• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sling10mm

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2012
    Just ordered a new Savage Mark II BTVS from Boatman Marina just north of Muncie. I've been looking for one of these for some time, and guess maybe just wasn't looking hard enough... their distributer had five in stock. This is a fairly new shop, and they don't have a lot of stock yet, but seem like great guys. I'm always glad to hear of a new gun shop opening in the area, and hope they do well.

Any recommendations for glass to put on it would be appreciated. This will just be for target shooting, and I don't want to spend a fortune, but would like to wring out the rifles potential.

Thanks,

Sling

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Define fortune? My definition of a fortune, and Donald Trump's is completely different, and we don't know what end of the spectrum you fall on.

What Ranges? The recommendation would be completely different for a 25-50yd Appleseed rifle, and a 400 yd Long range rifle.

Sling10mm

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2012
    Sorry, should have specified. I can shoot out to 300 yards at my range.

Maximum cost I would say is around that of the rifle... approximately $500; less would be better, but I want something that will last, and can be passed down to my son, and some day, his kids.

Thanks

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Sorry, should have specified. I can shoot out to 300 yards at my range.

Maximum cost I would say is around that of the rifle... approximately $500; less would be better, but I want something that will last, and can be passed down to my son, and some day, his kids.

Thanks

Thats helpful.

For 300 yds shooting your going to have about 52 moa of drop from a 50yd zero with match ammo. That means that you will need a canted base, and about 64 MOA of internal travel to do it without holding over. If you want to holdover that will save you some money on internal travel.

This would be my recomendation priced at 429
    Vortex Optics - Viper 6.5-20x44 PA Dead-Hold BDC

Its not the best zoom range if you intend to do much shooting south of 50 yds, but it meets your budget, and has enough travel to get you where your going.

This would be a better option, but it breaks your budget priced at 559. It has exposed turrets, and zero stops. The Zero stops will be very helpful because you will be dialing for 2 full revolutions, and its easy to get lost.

Vortex Optics - Viper HS-T 4-16x44 VMR-1 (MOA)

Sling10mm

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2012
    Thanks for the recommendations everyone. A lot to think about. I really like 'vette's second recommendation though.

The search for a base should be interesting...

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in

Allenicomp

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Carmel Indiana
    IMO people often settle for lesser quality optics on 22 cal weapons. Personally, I'm not sure why that is. I suppose many people think of a 22 simply as a "plinker". In reality, high quality rifles and pistols are stunningly accurate weapons. I would encourage you to put the very best optic on the rifle that you can afford. Chances are (if 22 ammo ever becomes plentiful again) you will shoot this gun as much or more than any others you may own. Why not have the best on that you use the most.

Case in point, I have a good friend who purchased a world class very expensive air rifle. He put a high grade lighted reticle 30 mm Leupold 3x9 scope on it. He has a set up in his basement for shooting. It is a ball one-holing 22 cal pellets at 25 feet. Somewhat anti-intuitative but he'll have a great time downstairs while the snow is blowing outside.

Top Bottom