• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hookedonjeep

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    With the other Sheepdogs
    I thought looking in people's windows came under "peeping tom" laws.

Not to try to thread jack or anything.....

A few years back, in a less than desirable neighborhood, I came out of my house one morning to rake leaves, and found a young teenagers cell phone laying in my grass. He was there the night before, peeping in my windows, trying to catch a glimpse of my daughter, presumably in a state of undress. I know this because he had several camera shots of my daughter moving around the house, all shot through windows. Now, what possessed him to leave the phone may have been me going outside the night before for a smoke, scaring him. Either way, I looked through his contacts, and called his mother. She was more than happy to bring him to me, to retrieve his phone and take an arse-chewing. I informed them both that it is indeed very dangerous to peer through windows; not only from the criminal nature of it, but the inherent danger of getting a beat down for either being a prowler or a peeping tom! I still think that kid shat himself....

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    Uh, there was no crime that Zimmerman caught.

You're quite right. If you **** someone off while performing duties as a Neighborhood Watch person, no one will start a fight with you, because the law protects you. Ask Trayvon Martin. Oh, wait, you can't ask him. . . and GZ wasn't unarmed while he was getting his head pounded into the pavement. I wonder if there's a lesson in there somewhere. . .

ultra...good

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    You're quite right. If you **** someone off while performing duties as a Neighborhood Watch person, no one will start a fight with you, because the law protects you. Ask Trayvon Martin. Oh, wait, you can't ask him. . . and GZ wasn't unarmed while he was getting his head pounded into the pavement. I wonder if there's a lesson in there somewhere. . .

Is the lesson that your not supposed to capitalize 'neighborhood watch' person because it is a common noun????
    If not, than I gots nuth'n

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Is there a cure for stupid? Maybe a pill or something?
    There are many cures for stupid. Arsenic. Cyanide. Carbon monoxide. High speed lead suppository. High dose radiation. I think generally what I'm saying here is death cures stupid. Not for the dead, stupid person himself, but it cures everyone else from having to deal with his stupidity.

Tranquil

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 1, 2013
    Plainfield
    I really thought Florida would be a great place to retire. But what fun would a retirement be with strict gun laws?

Guess I'm staying put!

opus1776

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    There are many cures for stupid. Arsenic. Cyanide. Carbon monoxide. High speed lead suppository. High dose radiation. I think generally what I'm saying here is death cures stupid. Not for the dead, stupid person himself, but it cures everyone else from having to deal with his stupidity.

Cathy, you forgot the most salient point ---- that stupid tends to breed before stupid is removed from the gene pool. Thus permitting stupid to go on for in perpetuity......

======================================
    "Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels" K. Moss
    You can NEVER be too rich or too thin.
    Life is not a journey, but a series of unplanned detours...
    Perfection: is not a goal---it's a demanded expectation.

Sausagecake

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 8, 2009
    Wherever I can eat S
    "The jury considered Zimmerman's self-defense claim in light of Florida's Stand Your Ground law, which rescinded the duty of citizens to try to retreat from a confrontation."

I had no idea it was my duty to run and turn my back towards someone who someone who wants to harm me.

Glock19

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 17, 2012
    NE Indianapolis
    Nothing illegal about them saying if you are VOLUNTEERING for a position there is a rule against something... Neighborhood watch are VOLUNTEERS! Soooo dont like it DONT VOLUNTEER!

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I thought looking in people's windows came under "peeping tom" laws.

I don't know about FL, but it's going to be very situation dependent in Indiana. If I stand on the street and look in your windows, that's legal. If I come on to your property and look in your window, my intent matters. If I knock on the door, you don't answer, and I look in to make sure your body isn't laying on the floor, legal. If I sneakily look in your bathroom window while you're taking a shower, probably illegal. Relevant part of the IC:

IC 35-45-4-5 Version a
    Voyeurism; public voyeurism

(1) who knowingly or intentionally:
    (A) peeps; or
    (B) goes upon the land of another with the intent to peep;
    into an occupied dwelling of another person; or
    (2) who knowingly or intentionally peeps into an area where an occupant of the area reasonably can be expected to disrobe, including:
    (A) restrooms;
    (B) baths;
    (C) showers; and
    (D) dressing rooms;
    without the consent of the other person, commits voyeurism, a Class B misdemeanor.

Pinchaser

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 26, 2012
    Nothing illegal about them saying if you are VOLUNTEERING for a position there is a rule against something... Neighborhood watch are VOLUNTEERS! Soooo dont like it DONT VOLUNTEER!
    Exactly. I have no problem with them wanting participants to not carry.

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have no problem if it's the private neighborhood watch organizers who are saying it without, coercion or even input from the public police leadership, but at least under Indiana law, as far as issues about firearms, ammunition, and firearm accessories, any publicly stated opinion from the police that anyone might mistake for an authoritative statement of law, IC 35-47-11.1-3 conclusively makes such statements unlawful, and hence, actionable. Not saying police officers from the top to the bottom can't have opinions about firearms, ammunition, or firearms accessories, but that they need to keep them to themselves.

Top Bottom