• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tsigos

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2012
    This isn't difficult to solve.

Stop using IE (which barely qualifies as a browser) and stop using Chrome if you have privacy concerns, Google doesn't give a damn about your privacy.

Use Firefox, given it's open source nature any malicious code would be spotted quickly. Use Firefox with Ad Block Pro and Ghostery to ignore cookies and ads. If you're super paranoid, use NoScript.

For searches, use DuckDuckGo for privacy. https://duckduckgo.com

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Google OSI Model - specifically read up on layers 1 through 3. HTTP has absolutely nothing to do with it. Your question is nonsense.
    What are you are talking about? As stated below, your MAC address is only visible on your local subnet. They can track you by your IP address on the Internet, but not by MAC.

Unless of course you think the .gov has access to traffic logs of every router connected to the Internet.:tinfoil:

HeadlessRoland

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2011
    In the dark
    Unless of course you think the .gov has access to traffic logs of every router connected to the Internet.:tinfoil:

Are you claiming that doing so is beyond the reach of the NSA?

This is the same agency that does BIOS-level remote malware installs, has a catalog of malicious hardware they can use for targeting, including fake GSM towers to pull cell data, can retrieve data from offline computer systems via radar/wireless, sweeps all e-mail/SMS/call log metadata, and routinely puts satellites with unknown capabilities into orbit. Their new motto for the last mission was "Nothing is beyond our reach". They've either backdoored or completely defeated most encryption algorithms, including a severe weakness in double-elliptical curve that THEY paid RSA Security to weaken SecurID two-factor authentication tokens. They've spent millions upon millions to try to create a useful quantum computer which will render all forms of non-quantum cryptography pointlessly easy to decrypt. These are not the sort of people I would underestimate.

So, I would call the suggestion that NSA also has access to MAC addresses to be a little farfetched, but not really tin-hat. Not anymore.

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    What are you are talking about? As stated below, your MAC address is only visible on your local subnet. They can track you by your IP address on the Internet, but not by MAC.

According to snowden, NSA has installed a backdoor in many computer components such as hard drives, routers, switches, etc.

MiNDRiVE

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    Indianapolis

Ok lets talk about the OSI model again. DOCSIS (cable modems) are basically layer 2 devices. Your cable internet at home is layer 2 up to the CMTS (cable modem termination system) This is the mac address that the ISP can see. Now lets say your in a Starbucks using the wifi. That wifi endpoint can see every mac that's connected to it but it doens't pass that mac along to its next hop which would be the cable modem, dsl modem etc whatever. These crappy consumer wifi endpoints do have logging features. It would be entirely possible if enough effort was put into it to track down a user at a starbucks on a specific ip/mac. but anything in realtime would be theoretically impossible due to the number of router's your internet traffic hops through. And saying that a mac address is only visible on a subnet is not accurate. A subnet exists on layer 3 and does not care about layer 2 traffic. To further complicate things there are mac addresses in layer 3 protocols. but those mac addresses are from the device that forwarded the packet. Trying to simplfy this as much as possible and hope I cleared a few things up.

Ex Network Engineer CCNP

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Ok lets talk about the OSI model again. DOCSIS (cable modems) are basically layer 2 devices. Your cable internet at home is layer 2 up to the CMTS (cable modem termination system) This is the mac address that the ISP can see. Now lets say your in a Starbucks using the wifi. That wifi endpoint can see every mac that's connected to it but it doens't pass that mac along to its next hop which would be the cable modem, dsl modem etc whatever. These crappy consumer wifi endpoints do have logging features. It would be entirely possible if enough effort was put into it to track down a user at a starbucks on a specific ip/mac. but anything in realtime would be theoretically impossible due to the number of router's your internet traffic hops through. And saying that a mac address is only visible on a subnet is not accurate. A subnet exists on layer 3 and does not care about layer 2 traffic. To further complicate things there are mac addresses in layer 3 protocols. but those mac addresses are from the device that forwarded the packet. Trying to simplfy this as much as possible and hope I cleared a few things up.

Ex Network Engineer CCNP
    You are just going to confuse people. No one said there were no MAC addresses included in an IP packet. I said that the user's MAC address was not visible beyond their local subnet. It is right their in my quote.

Is it possible to track people down from their traffic on a network? Very much so, and it can easily be done in real time actually.

Whether they are able to actually find YOUR device depends entirely on the network you are connected to and whether the person looking has access to the device that connects the users to the Internet.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    It is scary how easy it is to get information about you on the Internet.
    Obama308554.jpg

ryan3030

Master
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    Indy
    Google OSI Model - specifically read up on layers 1 through 3. HTTP has absolutely nothing to do with it. Your question is nonsense.

I'm familiar with the OSI model and the basics of TCP/IP tranmission. No one past your ISP has any knowledge of your MAC address on any outbound requests.

My question is not nonsense because you specifically referenced the internet, which, in this context, is 99% HTTP usage.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Less government regulation, more free market. Sounds like exactly what INGO usually claims they want.
    There is NO free market where internet access is concerned. Just little fiefdoms and government sponsored monopolies. While I'm not in favour of government regulations this is one that I am torn on.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    There is NO free market where internet access is concerned. Just little fiefdoms and government sponsored monopolies. While I'm not in favour of government regulations this is one that I am torn on.

Really? I can get Internet from:

Via landline/cable:

Comcast
    AT&T
    Brighthouse Networks

Via wireless/satellite uplink:
    Hughes Net
    EarthLink
    Every cell phone provider in the market (except Jitterbug, I suppose).

Tough to claim monopoly when there's at least a dozen choices spread over multiple medias (telephone, cable, wireless telephone, satellite uplink).

Top Bottom