• bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Talk about thread hijacking.....

The OP specifically said he was not asking about 1911 style pistols..

Real entertaining though. Thanks for all the info.

Regards
    If thread jacking was against the law, we'd all be in jail.:):

Can't hardly let the gentleman that pointed out he was running around in condition 2 do it without letting him know he is not safe;

Condition Two is problematic for several reasons, and is the source of more negligent discharges than the other conditions. When you rack the slide to chamber a round in the 1911, the hammer is cocked and the manual safety is off. There is no way to avoid this with the 1911 design. In order to lower the hammer, the trigger must be pulled and the hammer lowered slowly with the thumb onto the firing pin, the end of which is only a few millimeters away from the primer of a live round. Should the thumb slip, the hammer would drop and fire the gun. Not only would a round be launched in circumstances which would be at best embarrassing and possibly tragic, but also the thumb would be behind the slide as it cycled, resulting in serious injury to the hand. A second problem with this condition is that the true 1911A1 does not have a firing pin block and an impact on the hammer which is resting on the firing pin could conceivably cause the gun to go off, although actual instances of this are virtually nonexistent. Finally, in order to fire the gun, the hammer must be manually cocked, again with the thumb. In an emergency situation, this adds another opportunity for something to go wrong and slows the acquisition of the sight picture.
    The Sight 1911 Conditions of Readiness Page

agentl074

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2008
    Well... as gung ho as the Air Force is about safety - they trained us to keep our side arms on DA and safety off - just as if the M9 was a typical DA....

concrete dog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 19, 2008
    Goshen
    safety on

i have carried a beretta 92fs for about 8 years with the safety on.for me it is a safety issue with kids around.when it comes out of the holster thumb hits the safety up and ready to go:draw:

danielocean03

Come in, Manacle Shark.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Hamilton County
    Wow! I cant believe no one jumped on me for saying I stuff a cocked revolver down my pants without a holster... it was a joke by the way.

I carry Glock.

Honestly, I don't think anyone wanted to argue with "The King". He's kind of creepy and doesn't talk, so whenever he says that he carries a loaded revolver mexican with the hammer cocked, no one wants to F with him. :D

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    I'm really surprised that no one has said it.

Safeties? WE DON' NEED NO STINKIN' SAFETIES!!

Glocks don't have any external safeties. Three internal ones, though.

Hoot.JPG

"This is my Safety, Sir."

Marc

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2008
    District 6
    i think i might start carrying condition 1 but when im at home and/or sleeping i may have my gun set in condition 2 (i see it as a less chance for me to hit the safety off and tripping the trigger in my subconcious.)

mjmcg

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2009
    The author of this obviously acknowledges that there is no right or wrong answer and was actually taking a poll of opinions across the board.
    Which implies that the "right" answer, if there was one, would be to carry however you are best left feeling confident, comfortable and responsible.
    As with anything, enough training and practice can elevate your awareness and proficiency with anything, firearms included. It's been suggested that carrying with a safety engaged (if so equipped) will lead to a panic factor hang up in a time of need and cause you to to fail to perform with the weapon. That may be so in the case of the untrained inexperienced person who has not taken measures sufficient to ensure that drawing the pistol and disengaging the safety is all part of an automatic involuntary routine. If that were the case, then I would argue that in a panic "do or die" scenario of self defense, one would be apt to also forget to unsnap the thumb break as part of the draw, or for that matter to pull the trigger. Only an inexperienced individual would cite "forgetting to unlock the safety" as an excuse to need to carry w/o the safety engaged. Other than that it's purely a matter of comfort and confidence, nothing more.
    Shall we forget the fellow in PA who, while attending a gun show dropped his revolver while in the restroom and it landed on the hammer spur firing the weapon? All the "long D/A trigger pull in the world didn't stop that Unintentional Discharge from happening did it? (notice UD, not ND...big difference)
    I have noticed magazine editors testing D/A only pistols for reliability and safety by loading dummy rounds of brass and primer only loaded in the chamber and dropping the test pieces from varying heights onto varying surfaces to see if they would indeed fire. I have not read of one doing so yet, but the point is, if they knew that 100% for certain they won't go off, then why trouble themselves with the dummy primed round? Heck just toss in a live hot round and start tossing it on the ground and call it a day right? Or for that matter why bother testing that aspect at all if it's a foregone conclusion that they simply can't and won't go off unless intended? No testing would be necessary.
    PS: I carry both ways depending on what side of the bed I crawl out of that day :)

Last edited:
    Top Bottom