• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • peberly400

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2012
    Warsaw
    This will be my first time going salmon fishing. I am going to trail creek in michigan city. I will probably going around the first weekend in october. Anyone have any experience I'm salmon fishing?? I dont know what type of equipment I need, and looking for a good bangfor your buck rod/reel. Also any recommendations on line?

Dutch87

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2013
    kokomo
    I have salmon fishing experience from when I grew up in Alaska, lures work well, I always c:yesway:aught them off of silver and pink spoons. As for a rod and real, is just go with an UglyStick, always good for salmon. And for a reel, decently good open face with 10-20lb test.

For the simplicities, that's all I've got for ya! Lures and uglystick and an openface reel. Any other questions just ask! Sure do miss salmon fishing! Haven't been in forever..

peberly400

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2012
    Warsaw
    I was looking at the abu silver maxx. Should i get a super heavy rod, or more like a bass rod. And for the 10-20 test line, should it be mono, braided or just whatever?

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Steelhead is what you want to target if you ask me. Much better fighters. I use floating jointed lures and if at night I use a couple of the glow in the dark types. Heck I have fished right Dow town mich city and done well. Few fish will jump out of the water on one side of the creek then jump back in and head straight for you only to the rip line off the reel and jump onto land on the second side of the bank. Nice fighters love to jump.

Spinning rod with nice drag 10 pound or better mono.

The salmon like spawn bags off the bottom with a bobber or a indicator float.

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    I have caught several Kings and Cohos in Trail Creek, Little Cal, etc. 8 weight fly rod with heavy fluorocarbon leader. These fish are not eating, they are heading up stream to spawn and really only get caught when your line drags into their open mouth. High Stick egg pattern flies through holes and watch your line for any hesitation. Set the hook and hang on. Half of them you will catch in the dorsal fin or the tail. I have landed large fish with several flies broken off in various parts of their bodies.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2012
    Tippecanoe County
    The salmon we've caught in the past during the fall run on Trail Creek were not very edible. Keep in mind that the spawning run is the end of the road for those fish and most of them will be floating belly up within a week. The flesh from the several we caught (snagged) was whitish and lacked much, if any, flavor. You'll catch the best fish at the beginning of the run. Good luck.

mayor al

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 25, 2013
    Floyd/Harrison Count
    Can anyone recommend a good "Outfitter/Charter Day Tripper" based somewhere along Lake Michigan in the Door County/ Green Bay area of Wisconsin? We are considering doing a 5 person Day Boat Salmon trip sometime this Fall, and are looking for a good trustworthy charter deal. Any help will be appreciated/
    AL

uberpeck

Marksman
    Rating - 90.9%
    10   1   0
    Mar 2, 2012
    Indianapolis, IN
    Do remember though that you can only keep the fish if you catch it through the mouth, any foul-hooks must be returned. I'm telling you this because I was up at sleeping bear the second week of September doing the same and CO's bagged a guy for that; they had treestand a and binocs scoping the rivers.

Top Bottom