Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    Friends of South Carolina!

Dear Friends,

The
    Viers amendment to H. 3292 is a compromise we can’t accept.

Act now! The Judiciary Committee meets Tuesday, March 1st at 2:30 pm to accept this amendment. WE MUST STOP IT NOW!

H. 3292 was a comprehensive expansion of South Carolina’s recognition of our right to carry a weapon in self defense.

Now, with the Viers amendment, it will trade away gun rights already recognized in South Carolina.

We must not compromise! We cannot give up rights already recognized, even though the bill expands other rights not already recognized.

That is exactly what the Viers amendment does to H.3292.

It makes what was a comprehensive expansion of gun rights in South Carolina into a compromise of gun rights already recognized in South Carolina.

The Viers amendment makes us more like New Jersey, making it difficult, if not impossible, for someone from out of state to travel through South Carolina with a weapon for self defense.

Even worse… it also will allow local governments to impose local gun bans in opposition to state law.

This is unacceptable!

You can read a detailed analysis of the Viers amendment here.

Join with GrassRoots GunRights (GRGR) and me and oppose this amendment!

We must have the GRGR amendment! You can read the original analysis of the bill and why we need the GRGR amendment here.

We need you to do three things to prevent this compromise!

1. If your Representative is a member of the House Judiciary Committee (list is below), contact him or her and tell them: (1) Send H.3292 back to subcommittee and listen to GrassRoots GunRights’ advice; (2) We will not accept compromise of gun rights already recognized in South Carolina; (3) We don’t want the Viers amendment; (4) We want the GRGR amendment!

Contact the Judiciary Committeeat (803) 734-3120 and tell the secretary the same thing. THIS IS IMPORTANT! This will focus all of our efforts at one target! Make sure you do this!

Contact Thad Viers at tviers@yahoo.com or 803-734-3064 and tell him the same thing. We need to make sure he never offers a compromise amendment again! Make sure you contact Thad Viers and let him know how you feel. Be polite, but be firm!

You can find your Representative and his or her contact information by following this link and giving your address.

South Carolina Legislature Online

They all will likely tell you the NRA supports the Viers amendment. This time, like many times before, the NRA is wrong!

You can read the GRGR analysis of the Viers amendment here. The analysis is right on target as always.

The analysis demonstrates that this amendment will trade away gun rights already recognized here in South Carolina. Even though the bill will expand recognition of some rights, we cannot trade away rights that are already recognized.

This is unacceptable!

We should never trade away rights that the government already recognizes in order for them to recognize other rights.

If the committee will not consider the GRGR amendment, then this bill should be killed!

It cannot be allowed to pass with the Viers amendment!

Don’t forget to contact Thad Viers, and tell him the NRA doesn’t speak for us!

Thad Viers
    tviers@yahoo.com
    803-734-3064

Help him understand that we don’t accept compromise that gives away gun rights that the government already recognizes.

So contact your Representative if in the House Judiciary Committee, contact the committee secretary, and contact Thad Viers. Tell each of them the things listed above! It is important that they know the NRA doesn’t speak for us! We want the GrassRoots GunRights amendment!

You can find your Representative and his or her contact information by following this link and giving your address.

South Carolina Legislature Online

Thanks for all you do!

Talbert Black Jr.
    Interim State Coordinator
    Campaign for Liberty

Members of the House Judiciary Committee:

James Harrison

JimHarrison@schouse.gov
    803-734-3120

James Smith
    JamesSmith@schouse.gov
    803-734-2997

George Hearn
    GeorgeHearn@schouse.gov
    803-212-6796

Karl Allen
    KarlAllen@schouse.gov
    803-734-3006

Bruce Bannister
    BruceBannister@schouse.gov
    803-734-3009

Boyd Brown
    BoydBrown@schouse.gov
    803-212-6789

Alan Clemmons
    Clemmons1@aol.com
    803-734-2994

Derham Cole
    DerhamCole@schouse.gov
    803-212-6790

Greg Delleney
    GregDelleney@schouse.gov
    803-734-3074

Laurie Slade Funderburk
    LaurieFunderburk@schouse.gov
    803-734-3044

Daniel Hamilton
    DanHamilton@schouse.gov
    803-212-6795

Jenny Horne
    JennyHorne@schouse.gov
    803-212-6871

Peter McCoy
    PeterMcCoy@schouse.gov
    803-212-6872

Walt McLeod
    WaltMcLeod@schouse.gov
    803-734-3276

Wendy Nanney
    WendyNanney@schouse.gov
    803-212-6877

Todd Rutherford
    ToddRutherford@schouse.gov
    803-734-9441

Bakari Sellers
    BakariSellers@schouse.gov
    803-734-3003

Garry Smith
    GarrySmith@schouse.gov
    803-734-3141

Mike Sottile
    MikeSottile@schouse.gov
    803-212-6880

Leon Stavrinakis
    leonStavrinakis@schouse.gov
    803-734-3039

Eddie Tallon
    EddieTallon@schouse.gov
    803-212-6893

Thad Viers
    tviers@yahoo.com
    803-734-3064

David Weeks
    DavidWeeks@schouse.gov
    803-734-3102

Seth Whipper
    SethWhipper@schouse.gov
    803-734-3191

Tom Young
    TomYoung@schouse.gov
    803-212-6884

WabashMX5

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2009
    Brownsburg
    We vacationed in Myrtle Beach last summer. Darn shame they don't honor other States' licenses -- it was quite a hassle to take a 12-gauge with us instead. :D

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    thank's for the update most of my in-laws live there.

Threadjacking: does SC offer permits to non state residents?

I've looked into it, and so far as I know, you have to own real estate in SC to obtain a permit. What I don't know is how broad of a definition that is. I'm planning to write them to see if my ownership of a timeshare fills that requirement.

I have a deed indicating that I do in fact own a week's share of a unit in a timeshare complex...so I think that is real estate, but not sure.

Top Bottom