Saw a gang fight near my house yesterday in S. Hammond!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    South Eastern and 173rd Street. By the YMCA and Bike path. Around 4pm.

From three directions 3 groups of about a dozen people each, ranging in age from early teens to probably early 20's decended. All african American and all from my untrained eyes seemed to be displaying gang colors and up/down pant legs.

Ppl from each group had guys on cell phones (I can only guess calling for back up, not the police). When they met at the intersection the dance began. Shortly there after a cop cam thru the intersection and just as he went passed noticed what was going on. Stopped and threw on the lights.

About half to 2/3 take off in all directions and the lone cop gets out and starts moving twoard one guy/group. Then the wildest thing I've ever seen happen, happened...

The entire group that took off... CAME BACK... RUNNING! I thought for sure they meant to steal the cop car or jump the cop. I started to dial 9-1-1 because I just knew the cop was f**ked. Anyway, I lost sight and heard him scream and seconds later their are sirens and cars everywhere. No need to push send on the phone, they knew. Also I could see him basically spinning and keeping them back pointing and yelling. Honestly not much I could have done and he seemed to holding his own. He was in the middle of dozens of them and I was 150 yards away, I really felt for him.

I didn't see anyone arrested and I didn't really hang out, but it was wild. One 'kid' about 16-18 ran off threw his red sweat shirt in the bushes and ran back... either ditching gang colors or trying to conceal who he was for something else. By the peak there were a bunch of mothers and sisters gathering at the scene. It was all over in 15 minutes from the first meeting to all but a couple of the cops departing.

Anyway, this reaffirms my reasoning in carrying a full size handgun with 16+1 rounds (XD9). It also marks a new distrubing trend in my neighborhood. First it's WAY too early for this kind of crap, we are in for a LONG summer and number two this area has gone to hell in the 7 years I've lived here.

We need to move.

45calibre

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    NWI
    thats crazy. back when i was at hammond high they used to mob up with like 50-75 african american people literally!.

spartan933

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2008
    Porter County
    So that's what all the siren were. I live across from Purdue and could hear a lot going on. Wtf? The sad part of Hammond is that if you look at the actual buildings and houses, they are beautiful. They just need to be kept up or refurbished. But, yeah, I carry my 1911 or my Glock with me at all times for the very reason of driving through gangland everyday.

gdun67

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Dec 15, 2008
    Indiana
    My "hood" is just that as well. Only all my neighbors know that this house is cram packed with guns lol. One little boy was chasing after a basketball ( go figure, they learn very young) and it went into my yard, and my buddy and i was standing outside and the kid yells. " ay man could you get my ball" haha well upon giving it to him he states.
    " my dad said dont bother you or your friends, cause you guys carry guns" lol.
    The neighborhood knowing that i have guns is good and bad i guess. Dont want anyone getting any dumbass ideas. But also them knowing you would think that no ideas would cross their mind lol.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008

Wow! Glad the cop came out of it ok. Hopefully there were plenty of arrests, maybe someone got it on video.

A few thoughts:

1. 16+1 is great. 30+30+30 is better.
    2. Not sure what help you can give at 150 yards, but a few blank rounds could cause a group to scatter?
    3. Most importantly, had you been with billy (hootersbilly), bill (brokensling), and Amber (.5) at Riley this weekend, you would have been able to miss the whole thing! (they send their regards, btw).

Jubbie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2008
    Northwest Indiana (slacker)
    Sorry to hear that happened so close to you and your family Prometheus. If you don't wanna move too far you can join me in Slacker. Not sure what the officer was thinking getting out of the cruiser when he was that outnumbered. Scariest part is that after scattering they turned back around, makes me think they might've been planning that part. I'd say keep your digital camera handy, I'm sure it would make it a lot easier to identify who was involved.

aclark

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    The 219
    Wow that is pretty messed up. I'm from Hobart/Portage and there are some bad pockets starting to pop up around both cities. It really is heading east more and more. A shame to see really because like spartan said, there really are some nice looking homes and what not up there, and its becoming ****.

agentl074

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2008

From three directions 3 groups of about a dozen people each, ranging in age from early teens to probably early 20's descended. All African American and all from my untrained eyes seemed to be displaying gang colors and up/down pant legs.

Ppl from each group had guys on cell phones (I can only guess calling for back up, not the police). When they met at the intersection the dance began. Shortly there after a cop cam through the intersection and just as he went passed noticed what was going on. Stopped and threw on the lights.

About half to 2/3 take off in all directions and the lone cop gets out and starts moving toward one guy/group. Then the wildest thing I've ever seen happen, happened...

