officer did. If he walks the citizens would have good reason to tear that place apart.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    What is your reasoning for thinking that? I think I agree

No real reason other than recent history. I've seen this too many times to continue falling for it. It looks very clear right now, but we've not seen his Facebook page, criminal history, or anything else the media and other contributors will provide to the public. I know it sounds cynical and that is not my intent, but I've seen us argue and get divided over this kind of situation and it usually turns out the same way. If he goes to jail, I will be surprised; not pleasantly surprised, but just surprised.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I sincerely hope you are wrong. I don't see any way to come close to justifying what that officer did. If he walks the citizens would have good reason to tear that place apart.

There is NEVER a reason to do that. The result would be more dead people. I know you don't really mean that, though. :yesway:

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I feel like the mobs need to see some jail time... or the unrest is going to hit a peak. In their minds, these officers are getting away with something. In most cases we know they were legit and doing their jobs... but this one looks really dirty. If this guy gets off scot-free, that's not going to be great for "race relations"

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    There is NEVER a reason to do that. The result would be more dead people. I know you don't really mean that, though. :yesway:

I see a big difference in this case and others in recent history. I don't want to see anyone else killed over this but I sure wouldn't blame people for protesting if justice is not served.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    No real reason other than recent history. I've seen this too many times to continue falling for it. It looks very clear right now, but we've not seen his Facebook page, criminal history, or anything else the media and other contributors will provide to the public.

That will likely sway some in the court of public opinion. I doubt it does much in a court of law.

Of course, in Indy we just had what most of us would consider murder taken down to the point the offender was sentenced to house arrest, so WTF knows.

Plea agreement reached in dog argument killing - TheIndyChannel.com

Not a cop or celebrity, so no real attention or outcry from anyone.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I see a big difference in this case and others in recent history. I don't want to see anyone else killed over this but I sure wouldn't blame people for protesting if justice is not served.

I really don't see a difference, but we shall see what happens.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    The others were self-defense situations. This one wasn't. How do you view them?

Well, I'm not sure if it will not turn out to be self defense. Some of the others didn't start out as self defense. The video doesn't show everything, so we'll have to wait and see what the officer has to say.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Well, I'm not sure if it will not turn out to be self defense. Some of the others didn't start out as self defense. The video doesn't show everything, so we'll have to wait and see what the officer has to say.

Well, he was charged with murder so whatever he's said so far wasn't enough to sway the prosecutor. Courtrooms are indeed strange and magical lands where anything can happen, but that goes for everyone.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Right or wrong, like it or not, the law allows the use of deadly force to prevent the escape of a suspect if the officer believes the escape of that person poses a significant threat to public safety. That was not the case in this situation, this man was stopped for a traffic infraction and fled on foot. It was not self defense if the man is running away and traffic infractions do not rise to the required level of deadly force, not by a long shot.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Compare what we know now (still, very little) to the initial accounting of the story before the video was released.

Man shot and killed by North Charleston police officer after traffic stop; SLED investigating - Post and Courier

Seems to match up pretty well. Guy fled on foot. Guy struggled over Taser. If the Taser was on the ground as it appears, that would seem to potentially corroborate that part. The officer shoots the guy. It seems like the big difference, and what takes this from a good shoot to a really bad shoot, is the "Police allege that during the struggle the man gained control of the Taser and attempted to use it against the officer." If you disarm an officer, at least in Indiana, of a weapon that's a felony and we know what the rules are on forcible felonies. If he attempted to shoot the officer with the Taser, real easy argument that when you could be rendered helpless by the Taser, disarmed further, or killed. I can even see if the officer didn't know where the Taser was after some altercation and there was some reasonable belief the suspect was trying to Tase him. None of that seems to be present here. Bad shoot. I hate it for all parties. Sometimes one persons bad decision costs everyone involved, including themselves.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Even in the unlikely event that there was something that occurred off camera that could somehow justify the shooting (as someone else mentioned, it's true that shooting fleeing suspects is still legally justifiable if the suspect poses an imminent threat), planting a weapon pretty well would turn it the other way around.
    I just hope that justice is served.
    It serves police departments there and nationwide very poorly if such gross misconduct goes insufficiently punished, just as much so as the communities they serve.

Top Bottom