• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • plumber43

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    all i can say for this guy .... he was askin for it lol....he should have known better and if not well theyre gonna teach him da rulz

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    Not exactly, if you are in possession of a machine gun and you refuse to show your stamp to a local or state LEO then he would have enough probable cause to make an arrest for a Class C Felony under IC 35-47-5-8, if you were shooting the machine gun at the time then it is a B Felony under 35-47-5-9.

If it is a SBR or AOW and you refuse to show your stamp the LEO would have enough reasonable suspicion to detain you until ATF arrives to sort things out. Larger departments like IMPD have officers detailed full time to ATF. They have both State and Federal arrest powers.

This!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

kycrawler

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Crawfordsville
    Machineguns and suppressors and sbr's are not illegal . How would the officer have probable cause for an arrest ? Burden of proof lies on them . Detention untill a federal atf or irs agent arrives yes i could see that . I was told by nfa branch that your not required to show the doc's to anyone other than atf or irs agents . If asked I would show local leo's as a measure of faith . In 8 years of shooting i have been asked to show once by a sheriffs deputy when i was shooting a 1919 at my farm in kentucky . He was a nice enough guy we shot the bull for a while he ran a belt through and I never had any problems after that .

curraheeguns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    NW Hendricks County
    Machineguns and suppressors and sbr's are not illegal . How would the officer have probable cause for an arrest ? Burden of proof lies on them . Detention untill a federal atf or irs agent arrives yes i could see that . I was told by nfa branch that your not required to show the doc's to anyone other than atf or irs agents . If asked I would show local leo's as a measure of faith . In 8 years of shooting i have been asked to show once by a sheriffs deputy when i was shooting a 1919 at my farm in kentucky . He was a nice enough guy we shot the bull for a while he ran a belt through and I never had any problems after that .

Because in Indiana the state code (law) specifically states that possession of a machinegun is a C Felony and Shooting a Machinegun is a B Felony unless that gun is legal under federal law. If you are not willing to show that it is legal under that federal law then the officer is required to make an arrest for what he believes is a felony being committed in his presence.

You are correct that the burden of proof is on the officer, but that burden is his responsibilty in the trial, not on the street. Which means you are in the pokey until he and the prosecutors office is asked to come up with that proof.

AFAIK Indiana does not specifically mention SBR's and AOW's. However, SBS's are illegal period with the exception of a LEA owning it and then issuing it to individual LEO's.

Last edited:

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    Lots of "dumbass" comments being thrown around on this forum. I ask you guys to remember that some of these laws make such little sense that you can't even know what you don't know. For instance, I was going to put a foregrip on a ar pistol. Never occurred to me that this was an offense. Why would it? It's not intuitive? If someone who knew didn't tell me, I could have been a "dumbass."

Let's face it, does the fact that you can own an ar pistol and walk around free, but if you put a stock on it you're a felon make ANY sense at all? You can't know what you don't know, and if you don't know, sometimes you don't even know you should ask.

Let me be on that jury. Hung, hung, hung.

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Lots of "dumbass" comments being thrown around on this forum. I ask you guys to remember that some of these laws make such little sense that you can't even know what you don't know. For instance, I was going to put a foregrip on a ar pistol. Never occurred to me that this was an offense. Why would it? It's not intuitive? If someone who knew didn't tell me, I could have been a "dumbass."

Let's face it, does the fact that you can own an ar pistol and walk around free, but if you put a stock on it you're a felon make ANY sense at all? You can't know what you don't know, and if you don't know, sometimes you don't even know you should ask.

Let me be on that jury. Hung, hung, hung.

Very well put.

With over 10,000 firearms laws in the US, EVERY SINGLE GUN OWNER IS A DUMBASS by the standards of some posting here. No way anyone knows all 10,000+.

You make a great example with the foregrip on the AR pistol. Very, very few people would even think it was illegal even though it's contained in a widely known code.

I said it a couple months ago and I'll say it again, 3 inches (or a foregrip) doesn't negate your Right to keep and bear arms. I'm not going to purposefully violate the law but if I was on a jury, I'd vote not guilty without a second thought.

The USSC has ruled time and again on a basic tenet of our Rights: that a "Right restricted is a Right denied" (most famously on Poll taxes). Even if the USSC hadn't, it's not like it would matter...

Our Rights come from our Creator, not a handful of idiots in black robes.

M4_556

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    I have to say I feel some sympathy for this guy. I once had a large dealer at the 1500 sell me a 14.5" AR upper tagged as a 16." Luckily I have a stamp so no big deal, but to the other 99% of potential buyers as unobservant as me they would be in this guys' shoes.

caguasjade19

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2009
    Central indiana
    Furthermore:
    Getting rifle $700.00......Do some illegal modifications $200.00..... Getting gasoline,a beerand a ticket to the gun show $30.00......Sitting in the back of a police cruiser wondering what happen........ Priceless

Top Bottom