• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • digitick

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 7, 2012
    Ft. Wayne, IN
    ...5 gallon bucket from hardware store and a bag of sand normally used as balast in rear drive vehicles. Maybe cost me total 10-15 bucks...I filled the bucket and tapped the sand flat. I used a lid and cut out a notch in the top slightly larger than my USP. The trigger guard rests on the edge of the bucket lid edge cut out for balance and pointing assistance. When unloading the discharged round lands on the lid usually for easy retrieval...

Over a year later, but thank you for the simple instructions! The lid would help keep the mess to a minimum, and I suppose a panel of Kevlar or a couple phone books underneath wouldn't hurt, either!

Good for a newbie, like me, to make preparations before I bring my first gun home.

sailorjim

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2011
    We used to call it a "clearing barrel" it was a 50 gallon steel drum filled with sand and set at a 45 degree angle on a steel stand next to the entrance to the base. it would stop anything we were carying. You really didn't want to put one in that barrell......

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    A box of old magazines works, and doesn't get any flak from the wifey.

OK, not as much flak. :)

VN Vet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Since you are not in the Military anymore and as civilians, why don't you just clear the round from the chamber by racking the slide, bolt, opening the cyclinder or open gate of a revolver? It is easy to do, IF, you remember to do it. (I'll never forget (May 9th, 2012) Trees work good too. Your Uncle Sam isn't paying for the ammo anymore.

However, to see how a particular round cycles through your fireare, a barrel of sand works great. Me, I go to a gun range.

I like the idea of a lid for the sand bucket. I have cats.

Safe shooting,
    Vv

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    I use one of those orange construction site barrels when I clear my guns.

Although, it really freaks out the guys working in the construction zones for some reason. :dunno:

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I use one of those orange construction site barrels when I clear my guns.

Although, it really freaks out the guys working in the construction zones for some reason. :dunno:

:laugh:

I wonder if it's the gun or the fact that you go there wearing just a pair of boots and a speedo that freaks them out. :dunno:

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    :laugh:

I wonder if it's the gun or the fact that you go there wearing just a pair of boots and a speedo that freaks them out. :dunno:

I don't know, but I usually get a :yesway: from this dude....

village-people-construction-worker.jpg

He must carry too.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Just becareful and point at the ground or floor a small bullet hole is not hard to fix and it shouldn't happen often anyways

Not an option if you live above people in an apartment though. :noway:

You also dont want to shoot at a concrete floor or anything that can provide ricochets.

critter592

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    North Central, IN
    Sorry guys! Here's what I did.

picture.php

Pretty simple and inexpensive. And it is designated as the place to load and clear. I have two. One in near my safe. And one next to the bench where I clean my guns.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    A good option is also the Safe Direction ballistic pad, it's compact and you can take it anywhere. There are demos on youtube of its use. Whatever method you devise don't let your guard down. For some reason when people get near clearing barrels they lose their mind and think because they have a safe area to load/unload they don't have to pay attention. Some of it is the propensity for the military not to trust the troops with loaded weapons hence a lot of loading/unloading but too often these clearing barrels turn into ND stations. I think i've posted the picture of the sign before at one of these almighty clearing barrels with about four bullet holes in it.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    A ballistic panel is a good idea.It takes almost no room and even one panel should stop any handgun caliber round.

Yup. The panels are a bit more expansive than a bucket + sand, but they're also portable (can be taken to the range), and can be used for other things (like a ballistic panel in a briefcase/backpack) when not being used for clearing.

Terry4570

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    N.A. IN.
    Sorry guys! Here's what I did.

picture.php

Pretty simple and inexpensive. And it is designated as the place to load and clear. I have two. One in near my safe. And one next to the bench where I clean my guns.
    Same here, very easy to make and cheap!I have heard it will stop a rifle round,not sure about that would not want to stand next to it to see,maybe climb a ladder to see?I did put a little bit of water in mine and it is sealed,you have to shoot thought double H.D shipping tape.You can sticking your finger in dry sand but wet or damp is not so easy so it should stop a bullet faster and not go as deep into the sand.

Top Bottom