Saw a weird breakage at the range today.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    A friend of mine has an Armalite AR in 7.62x39. One of the locking lug "teeth" sheared off of the bolt. I wish I had my camera. Could steel cased ammo be the culprit?

nick89302

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 28, 2012
    Northern Indiana
    Not likely. The bolt in the AR is a notorious weak link.

I'm not a Colt fan boy, but this is one particular reason, you'll see people tout them as the pinnacle of off-the-shelf reliability. Their bolts have the following:

• HPT Bolt (High Pressure Test/ Proof)
    • MPI Bolt (Magnetic Particle Inspected)
    I'm not sure that anyone, in particular Armalite, MPT/HPT tests their 7.62x39 bolts. I will say that I have owned an Armalite AR in the past and it was a good gun with excellent fit and finish.

Mike.B

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2012
    Grant County
    Had this happen to me years ago during BRM. To that weapons credit it was a TRADOC rifle, it had probably seen hundreds of shooters and many many thousands of rounds. Freaked me out and stunned our RSO.

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    I don't see the big deal, one lug broke. Change the bolt face and go back to shooting.
    Just thought it was odd for something like that to break off after only a few thousand rounds. I would think the extractor would have broken first. Metal looked cheap too, like when you crack a Matchbox car in half.(Don't tell me you guys never blew up a matchbox car with M80s :D)

Something tells me I'm gonna be the one that has to put it together for him. :rolleyes:

indyk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Cumberland
    newest problem with my dads ar in x39

Here's a pic of the same situation on a Double Star set up in x39 this happened to my dad last month, His rifle is one expensive P.O.S! I sure hope he gets to fire at least 5 consecutive rounds before he reallllly freaks out on it...:rolleyes:

He's since added MGI kit and is having more ftf's etc than ever before, going out to the range when he brings that rifle is guaranteed to be a stressful range trip.

IMAG0364.jpg

Top Bottom