Saw a gang fight near my house yesterday in S. Hammond!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • agentl074

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2008
    Actually, if an officer would not give their life to save mine (being the citizen civilian that I am), then they should not be an officer. Otherwise hell, why did all those leos and firefighters die in 911. They should have just watched their own back?

That is where the individual morals and principles of the officer come in. ...just saying what was beat into our heads is all :faint:

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Unfortunately ... yes.

It sucks but citizens (civilian sounds degrading) should not be reliant on LEO's to always help them. They will watch their back and the back of their force counterparts before a citizen. That's why we (citizens) gotta watch our own back and the backs of other citizens. We were stressed time and time again both as military and civilian law enforcement that officer safety is paramount. Paramount is defined as supreme.

I never put my safety above that of those I was protecting. Reckon some folks learned different things, and bring different attitudes to the job.

agentl074

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2008
    I never put my safety above that of those I was protecting. Reckon some folks learned different things, and bring different attitudes to the job.

Those are the good principles to have :thumbsup: While officer safety may be paramount - it may only be paramount in situations dealing with only the suspect(s). I don't believe it has anything to do with risking ones life in a rescue - that is different.

officer safety would be paramount in a situation of which the officer is dealing with only the subjects.

I hope that cleared up my interpretation a bit :)

Last edited:

finity

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Auburn
    Those are the good principles to have :thumbsup: While officer safety may be paramount - it may only be paramount in situations dealing with only the suspect(s). I don't believe it has anything to do with risking ones life in a rescue - that is different.

officer safety would be paramount in a situation of which the officer is dealing with only the subjects.

I hope that cleared up my interpretation a bit :)

I guess the only problem I have WRT that is they are only suspects not criminals. You as LEO don't have the power to determine that they are criminals & treat them as such. You have no more power to use deadly force than any other person.

IMO, the tie should go to the suspect, not the LEO. You volunteered & get paid to do the job. If you don't like the odds, quit. The suspect who is truly innocent doesn't have that option (which contrary to popular myth does happen more than occasionally).

I remember a report about a guy several years ago in NY who was killed by police. He didn't understand english (Haitian, I think) & when the police approached him due to a case of mistaken identity he didn't understand their orders. He pulled a cell phone or wallet out of his pocket for some reason & the cops "thought" it was a gun. He wasn't acting threatening prior to that. After a hail of gun fire from the several cops on the scene - one innocent dead guy. Left behind his own family, too. Was his life worth less than the cops who killed him? He didn't have a choice.

If the same thing happened to a non-LEO they would find themselves doing a long time in prison.

Protect & serve. Nowhere does it say you're guaranteed to go home safe every night. Those are the chances you take when you volunteered.

agentl074

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2008
    I guess the only problem I have WRT that is they are only suspects not criminals. You as LEO don't have the power to determine that they are criminals & treat them as such. You have no more power to use deadly force than any other person.

IMO, the tie should go to the suspect, not the LEO. You volunteered & get paid to do the job. If you don't like the odds, quit. The suspect who is truly innocent doesn't have that option (which contrary to popular myth does happen more than occasionally).

I remember a report about a guy several years ago in NY who was killed by police. He didn't understand English (Haitian, I think) & when the police approached him due to a case of mistaken identity he didn't understand their orders. He pulled a cell phone or wallet out of his pocket for some reason & the cops "thought" it was a gun. He wasn't acting threatening prior to that. After a hail of gun fire from the several cops on the scene - one innocent dead guy. Left behind his own family, too. Was his life worth less than the cops who killed him? He didn't have a choice.

If the same thing happened to a non-LEO they would find themselves doing a long time in prison.

Protect & serve. Nowhere does it say you're guaranteed to go home safe every night. Those are the chances you take when you volunteered.

I respect your opinion however, I disagree. We have seen too many poor tactical choices made which got officers killed. There are also several cases where citizens have assisted officers, saved their lives and got awarded :patriot: I don't care if the suspect is a suspect ... if he is getting actively resistant - its game on.

Now, I don't do LE work anymore. I am a full time student and hoping to move on to administration. I just don't like the beat level - military LE was cool but boring and civilian LE has its good days but all in all ... just not worth it to me.

Now about more gang fights - this is crazy and its probably only going to get worse... they are just tearing up their neighborhoods.

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    Saw a gang fight near my house yesterday in S. Mogadishu

There, I fixed the title for you.

No doubt. My "long rides" on the bike (motorcycle) often happen at night and I just get out and cruise/prowl around. When I lived in St Louis, these rides sometimes took me over the river into East St Louis.

eaststlouis1_il.jpg

rafterman191

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 26, 2008
    Terre Haute
    My "hood" is just that as well. Only all my neighbors know that this house is cram packed with guns lol. One little boy was chasing after a basketball ( go figure, they learn very young) and it went into my yard, and my buddy and i was standing outside and the kid yells. " ay man could you get my ball" haha well upon giving it to him he states.
    " my dad said dont bother you or your friends, cause you guys carry guns" lol.
    The neighborhood knowing that i have guns is good and bad i guess. Dont want anyone getting any dumbass ideas. But also them knowing you would think that no ideas would cross their mind lol.

Almost everyone in Indiana plays basketball from a young age. Why don't you check the racist comments at the door.

Top Bottom