The entire group that took off... CAME BACK... RUNNING! I thought for sure they meant to steal the cop car or jump the cop. I started to dial 9-1-1 because I just knew the cop was f**ked. Anyway, I lost sight and heard him scream and seconds later their are sirens and cars everywhere. No need to push send on the phone, they knew. Also I could see him basically spinning and keeping them back pointing and yelling. Honestly not much I could have done and he seemed to holding his own. He was in the middle of dozens of them and I was 150 yards away, I really felt for him.

I didn't see anyone arrested and I didn't really hang out, but it was wild. One 'kid' about 16-18 ran off threw his red sweat shirt in the bushes and ran back... either ditching gang colors or trying to conceal who he was for something else. By the peak there were a bunch of mothers and sisters gathering at the scene. It was all over in 15 minutes from the first meeting to all but a couple of the cops departing.

Anyway, this reaffirms my reasoning in carrying a full size handgun with 16+1 rounds (XD9). It also marks a new disturbing trend in my neighborhood. First it's WAY too early for this kind of crap, we are in for a LONG summer and number two this area has gone to hell in the 7 years I've lived here.

We need to move.

With something like that - even my Glock 20 10mm with 15+1 and extra mags would be absolutely useless. The only thing that would save me - in that overwhelming disparity of force - would be distance, my AR-10, armor and extra mags :ar15:

Seriously though, that lone cop was not very tactical. Do those officers there carry AR's in their vehicles at least? That would be a situation of strong tactical retreat and form up with response forces!

Last edited:

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    With something like that - even my Glock 20 10mm with 15+1 and extra mags would be absolutely useless. The only thing that would save me - in that overwhelming disparity of force - would be distance, my AR-10, armor and extra mags :ar15:

Seriously though, that lone cop was not very tactical. Do those officers there carry AR's in their vehicles at least? That would be a situation of strong tactical retreat and form up with response forces!

He waited for 15-30 seconds before getting out (he was calling it in) and by that point everyone (save the one group) had taken off.

He probably felt 'stuck' and that he couldn't just sit there while waiting for backup because of the situation and he was already in the middle of it. At this point regular people were looking out doors and windows. Would have made the Hammond PD look pretty bad.

Bad situation he just rolled into. Had he been paying closer attention he could have stopped well short of it before finding himself in the middle of it.

I also don't think he could have anticipated the scattering mass coming back like that either. As I said, he was only alone for 45 seconds or so between exiting the car and the first 2 cars pulling up. Within 3 minutes there were 6-7 cars.

Craziness for sure. I'd argue the 15+1 round gLock being useless (other the the jam and kaboom issues anyway ;) ). Once the shooting starts most will take off. It's not like you'd have to shoot all of them... we can only hope.

My point was that many gangbangers (wrongly) view pocket and mouse guns as a joke when in a large group. They usually view the full size semiauto with a bit more respect.

JosephR

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    NW IN
    Holy hell! I wonder what a citizen with an AR15 in the back of his jeep could do if he wandered into something like that where it looked like an officer was about to get gang-raped?

I wouldn't expect to shoot anyone but maybe a little show of force would help?

henktermaat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Holy hell! I wonder what a citizen with an AR15 in the back of his jeep could do if he wandered into something like that where it looked like an officer was about to get gang-raped?

That citizen could get painted as a gun nut by the Obamamedia, prompting a big story about how he was scaring all of the innocent little minority children and causing a public disturbance.

That's what he could do.

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana

Unless he was getting beat down, I'd stay clear of it. I have no idea how to "show of force" and not get my bluff called. Imagine those 30 some odd people turning all on you! Don't produce a weapon if you aren't going to use it.

Had I saw him go down, I honestly wouldn't have time to have run there before hearing sirens. No point in getting involved in that when you can hear his backup. You'd just be another threat at that point. Although, me being the only other white person (and in normal clothes), I'd think responding officers would be able to tell I wasn't part of either gang... but who knows.

We shouldn't shirk our duties to our fellow man in coming to their defense... at the same time don't jump the gun or act without a solid plan.

JosephR

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    NW IN
    Actually, "fear of great bodily harm to a third party" would be enough reason to start shooting. I'm not saying it would be smart but it would be do-able. I bet dropping one or two (enough for the rest of the herd to trip over) might be a good deterrent.

Mobs attack riot police when riot police have teargas and bats. They don't attack much if they think rifles will be used but attack when they think the cops can't use them.

Actually, if it were me, I'd be afraid of a citizen with a gun more than a cop- you know those guys never shoot because they are afraid of the repercussions and it's their job to be there but that crazy guy with the 11.5" AR and silencer jumping out of a jeep, well, he's f*cking crazy and maybe he shouldn't be messed with!

Top Bottom