• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sling10mm

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2012
    Picked up my new Savage Mark BTVSS this Friday from Boatman Marina north of Muncie (good people). I like the darker wood of the laminated stock. The action was a little sticky out of the box, but after a good cleaning, and light sanding with 800 grit sandpaper to take some rough edges off the bolt, it is much smoother now, and I hope will just get better with use.

I picked up a few boxes of Scorpion high velocity 22LR as well, so I am curious to see how that works. I got some good advice from 'vette regarding optics, and look forward to getting some glass on it and trying it out. This will just be a 50-100 yard plinker, but the range I go to has 200 and 300 yard lines as well, so it will be fun to see how it does at those ranges.

20140106_120444_zps8e391fb2.jpg

lmyer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 28, 2012
    South Bend
    Nice rife. Good value with those.

high velocity 22 ammo is not so accurate. It's really typically hunting ammo. Please try some Wolf Match or maybe even some CCI Standard Velocity (not Blazer or others). I think you will be very pleased.

Please remember that 22lr ammo performance can be quite temp dependent, so don't get discouraged if you're shooting in the cold, and also that you need to put 20 or so rounds of an ammo type through to condition the barrel with the different lubes each time you switch.

Last edited:

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Love that stock!!!

I have a base model Savage MKII and it is my very accurate garbage disposal for ammo that my semi-autos don't like or won't fire. Mine at 50 yards if so accurate it is boring, and 100 yards only makes it a little less boring as I actually have to work just a little to shoot ragged holes in the target. They are amazing rifles for the price. Yours should be no problem out to 300 yards with a good scope.

indianabob

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 27, 2011
    I have the same rifle in blue***,love it I topped mine with a BSA sweet 22 ...wouldn't change a thing shoots federal target ammo mighty well.

DFM914

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    Avon
    What a beauty! I have a Mark II with synthetic stock and it is a tack driver for sure but not near as nice looking as yours!

Sling10mm

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2012
    Thanks for all of the advice and kind words. I am definitely a noob when it comes to shooting rimfire accurately. I have a few other 22's, but nothing I have ever shot with precision, just plinking. I have mostly HV ammunition for my son's GSG-522, but do have some Federal standard velocity ammo. I would like to find some match ammo to see what it likes though. Any suggestions?

I have found some Eley match online, but that is about it.

lmyer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 28, 2012
    South Bend
    Thanks for all of the advice and kind words. I am definitely a noob when it comes to shooting rimfire accurately. I have a few other 22's, but nothing I have ever shot with precision, just plinking. I have mostly HV ammunition for my son's GSG-522, but do have some Federal standard velocity ammo. I would like to find some match ammo to see what it likes though. Any suggestions?

I have found some Eley match online, but that is about it.

Eley Black is standard Benchrest ammo. Federal is typical bulk 22 ammo. It's all about consistency from round to round. Extra QC costs. Wolf Match is known as pretty good mid-cost practice ammo but everyone wants it so is more difficult to find than the expensive stuff.

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Mishawaka
    My local gun shop sells the Fiocchi M-320 match grade .22, it's somewhat salty at $10 a box but if you want to see what your rifle can do then try some. The Wolf match grade is also a good choice.

350x350M3201.jpg

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Very nice rifle! Any clown can hit targets at 300 yards with a high powered rifle. When you can do it with a 22lr, your stock goes up in my book. I'm running a mark II FV-SR so this may not help much, but I would definitely try out the wolf match ammo, and also make sure you try some of the CCI Velocitor's when you go to stretch it out past 100 yards. The velocitors aren't really that accurate, but they're the fastest heavy 22lr load that I'm aware of and the momentum carries them downrange very well. Up close I shoot better with wolf match, out far at 300 yards it's easier to see hits (and misses) with the velocitors. Both of those ammos are hard/impossible to find these days, but my savage also runs well on the federal bulk ammo.

Sling10mm

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2012
    Well, I finally got the Savage out today. I tried the following ammunition:

CCI Minimags
    Eley Target
    Federal LRN
    Federal HV
    Remington Thunderbolt
    Remington Target
    Scorpion HV
    Winchester HV RN
    Winchester HV HP
    Wold Match

I only shot at 25 yards, and only five rounds of each ammo, but a couple of things became clear. First, the bore got dirty very quickly, so I started swabbing it after every five rounds. Second, it definitely had it's preferences, but really shot all fairly well with them all when I did my part. It liked the CCI Minimags, Wolf Match, and of all things, the Remington Thunderbolt. I had heard the Thunderbolt was garbage.

The next time I take it out I will shoot all ten types of ammunition again, but at 50 yards, and maybe more (10 rounds each) just to verify what works best.

Very pleased so far.

Top Bottom