• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    I suddenly find myself wanting one. I understand that it's not an 870, but my only shotty is a Mossberg 500 and I want something different. I will convert it myself; anyone have any tips? I've been surfing saiga-12.com for a couple of days...

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    Gunfixers improved gas plug fixed all my issues using target/bird loads. You'll definitely need one of those.

I'd heard about that, but first I have to get a Saiga 12! :D There's a lot of talk about this "auto regulating" gas plug, and the pre-release test mule seemed to do well. http://www.tac47industries.com/content-product_info/product_id-2315/tac_47_a_k_a_auto_plug.html, so I might have to get one... Guess I'll hit the S. Indiana/Louisville circiut tomorrow and see what/if anything's availible.

Juggernaut

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2010
    Owosso Mi
    Gunfixers knob is good to go, along with the new MD arms and testing on the new TAC-47 is going well.... BUT, you don't NEED another plug with a properly tuned weapon... I run a factory plug flawlessly for years... Most of the whining you hear on the net are from people who do not educate themselves on the platform...
    Out of the box, Saigas need some work..... Even a fresh restoration (Conversion) nees some polish on the hammer/bolt carrier.. (Or a couple 100 rounds ran through it...) the more you shoot a Saiga 12, the better it performs...

No O rings to crack, box mag fed... no fumbling reloads under stress....

I'd bet my life on my tuned Saiga over any other shotty out there...including pumps...

jimbo-indy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    N.W. Indy
    If your surfing the Saiga12 forum, pay attention to what Tony form Tromix has to say. This guy knows of what he speaks.He modified Epsylum's Saiga and it runs fantastic.
    Also, just purchased a quad-rail form Chaos, also on that forum. Looks very nice. Will be installing tonight. Chaos was good people to deal with.

Juggernaut

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2010
    Owosso Mi
    Agreed! Mr. Rumore is Tops!
    As are Will Hayden of Red Jacket, Jim Fuller from Rifle Dynamics... but My Go to Guy is Brian Smithwick of Dinzag Arms.....

ayz

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    i wouldn't get one

they seem cool but read around, i recall they had issues with loading a new mag as the chamber wouldn't stay open

so if you want one for novelty, by all means, but i wouldn't rely on one for home defense or sport just because once you're out of 5 shots you're done

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    i wouldn't get one

they seem cool but read around, i recall they had issues with loading a new mag as the chamber wouldn't stay open

so if you want one for novelty, by all means, but i wouldn't rely on one for home defense or sport just because once you're out of 5 shots you're done

Huh? Out of 5 then done? WTH are you talking about? The one guy on this forum who is probably the most versed in this platform is the Juggernaut. He knows of what he speaks. Do you run a Saiga or have practical working knowledge of them?

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne

jimbo-indy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    N.W. Indy
    Big plus for the 10 round AGP mags. Any 870's out there that hold 10 and have a short barrel and folding stock???
    If you need more than 10 rounds of 12 ga. for home defense, you are living in the wrong neighborhood. With 5 mags, that's 2 full boxes of shells. Probably wouldn't be much of the house standing after that. They do make last round bolt hold-open devices. Got one but need to install it.

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    Thanks! Good info. I've "lightly" snooped around the local shops without success, so I may be ordering one from K-Var or Centerfire. Centerfire is a few bucks more, and they have 2 models. I think they're the IO-8 and IO-9. K-Var doesn't offer much of a description. Any insight on the better of the 3? The $30 price difference is a non-factor.

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    The trigger guard conversion from MS looks pretty good, I was planning on recycling the old one. Thanks for the tip! Now let's talk stocks...

I shoot my AR "nose to charging handle;" which is 9" LOP as measured from the front of the castle nut. Is it stupid to think I can shoot an S12 like that? I have zero idea how much recoil the gas system soaks up as I'm not a shotgun guy. yet. I don't think I want a folder, but I like the Ace skeleton. How's the Ace compare to the Tromix? I've read some of www.forum.Saiga-12.com opinions, but I value this boards opinions more. 'Course it's nice when all opinions line up... yeah, right.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    I shoot my AR "nose to charging handle;" which is 9" LOP as measured from the front of the castle nut. Is it stupid to think I can shoot an S12 like that?

My Saiga-12 house gun wears a VLTOR carbine modstock on a RE-47 receiver extension. It measures 8" from the back of the receiver to the end of the recoil pad with the stock in the fully collapsed position. I shoot mine with the stock extended to position 2 or 3 (depending on gear), which gives an 8-3/4" or 9-1/2" length, respectively.

I like the Ace skeleton.

Had one. Looked cool, SUCKED to shoot. I'd pass on all of the skeleton or wire-type stocks and go with either a standard AK fixed stock or some kind of AR type stock.

My :twocents:

E'villeGunner

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    Although I don't have a Saiga 12.......yet. I do have the Saiga .308 converted and a 7.62x39 with wood monte carlo stock and 20 in. bbl. Both are awesome! I'm sure the 12 would be no less. I have Surefire 30 rd mags for my 7.62x39 and they perform flawlessly, so I can't imagine the 12s would be any different. Saiga-12.com is THE forum if your interested in getting a Saiga, that's what they specialize in.
    Good luck in your endeavor.

jphillips9

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 16, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Check with Tactical Shotgunner (Gungho_1989). Last time I was in there he had 2 or 3 of them. I think they were $500 or $550. Ron and Patty are good people to deal with. I've bought several guns from them in the past.

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    Centerfire ($499) in Versailles, KY and Gilberts ($469) in Frankfort, KY have them in stock. Anyone dealt with either of these? I can drive to them on Friday... sales tax would be cheaper than transfer and shipping, and I'd get to handle/inspect. Thoughts?

Top Bottom